• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Disc Golf Pet Peeve

Some GREAT Thoughts!

LOVE some of these! They made me think, "Hell, YES!!" Litterers/vandals; shirtless/crappily dressed players; unruly kids and dogs; 'heave and hope' forest holes/courses....but at the moment, I'd say my biggest peeve is the standard, stereotypical, slothful, surly, insubordinate, mid-/lower-level grunt government employees/park 'workers' who detest disc golf (or any other activity, actually) for making them do some real work, like getting off their big riding mowers to 'weed eat' around a basket for a whole thirty seconds or so....or anything that takes away from their 'X-box time on the city dime'.

People who (1) play a lot of disc golf, (2) will say what "needs to be done", but (3) are never willing to do it.

From internet forums to the local course and club.

Crappy player packs. I just payed around 30$ for a mini not even stamped with the tourney name and a waterbottle. Disc golf in Asia, more often than not, is a cheap immitation of the real thing.

Last edited:
People who (1) play a lot of disc golf, (2) will say what "needs to be done", but (3) are never willing to do it.

From internet forums to the local course and club.

My sentiments exactly. I find that many "professionals" in our game fall in these categories unfortunately.

Dog owners who ignore the leash laws and their dog runs over and bites holes in my disc. Dog poop on course
:) I must say my brother and I are guilty of leaving the dog off the leash because she HAS to run and she loves when we throw discs for her. On July 4th she was amped and literally ran around the whole time we were there. So pup has boundless energy and needs exercise. She's a good doggy, though.

Also she finds all of our discs that get in the thick brush :thmbup:

I will go ahead and add a situation I found myself in yesterday. Some guys started throwing on our hole while we were still on it. It looked to me like they stumbled out of the woods from another hole and somehow found themselves on our fairway (as I was looking back and didn't see them tee off). Although I was a bit irked that they threw on us we finished soon enough and continued.

My friends suggested we let them play through as we were a larger group and there were two of them. They teed off and threw some errant throws that weren't great but weren't too bad. Then they were looking for their discs for about 5-10 minutes (not really difficult to find if you watched, as I stated earlier) and they didn't even look back to acknowledge that we were then waiting on them. So we got to throw after about 10 minutes and on to the next hole... These guys were looking for their discs on every single hole. We even played a few holes that circle back around to one they were on and the guys were still looking for their discs after about 15 minutes or so.

So anyway, then a family got behind us (who I think was skipping holes) and I had told our group earlier we're not letting anyone else play through because we would be waiting on everyone. But my point here is that people then kept getting on our butt and I hate to be rushed on the course. It seems like a lot of casual players are always rushing and it gets really annoying to always have people creeping up on you and you can't take 30 seconds to set up a shot.

Then those guys eventually caught back up to us because my friends kept having to find their discs. They asked if they could play through when we had just holed out on 16.... Yea, you can TRY to play through on the last 2 holes but I doubt you will achieve this goal.

Oh also they were carrying their discs in plastic bags :D

I know this sounds hateful but I just get irritated that a lot of people don't display common courtesy and I am running out of patience for that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Peeve: Folks who don't shout out "GOT IT!!" loud and clear so that everyone in the group can hear. I hate looking for someone else's disc in the tall weeds, only to find out they already found and threw it a while ago.

Peeve: Folks who don't shout out "GOT IT!!" loud and clear so that everyone in the group can hear. I hate looking for someone else's disc in the tall weeds, only to find out they already found and threw it a while ago.
...or "fore!" or even "clear" for that matter. It seems like no one yells "fore" when their discs are coming right at your skull (even my friends weren't saying this, so I gotta teach them what goes on).

Nobody EVER says "clear" when they've finished a hole. I know not everyone is well-versed in DG etiquette but sometimes you can't see the pin and you are waiting for confirmation to throw on a busy course. It's not just n00bs who do this, either :(

-children. Breeding is child abuse. to accidentally impregnate a woman is one thing. to intentionally breed is at the same time ignorant, selfish, and futile.

I have to assume you are trolling. If not......

A child is the second greatest gift on earth. I hope that you one day get to experience that. Accidentally impregnating a woman that you don't plan on staying with is selfish and ignorant.

People that dress like bums when they play. This is a sport and we are all ambassadors to it. Wind breaker outfits and cut off tees with giant hiking boots.. Yeah, that's gonna get us taken seriously. :sick: This is a reason why its looked at as a silly hobby or counter culture.

Self-proclaimed fashion police trying to dictate what other people wear or do would be among my many pet peeves.

Self-proclaimed fashion police trying to dictate what other people wear or do would be among my many pet peeves.

What makes that even funnier is he calls himself Rake Yohn.

This guy.

2521251691_7a551808c9.jpg

Who happens to look very much like a bum but has a BS in chemistry from Penn State and works as a chemist. So it's not always wise to judge someone on what they choose to wear or how they present themselves.

I don't care how people view it honestly. You either play or you don't. If you want to think of it as counter culture or a stupid hobby that's cool. I probably don't enjoy everything they do either. I just don't make it a habit to judge a hobby or activity until I've given it a chance myself. Same with people.

People that dress like bums when they play. This is a sport and we are all ambassadors to it. Wind breaker outfits and cut off tees with giant hiking boots.. Yeah, that's gonna get us taken seriously. :sick: This is a reason why its looked at as a silly hobby or counter culture.

Mid level players that look down on any player getting started. The reason the sport is full of "casuals" is probably because there is so much elitism in the game. Heaven forbid a new group of players come out on a league night because then all we get to hear is how the casual nOOb hyzers is slowing up the course for the locals.

People hocking discs on the cheap. Used, fine. But why is someone selling TONS of new plastic just to make a buck a disc? Manufactures really need to get this under control.

Perhaps it is only you that feels the need "to be taken seriously"? I have found that respect, intelligence and an unwavering effort to do the right thing gets me taken quite seriously.

Seconded. :hfive:

It has probably been said over and over because it's a huge issue in our sport nowadays, but now that we've lost a course in our area as of yesterday...the Kalamazoo Air Zoo, which was going to be an Am Worlds course in 2015 for the easier divisions...my biggest pet peeve in Disc Golf is, for certain, lowlifes who come out and give our sport a bad name by being disrespectful punks. They're littering, drinking, property-destroying little *******s who carouse in large, loud and unsightly groups.

I'm beginning to think we've grown enough now. We don't need new people to this sport who are going to smear our image and make it more difficult to install and maintain courses.

Well, now our local easy/fun course that was awesome for a quick round is gone. Son of a bitch!!

I believe that 99% of the pet peeves listed here could be alleviated through education.

Having said that, how would that education be presented?

:(

I believe that 99% of the pet peeves listed here could be alleviated through education.

Having said that, how would that education be presented?

:(

It's all up to the players. No governing body is going to educate the VAST amount of new players or existing "chuckers" because frankly they don't give a damn what a pdga is. It's all how people are exposed to the sport from what iv'e seen. However people are exposed is what will duplicate, if poor players bring their friends for a round of one disc target practice then that's what we'll get more of. However if a new person to the sport sees what a real round of disc is like and how athletic it really is they will gravitate that way. I've had a hand in creating a ton of players that see this as a sport instead of a way to waste time. Create players like that there will be no room for idiots on the courses.

It's all up to the players. No governing body is going to educate the VAST amount of new players or existing "chuckers" because frankly they don't give a damn what a pdga is. It's all how people are exposed to the sport from what iv'e seen. However people are exposed is what will duplicate, if poor players bring their friends for a round of one disc target practice then that's what we'll get more of. However if a new person to the sport sees what a real round of disc is like and how athletic it really is they will gravitate that way. I've had a hand in creating a ton of players that see this as a sport instead of a way to waste time. Create players like that there will be no room for idiots on the courses.

Say what you will, but he makes a good point.

This seems to work pretty well out here.
Also, teach new players to respect the course and all that goes into installing & maintaining it and encourage them to show up on workdays. Throw in some food and drink for their effort too.

Constantly negative players. Just keep it to yourself, I don't need to hear about every bad shot you throw the entire round. I don't mind the avg blowup, it's the constant crap that never ends. I might blowup some too but I mix in some positive vibes to help it balance out. You're out to have fun, look at the bright side once in a while. You could have grown up in Somalia or something, 1st world problems.

My biggest disc golf-related pet peeve is when someone starts a thread on a forum that reads like this: "hey I just bought <insert disc name here>. What can I expect out of it?" Ugh... 1.) Buying a disc without researching it = dumb. 2.) I don't know how you throw. Therefore I can't really tell you exactly what to expect out of ANY disc. And 3.) JUST GO THROW THE DAMN THING!!