• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

birdie beads

$4-$10 for a set? I wonder is people realize they can make their own for a fraction of that and the only skill you need is being able to tie a knot.

I somehow ended up with a set at the first tournament I went to. It took me forever to figure out what they were for. I never have used them.

I like the fact that the lady golf bead folks do not even worry about a birdie strand and just have one for strokes!

"JUST PULL A BEAD DOWN AFTER EVERY BIRDIE OR BOGEY (OR 2 FOR A DOUBLE BOGEY, AND SO ON), AND FIGURING YOUR SCORE IS SIMPLE "

Oh, it comes with both, cool.

But what if you end up at 20 over? I don't think there are enough beads for my type of bad round.

These look very similar to something that a lot of people who do orienteering by compass use to keep track of how far they have gone -- you're given a bearing and a distance from a certain point, and you know how far your average pace takes you. You move 1 bead for every 10 steps, say, and if each step takes you 2.5 feet, then each bead reflects 25 feet traveled. If you are supposed to go 150 feet on the bearing, then you go until you have 6 beads moved -- then reset the beads and start again on the next leg. They do this because it's easier to keep counting 1 - 10 than to try and count to 60, 70, etc. while watching your step, keeping on the bearing line, etc.

It's neat how someone made this applicable to disc golf.

I wonder if they sell bogey beads?

i actually was wondering the same thing, then i clicked on the ebay link and saw that there are 2 strands one for birdies and one for bogeys. i've never seen these before, pretty neat idea. what happens when you run out of bogey beads and have to start using your birdie beads to count your bogeys. that's what would most likely happen to me?!

Latest posts