• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Money Skins

Which holes? I don't recall this, just Jakob missing putts on holes he should have won. James missed a 35-footer too but not on purpose for sure, he was p.o.'d at himself after making an incredible 450-foot flex to C2 for the look.

this didn't happen in the final round, but in the qualifying rounds leading up to the final round.

Are you sure that's how the payout worked?

Like Calvin won so his total payout was 50k, regardless of how many skins he won, just as long as he won the match as I understand it.

Were 2, 3, 4 on a similar fixed payout structure or just the skins they won? Asking because I don't recall any details on that.

from the GK pro video:

ieSjdVN.png

everything else I've read also reports these prize amounts for the final round

from the GK pro video:

ieSjdVN.png

that kind of sucks.

But, I believe James did get paid for previous rounds.

It does put Vinny in kind of a dickish spotlight. Obviously he was not obligated to lose holes so others could get paid, but if it were me and I knew my paycheck was set, I feel certain I would back it down.

that kind of sucks.

But, I believe James did get paid for previous rounds.

It does put Vinny in kind of a dickish spotlight. Obviously he was not obligated to lose holes so others could get paid, but if it were me and I knew my paycheck was set, I feel certain I would back it down.

Yes, true, I believe they all received money not listed above for competing in the previous rounds. but tbh the whole thing was a little much for me to follow from top to bottom so I'm not sure about it haha

I think you can hear it in Uli's voice that he's legit surprised that Calvin kinda goes for it on the last few holes. or maybe I'm just projecting

from the GK pro video:

ieSjdVN.png

Ah that changes it a bit. I thought that, aside from the 50K for the winner - the others received $$$ based on their skins winnings. It felt that way from the way the others talked about Calvin taking money out of their pockets as they teed on 17.

Yes, true, I believe they all received money not listed above for competing in the previous rounds. but tbh the whole thing was a little much for me to follow from top to bottom so I'm not sure about it haha

I think you can hear it in Uli's voice that he's legit surprised that Calvin kinda goes for it on the last few holes. or maybe I'm just projecting

I wonder if there would have been playoff if they pushed on hole 18?

It's a tough spot for Calvin to be - if he tries to make that putt on hole 18, he annoys the guy closest (Uli), if he doesn't try, he hands the money to Uli and annoys the other players.

It is the most fair to all the other players for him to just go for it and let the chips fall where they may.

It's a tough spot for Calvin to be.
Not IMHO. It's what, a 425' water carry? No one would bat an eye if he donated a disc to the pond. Or he could have tried some crazy Simon line for the albatross look which of course wouldn't have cleared both ponds.

Don't think he deepened any friendships on the last two holes.

I like the suggestion of just no more playing at that point. He's good at razzing, could have made good footage

Short story: When spoilers got out about Scott Stokley's skins win, GK (and Eagles Crossing) wanted to the next match to be live. GKPro couldn't figure out all the mechanics of live-streaming Big Money Skins. A heavyweight name, reliable, media producer type (retired and unnamed) often usedMason, and recommended them to Eagle's Crossing. Joe Mason demonstrates extreme knowledge and prowess in live media, wooing GKPro too with his lingo, experience, and touring the property. GK didn't get any sense that Mason wouldn't come through until the night before.

Short story: When spoilers got out about Scott Stokley's skins win, GK (and Eagles Crossing) wanted to the next match to be live. GKPro couldn't figure out all the mechanics of live-streaming Big Money Skins. A heavyweight name, reliable, media producer type (retired and unnamed) often usedMason, and recommended them to Eagle's Crossing. Joe Mason demonstrates extreme knowledge and prowess in live media, wooing GKPro too with his lingo, experience, and touring the property. GK didn't get any sense that Mason wouldn't come through until the night before.

Ie conman/snake oil salesman using big words.

I wonder if there would have been playoff if they pushed on hole 18?

It's a tough spot for Calvin to be - if he tries to make that putt on hole 18, he annoys the guy closest (Uli), if he doesn't try, he hands the money to Uli and annoys the other players.

It is the most fair to all the other players for him to just go for it and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't totally disagree with this. Play the game. That's why you are here. Probably shouldn't judge him harshly for simplifying the equation.

BUT, it's not how I personally would do it now or when I was younger.

My view would be—he took a dive? That was cool of him. Alternatively, he played it out at 100%? His prerogative. .

Not IMHO. It's what, a 425' water carry? No one would bat an eye if he donated a disc to the pond. Or he could have tried some crazy Simon line for the albatross look which of course wouldn't have cleared both ponds.

Don't think he deepened any friendships on the last two holes.

I like the suggestion of just no more playing at that point. He's good at razzing, could have made good footage

Hopefully the organizers rethink the end game for next year's version.

I disagree with the bold part more. How is that any better from him actually playing? I'd rather see him effect the end results by his playing then with razzing. And how can you really expect a top 5 player in the world to tank a shot? That goes against every rule of sportsmanship in the books. IMHO.

I took all the comments from him and Uli on the last two hold as them razzing each other. They are both pros. I didn't take any of that seriously. Much ado about nothing.

Also, I think like any other topic, DGCR tends to way over think and over analyze anything, including this, lol.

And how can you really expect a top 5 player in the world to tank a shot? That goes against every rule of sportsmanship in the books. IMHO.

as far as I understand there were instances earlier in the event where player A intentionally doesn't win a hole so that player B can win the skins, thereby mathematically making it impossible for players C,D to catch A

so there were a lot of issues with how the event was designed lol

as far as I understand there were instances earlier in the event where player A intentionally doesn't win a hole so that player B can win the skins, thereby mathematically making it impossible for players C,D to catch A

Dang that's some serious gamesmanship.

I retract my statement in part then. I suppose the rules and format dictate what is good sportsmanship and not.

Yes—a push, would give C/D a chance to grab multiple skins on the next hole.

definitely a weird situation all around haha

according to www.bigmoneyskins.com they're already getting ready for 2023 so hopefully they figure this stuff out for next year.

I would not be surprised if DGN figures out a way to do this right. If they can figure out how to temporarily set up a course for streaming, that's pure gold.they'd be unlimited to the courses possible to play.

The GKPro guy in the Foundation interview was confident that Mason had plenty of gear, and appropriate gear to make the live stream work, but the show was internally sabotaged by bewildered production.

Whatever satellite deal they setup, might be the a-ha moment for DGN. Side note: I work in telecommunications. Portable cell towers are regularly set up at events. May be cost prohibitive at the moment, but down the road who knows.

I would not be surprised if DGN figures out a way to do this right. If they can figure out how to temporarily set up a course for streaming, that's pure gold.they'd be unlimited to the courses possible to play.

The GKPro guy in the Foundation interview was confident that Mason had plenty of gear, and appropriate gear to make the live stream work, but the show was internally sabotaged by bewildered production.

Whatever satellite deal they setup, might be the a-ha moment for DGN. Side note: I work in telecommunications. Portable cell towers are regularly set up at events. May be cost prohibitive at the moment, but down the road who knows.

Haven't watched the interview yet, but DGN has been stymied multiple times by lack of sufficient cell network either signal coverage and/or bandwidth. It's definitely not trivial to solve with the kind of budgets we're are dealing with in DG. On the little bit of the live coverage that there was from Eagle's Crossing, you could see that they were trying to get around this sort of limitation by using a hard wired connection to the camera.

And that seemed to cause a huge part of the issue. You saw much of the coverage being from fixed camera points where they were trying to capture shots that were being executed hundreds of feet away, and behind trees.

I can see how it would be feasible to use hardwired endpoints for tee shots. Maybe it could work for catch cam ( especially at the basket), but I can't see how it would work for getting coverage of people throwing their approaches, upshots, and scrambles. ISTM you'd have to have sort sort of wireless coverage for that. Maybe a hard wired WiFi end point that someone is moving to keep in range of the camera. I don't know. I have no experience with trying to solve those kind of connectivity problems, so I'm just spitballing.

Then you also have the issue of mic'ing the players up. That's a huge part of the attraction for skins, and that requires some sort of wireless audio set up. How's that going to work? Or do you just forego it?

Another thing is that a wired camera implies either a lengthier set-up for the cameraman (who has to actually plug in and connect to the endpoint). Or a whole bunch more cameras and cameramen. Or some combination. Usually they have a limited number of roving camera crews who move to where the director wants the action captured. I'm not sure how you actually do that with hardwired cameras.

definitely a weird situation all around haha

according to www.bigmoneyskins.com they're already getting ready for 2023 so hopefully they figure this stuff out for next year.

The owner clearly has a vision. You can see that with the little speech he gave afterwards, and the attempt to make that disc holding guy a distinct brand of the course. He seems to have enough money to make a full-fledged attempt to pull it off. Regardless of whether he knows DG well enough to create a satisfying end product, or knows when to be humble and accept the advice of others, you have to admire the effort and the chutzpah.

They need to get Bert out to Eagle's Crossing.

Let him put a video out, he'll be blown away. Dude has a boatload of cash, connections to big money sponsors, and production.

Latest posts