• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Krait = Fool's Gold?

PeterMonk

Birdie Member
So I am 45, a year back into DG after a long absence, and was throwing 300' on the flat 3 months ago. My goal for summer was to get up 325'. Well on a whim I picked up a 156g Blizzard Krait and now I am hitting 350'. Yet I have a nagging voice that this is fool's gold, that I am not helping my game by throwing this disc, since my fairway driver are only marginally better, 310'.
So tell me:
a) This is what Blizzard drivers are for, folks like yourself.
b) Don't argue with better results, stupid.
c) Work on those fairways and get a normal Wraith later.

BTW - I shocked how well the Krait holds an anhyzer. It glides down instead of dive down like my US drivers.

honestly, i feel like it takes much more skill to crank a blizzard plastic accurately vs a normal weight.
many factors can destroy a blizzard. wind, OAT, too much snap, bad release timing/direction.

Definitely B - Go with what works!

I have a Blizzard Krait I bought for water holes. Very easy to throw long and much more understable than I thought it would be.

B. I've had a similar experience. Most of the Blizzard stuff doesn't work well for me at all, but for some reason my Blizzard Krait gives me additional accurate distance. Not looking that gift horse in the mouth...

wow my blizz krait was a complete meathook. throwing it like 300 ft. honestly would put a faf fb to shame.

I think it depends on your long term goals. Do you want to be more than a weekend warrior and try and hit the tourney scene hard to win cash? If so, the answer is probably C. If you are having fun, enjoying the extra distance and aren't going to be out at the field or playing 24/7, then A and B are perfectly acceptable.

It all comes down to you. There are a lot of voices on here that will tell you you should only throw x disc if you can throw y far, but if it is fun and you get results, listen to yourself.

I think it depends on your long term goals. Do you want to be more than a weekend warrior and try and hit the tourney scene hard to win cash? If so, the answer is probably C. If you are having fun, enjoying the extra distance and aren't going to be out at the field or playing 24/7, then A and B are perfectly acceptable.

It all comes down to you. There are a lot of voices on here that will tell you you should only throw x disc if you can throw y far, but if it is fun and you get results, listen to yourself.

so you don't think it's possible to become super consistent with a blizzard disc? Assuming you use it within its means and conservatively?

I have a starlite Valkyrie that weighs 139g. It does the same things my 170g champ Valkyrie does even in heavy winds.

I can even throw 85-90% of my max distance without doing a run up/just standing on the edge of the tee.

When I played baseball and tennis I always used the lightest weight stuff. Barry bonds even with steroids was using a ridiculously short and light bat 31.5" 31oz to hit for power as well as average.

My logic is that if your form is good then the lightweight stuff has it's advantages with drivers.

A & B

I'm of the opinion that high speed drivers are only problematic if they're used to mask form issues, or used unknowingly in a way that leads to form issues (namely, releasing on a big anhyzer to compensate for an early fade). If you're an informed player, these shouldn't be an issue, and in that case, you should just enjoy the newfound D.

I'm in a similar position. I hit ~325' with fairways, possibly 350' if i push it on an S curve. I only get 25'-50' more than that with Laces, but that's enough to warrant having them in the bag. I throw them on hyzer to flat releases, so no problems technique-wise: if anything, throwing DDs has taught me a lot about release height and release angle. So, there's not really a downside, especially if I know when to opt for something I have better control with.

Throw that bad boy, Heck buy another one! I had a blizzard krait but ended up giving it away as it never really clicked withme. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that a weaker arm could get it out to 400' with a lot of practice. If you like glide as you mentioned, check out the Dynamic Discs Escape. It is a more reasonable speed for your arm and MAN does that sucker glide even after your power wears off of the flight.

Also, I throw the lucid air escape in 155 weight, still controllable as hell

I have a starlite Valkyrie that weighs 139g. It does the same things my 170g champ Valkyrie does even in heavy winds.

I can even throw 85-90% of my max distance without doing a run up/just standing on the edge of the tee.

When I played baseball and tennis I always used the lightest weight stuff. Barry bonds even with steroids was using a ridiculously short and light bat 31.5" 31oz to hit for power as well as average.

My logic is that if your form is good then the lightweight stuff has it's advantages with drivers.

wow nice tidbit about barry bonds.
agreed.

so you don't think it's possible to become super consistent with a blizzard disc? Assuming you use it within its means and conservatively?

I think it's plenty possible. The point I was making it that there tends to be an accepted standard that, if you want to be a pro-level - or at least top-end tourney-level - player, you need to be able to throw fairways about 350 or so. Doesn't mean you can't be consistent and place well in tourneys if you throw them less than that. My main point was for him to choose what lines up with what he wants to get out of the game.

Answer is A.

The average capability of a 20-something player is much different than a 40-something player. If you're having success with lighter plastic why change it? If you change your game or physique and the disc no longer works for you, then address that issue as it arises.

Funny, the same thought had occured to me and I abandoned the Blizzard Krait. For every drive I surprised myself with bonus distance, another surprised with bonus distance and landing in new and unexpected places usually far to the right of intended, heh. I worked on wing angle trying to harness it but felt the lighter air discs seemed more sensitive to wind than my standard weight counterparts. All the power to those who make it work for them.

I've had phases with Blizz Champ discs. I'm 33. No shame my man. No shame.

But I agree that they can be COMPLETELY inconsistent and have trouble with any wind. If you have one that is money, throw and enjoy it until it leaves you or your throw makes it unnecessary.

One of my friends found a 150ish Blizz Champ Boss and he just bombs the thing. Easily added 30 feet or more to his longest drives.

nothing wrong with 150 class

I love standstill throws with 150 teebirds.

Latest posts