• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bikinjack's Roadtrip

bikinjack

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Ok, folks, I'm hittin' the road. It's not gonna be a long trip, just a little over a week, but it's gonna be fun. Chuck (R-Intermediate on here) and myself are leaving G-town sometime in the afternoon on the 22nd. We plan on hitting Earlwood on our way to Savannah. We're gonna play Tom Triplett either that afternoon or the next morning, then it's off to Florida. We're gonna be in the Tampa/St. Pete area for a couple of days, then head back north to Charleston for the weekend. After Charleston, we're off to the greater Augusta, GA area for a few days of camping, beer drinking, and disc golf. We'll probably take the scenic route back home and hit a few courses along the way. I'm thinking the Upstate of SC, maybe a little more out of the way, depending on who knows what. Maybe the wind?

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions, or is going to be in any of these general areas and wants to throw some plastic, holla.

Tom Triplett is a good choice, but bring a change of close, you will sweat your arse off. Also bring a throw away disc for the water hole. As far as Tampa/St. Pete you should check out the North Water Tower in Sarasota also CLEARWATER DISC GOLF STORE!

Dude! First a question, is your trip taking you through Myrtle Beach? Secondly, If you are going to Savannah, You need to hit The Sarge, it's 15 minutes before Savannah, and it's right off 95. So you will go right past it. I did The Sarge and Tom Triplett in one afternoon. 1 thing though, Bring Deet! ;)

A video of holes 1,3,12,and 13 at The Sarge. I didn't make this video, and I don't know these guys. I just found it a while back. It's a good video.

Yeah, time permitting, you should think about hitting The Sarge along with Tom Triplett. Both are right off the interstate.

On your return from Augusta, consider Stoney Hill & Crooked Creek. You can take scenic backroads, and they're probably about on the shortest, though not quickest, route.

With the caveat that Stoney Hill is subject to which day you're passing through---it's private and you'll need a guide.

i just got back from a run through SC/GA, we hit a bunch of courses but had planned more but just ran out of time

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking we'll be able to hit the Sarge on the way back up to Charleston, or on the way back out of Charleston. I'm definitely interested in playing Stoney Hill. I'll get up with you, or the powers that be when I figure out exactly when we're gonna be heading in that general direction.

I trust you're hitting Trophy Lakes while in Charleston. Bring extra discs! It's a "can't miss" course....but no matter how good you are, you "can't miss" the water, either.

I am the power-that-be, or at least half-the-power, to contact to play Stoney Hill. The scoop (see our website) is that you need reservations; on weekdays, we're generally available after 6:00. With a day or two's notice, I can often get there earlier in the afternoon. If you make it, it would be your last stop on the way home.

The fine print is that there's a small possibility we won't be there on the 27th or 28th.

Cool, I'll let you know. We're planning on being in Augusta from the 28th or 29th through about the 30th or maybe the 1st of July. Hopefully we'll be able to play all of the IDGC courses, Hippodrome and a few others.

We're planning on hitting Trophy Lakes, Park Circle, and the course at West Ashley, and possibly the new nine holer on John's Island while we're in Charleston.

If you can swing by Lake Russel in Elberton GA I think it would be worth the detour. It's in the general direction of FL from G'town. It's currently #9 on my list of Top 10 favorites.

My full list, sorted by rating can be found at "Olorin's Course Ratings" and a pdf version is available in the Files section of my Yahoo group, "DG Course Reviews".

Cool, I'll let you know. We're planning on being in Augusta from the 28th or 29th through about the 30th or maybe the 1st of July. Hopefully we'll be able to play all of the IDGC courses, Hippodrome and a few others.

We're planning on hitting Trophy Lakes, Park Circle, and the course at West Ashley, and possibly the new nine holer on John's Island while we're in Charleston.

I love Trophy Lakes! Dude, I'm going to be in a nearby vicinity of the Sarge and Tom Triplett. About 30-45 minutes. (Visiting family for the 4th) I don't know what days, but when are you ballparking being there? There is a slight chance I could meet up with ya'll. ...Slight possibility.

Oh, one more tip for Trophy Lakes. Bring a few discs that you would be willing to lose at T.L., I lost 2, and I played from the Red Tee's. :mad: But I still had a great time, I love that course! Oh, if you'd like to just add another course to your "Played" list. There is a little bity 9 holer, just around the corner from Trophy lakes. It would take you about 20 minutes to play it, and you could add that notch to your belt. I'm just throwing it out there. It's like a mile down the road Johns Island DGC

Last edited:
We should be rolling into Charleston on the evening of the 25th, and leaving on Monday, the 28th.

Dang it, I'm about a week after ya! I'll be there over the 4th. All this talk, I'm thinking about sneaking down and taking in a round at The Sarge when I'm down there.

The trip so far, I've played 8 new (to me) courses so far, and I'm now in Charleston for a couple of days, then it's off to Augusta for a few more courses. The highlight of the trip so far has been Tom Triplet in Savannah, and playing gang golf doubles at Tocobaga in St. Pete.

It seemed like every disc golfer in St. Pete/Clearwater that we ran into knew/played with/grew up with or otherwise had some connection to Ken Climo. We got to visit the Clearwater disc golf store and got to fondle lots of plastic, and even bought a few.

I guess I had A.D.D. the day I posted on your comment. I just realized you mentioned the 9 holer, that I suggested. lol ...oh look, a fly! :rolleyes: Have fun in Charleston! Don't feel like you have to play the blue tee's at Trophy Lakes. I had a reality check when I got to hole six, that's when I said to myself "Self, we are playing from the red's from here on out!" lol Trophy Sells discs, but they are pricey. I'm looking forward to hearing what you thought about Tom Triplett & The Sarge.

Last edited:
I just got home. We played 15 courses, all were new to me, 16 rounds, 231 holes, and I took 868 strokes. I am beat. I lost at poker Saturday night, then I beat Jeff heads up, then beat him at backgammon, then took him out to Trophy Lakes, and beat him there, so that worked out. I think I drank more beers, surprisingly little while playing, than I played holes. It was a party every night. My feet are sore, but my arm's not, and I'm amazed that my liver is still working (I hope). It was a blast. Next time I go south, though, it's hopefully not gonna be this time of year. We would have played more if it hadn't been so dang hot. All of this makes what Donovan did even more amazing.

I just got home. We played 15 courses, all were new to me, 16 rounds, 231 holes, and I took 868 strokes. I am beat. I lost at poker Saturday night, then I beat Jeff heads up, then beat him at backgammon, then took him out to Trophy Lakes, and beat him there, so that worked out. I think I drank more beers, surprisingly little while playing, than I played holes. It was a party every night. My feet are sore, but my arm's not, and I'm amazed that my liver is still working (I hope). It was a blast. Next time I go south, though, it's hopefully not gonna be this time of year. We would have played more if it hadn't been so dang hot. All of this makes what Donovan did even more amazing.

Dude, you ain't kidding! It has been hot and humid! Makes for some rough days for Disc Golf. If the heat index isn't 105, then there is a storm with dangerous lightning popping up out of nowhere. It's brutal! I can't imagine how Donovan did it. ...and it's worse in Texas!

I'm glad you got to at least get T.L. in. That's a great course! How many discs did you lose?