• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] blizzard discs

laerton420

I have been playing about 8 months,im 55 yrs old,and having trouble getting any real distance,i have recently begun using innovas blizzard line of discs (ape,destroyer,krait) and i really like the light weight,it seems to help me get out there,plus they float,which is great for me...but ive seen alot of negative posts about these discs,,,anyone want to chime in and give an opinion,i really value the advice i get from folks on here,so..pls...give me some.

Ignore the negative posts and use what works for you. Some players (wrongfully) look at it as a weakness to use Blizzard or lighter discs. They are not for everyone but what disc is for everyone?

distance is mostly about form. the lightweigth discs can hide the flaws in your form. With that said, it is all about fun, right? Lighter discs will not be able the wind as well as heavier discs. Blizzard disc may wear a trifle faster (less plastic after all.) But nothing else really wrong with blizzard or equivalent plastic.

Other makers do it too. Latitude 64 calls is "Vip Air". Salient calls it "Helium".

distance is mostly about form. the lightweigth discs can hide the flaws in your form. With that said, it is all about fun, right? Lighter discs will not be able the wind as well as heavier discs. Blizzard disc may wear a trifle faster (less plastic after all.) But nothing else really wrong with blizzard or equivalent plastic.

Other makers do it too. Latitude 64 calls is "Vip Air". Salient calls it "Helium".

Lighter weight discs expose flaws in your form compared to heavier discs. Faster/overstable discs hide flaws.

OP, follow Jay Dub's advice. If they work for you and your game, throw them. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Blizzard Kraits were a big part of my evolution from an 820 rating to a 890 rating. I'm in my 40s and lack the arm strength of many players, but the lighter disks allow me to retain the disc speed necessary for distance drivers. But you only need light disks for drivers, keep your mids 170+ grams. I've started using other discs that I like better than Innova's blizzard plastic, as they just wear too fast. I've also learned to add a bit of hyzer on those light discs when its breezy.

Here are some other suggestions to try—*
Blizzard Katana for long tailwind throws or throws from a high tee pad
Latitude Halo Opto Air when you need a bit more stability, roughly similar to Destroyer, has a very predictable flight
Westside Stag Air VIP for fairway shots
Latitude Saint Opto Air for an understable disc

I dislike "Starlite" plastic, but you can find Innova star plastic discs down to 160 grams, which feel and fly better. I'd also suggest you try out some more speed 7/8 disks as you may be able to throw them far enough but with more control. Try Latitude's River or Innova's TL.

When I first discovered blizzard plastic, I went all the way down to 130-140 gram weights. I've now settled on 155-160g as the best weights for my drivers.

^^ Good points.
My main long driver has become a 163 star Mamba, I highly recommend them. Release with a slight hyzer for a straight shot with no wind.

I'm a 40 something wimp liking lighter discs too, though I find blizzard discs are a bit inconsistent and beat up quickly (do the bubbles in the plastic collapse when you hit trees?).

I like the opto air plastic of Lattitude and Westside a bit better (though I use blizzard Kraits and Destroyers...need to try a lattitude air halo). I also use an air king, and some classic 150 discs (destroyer in DX, banshee in champ, OLF in some premium).

My favorites, though hard to find, are lighter weight vibrams. I throw 155 laces and olaces as my main drivers, and love them.

I only carry 1 disc way light, a 132 krait, I use exclusively for big tailwind shots. Otherwise I find 152-156 to be my sweet spot.

I found a 149g Blizz Boss, I never would have bought a 13 speed disc. But man can I throw this thing! The more I play the better I get with my Boss. Boss and Tern are my main drivers.

I was at an event recently where some guys on my card started a "Blizzard, what a fad...nobody uses those anymore, they suck, blah blah blah" conversation. I had blizzard Kraits and Destroyers in my bag and had been throwing them all round. So much for powers of observation.

They work great for me, so I use them.

I think part of the "Blizzard sucks" issue is that they worked the bubbles out of the flight plate for some reason; with all the bubbles in the rim you take more mass from the rim and slow the discs down. They were better in the early runs when there were bubbles in the flight plate, but I can live with them as they are.

I liked the starlite mamba, strangely enough. Blizzard boss was my goto disc for several months. In the end I had to go to max weight blizzards to stop from turning it over. Now I used a VIP Air Sword (about 158).

I just started using the Starlite Mamba. I haven't decided if I'll keep one in my bag or not but for now it's getting more testing. I have a feeling it will stay.

Ignore the negative posts and use what works for you. Some players (wrongfully) look at it as a weakness to use Blizzard or lighter discs. They are not for everyone but what disc is for everyone?

It really is all about what's working for u. I am a fan of blizzard plastic and see an additional 30 ft with wraith 160 blizzard. They tend to be a a little sensitive, which is what I think people confuse for inconsistent. Nothing I've thrown, glides out like blizzard plastic.

I have been playing about 8 months,im 55 yrs old,and having trouble getting any real distance,i have recently begun using innovas blizzard line of discs (ape,destroyer,krait) and i really like the light weight,it seems to help me get out there,plus they float,which is great for me...but ive seen alot of negative posts about these discs,,,anyone want to chime in and give an opinion,i really value the advice i get from folks on here,so..pls...give me some.

If you like the Blizzard plastic, try throwing a Blizzard Wraith. Its an 11 speed like the Krait, so if the Ape and Destroyer aren't getting out there because you many not be reaching the 12 or 13 speeds, the Wraith may be what you need.

I have been using a 150 Wraith for up hill drives. Hyzer flip it and it does the work for you.

The Innova runs of blizzard are just very inconsistent. I don't know why, as I am not a scientist, but you could buy two, let's say: Apes, on the same day, from the same run, at the same shop and find one beefy as all get out, and the other a flippy monster. While I've seen some comments about other manufacturers fixing this problem, I found the same to be true with Opto Air and Vip Air. Must be something to do with the air bubbles, but I have no idea what.

I am converting over to a 150-159 bag currently, but it's more because of where I'm playing than how I'm playing. I've noticed a lot more consistency with non blizzard discs at these light weights. Unfortunatly, there isn't exactly the same variety that blizzard discs offer and that makes finding what I want more difficult. I would say the fairways I've used, especially in Champion, have stayed true to the intended flight path.

I think the blizzard/150 class drivers are great options for older and less power oriented players. One of the best players I know uses them.

also good advice to go heavier on mids and putters...168 g. or heavier for putters and 174+ for mids imo.