• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Disc Golf Pet Peeve

When new courses designed by amateurs are put into the ground without properly thinking them through thoroughly.:doh:

You should try the course they put here at Central Park in Valencia. It was designed by a 12 year old boy scout. Props for him getting one in but the front nine is meant to be played by elementary school kids. The back nine is stupid long, half of which is thru a heavily populated multi use park and the second half thru no mans land knee deep with rattlesnakes

Well, in defense of the "script" users, this is probably a more common word that "scrip". Scrip is generally reserved for use in money replacement terms...gift certificates, military payment.

Hollywood scripts, short for medical perscriptions, and computer programming all would be the correct usage of the word script.

While I wholeheartedly respect your pet peeve, I find very few occasions where the word scrip is even used, let alone incorrectly.

Here in NorCal we like to let the Ams pick their own plastic, so we issue scrip. The problem is that most people in the "plastic" divisions use the wrong word, "script". I'm just trying to educate the general public. It's kind of like when people say they are going to start a new putting regiment. It just ain't right!

Here in NorCal we like to let the Ams pick their own plastic, so we issue scrip. The problem is that most people in the "plastic" divisions use the wrong word, "script". I'm just trying to educate the general public. It's kind of like when people say they are going to start a new putting regiment. It just ain't right!

Never heard it used in any spelling for swag, merch, funny money, payout... etc.

People taking bad photos of discs. Especially with them sitting in their lap or ones that include their feet in the photo.

Take two seconds to find a neutral back ground, some good light, snap a decent pic or two, three or seven and show us the best one. Lastly get you feet out of the frame!

No more dude feet in pics...:thmbdown:.

Last edited:
To swing back to the conversation about pedestrians on the course, it bugs me how some disc golfers try to get their attention. We're on the tee pad, a family starts taking family photos 250 feet down the fairway, and the guys on the pad whistle really loud, wave their disc in the air, and shout, "hey, we're gonna throw here!" As if the family as any bloody idea what "we're gonna throw here" means.
I much prefer to walk down to them and have a civilized conversation. And not walk 100 feet closer and whistle and shout the same thing. I always try to be a little coy about it. "I hate to be a party pooper here, but there's a frisbee golf tournament going on here and people are going to be throwing frisbees right across here. These little guys are pretty hard and can hurt pretty bad, yadda yadda yadda."

And as much as I hate the term "frisbee golf", it really works better than disc golf when talking to pedestrians. "Dis gulf? Des colf? What are you guys doing out here?"

In Korea I had a devil of time telling the Ojmas who were picking onions in the middle of the fairway what was going on. I learned the Korean pronunciation: "disca golfu" and somehow all the old ladies knew what I was talking about...

...or they just figured it would be a good idea to get out of the crazy Americans way.

In Korea I had a devil of time telling the Ojmas who were picking onions in the middle of the fairway what was going on. I learned the Korean pronunciation: "disca golfu" and somehow all the old ladies knew what I was talking about...

...or they just figured it would be a good idea to get out of the crazy Americans way.

I'm thinking the bolded part...:p :D

Yeah they'll normally just grow the sport by calling scrip schwag. As in, "look at all this schwag I won at the disc golf tournament." :doh:

Maybe they just got some crappy plastic?

To swing back to the conversation about pedestrians on the course, it bugs me how some disc golfers try to get their attention. We're on the tee pad, a family starts taking family photos 250 feet down the fairway, and the guys on the pad whistle really loud, wave their disc in the air, and shout, "hey, we're gonna throw here!" As if the family as any bloody idea what "we're gonna throw here" means.
I much prefer to walk down to them and have a civilized conversation. And not walk 100 feet closer and whistle and shout the same thing. I always try to be a little coy about it. "I hate to be a party pooper here, but there's a frisbee golf tournament going on here and people are going to be throwing frisbees right across here. These little guys are pretty hard and can hurt pretty bad, yadda yadda yadda."

And as much as I hate the term "frisbee golf", it really works better than disc golf when talking to pedestrians. "Dis gulf? Des colf? What are you guys doing out here?"

This right here has worked many times for me. If you show them the sharp edge of a driver and explain how far they go the people will most times move without any problems, and wish you good luck during your round. :thmbup:

Not the Biggest

Not necessarily my biggest peeve but one I haven't heard much about yet. It's that great course which has one hole that just ruins the round. You know what I mean - it's that hole that requires a long water carry or a throw over the green inferno that means somebody in the group is going to lose a disc or the group is going to spend an inordinate amount of time searching through the ticks and poison ivy to find a disc. If I am playing alone, I usually just skip that hole but it still irks me. People say "just use a crappy disc on that hole" but I know my crappy disc is never going to make it - at least with a decent disc I might survive the "hell hole". Nothing ruins a course bagging trip like losing one of my favorites especially early on:wall:. Of course that gives me an excuse to hit the local disc shop (if there is one). Some examples to come to mind are Deer Lakes and Whispering Falls in PA, Portage Lakes in Ohio, Goyne Park in VA. When I hit western PA (about 6 trips there so far), I usually leave Deer Lakes for last ("if there's time") even though it is superior to everything but Moraine (pretty close there) just because of hole 15.

Easily my favorite is the giant glob of 6 or more golfers that take FOREVER on the tee, but once they see us coming from behind they all tee off lightning quick, only to stall like crazy on the course again. F- you guys.

You guys are playing super slow anyway, who cares if you let a two-some pass you?

Using weeds/wildflowers/grasses of extraordinary height and density to define fairways.

One of my local courses does this with "prairie flowers" on 4 holes. I'm not talking a rough... I'm talking about a dense jungle of bug-infested, pollen-filled, creepy-crawly hiding, 7' tall weeds in plots 50-300' feet wide. I'm always afraid I'll find a body in there while searching for a lost disc.

Big Goups

Big groups ( groups of 6 or more ) that are oblivious to smaller groups waiting behind them. Trust me, it won't take but a couple minutes to let a few people play thru.

I hate it that I'm the only one in my crowd that seems to hate large groups. Last round was a 7-some. Miserable. No one else ever mentions possibly splitting up.

People who express their frustration over a bad upshot by lingering in the middle of the fairway acting indignant. Like staring at their shoes is going to fix their bad shot.

Card mates who spend the entire round talking about discs and/or trying to trade discs. I'd rather hear about their cat.

I hate folks who throw their whole bag at every other hole while not allowing people behind to play through.

Ended up getting to a long hole and threw past them, holed out, and continued on my way. Dude wasn't too happy, but oh well.

Latest posts