• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Blurring" with age?

farmy87

Hey everyone got a question for you. I made up some discs for my groomsmen in my wedding back in August. I used RIT powdered dye on Star&Champ plastic.

The discs turned out great for the most part, all the lines were crisp and nice looking. I hadn't looked at my disc for a couple months, and when I took a look at it the other day, I noticed that the edges of the text and shapes has gotten blury. Has anyone else had this problem or know why it would be happening? I will try to get a picture up.

It happens... even the ones that I keep inside fade. I've never heard of anyone being able to prevent this - just comes with the territory.

edit: on a side note- you can even see the dye start to show up through the bottom after awhile, its almost like the dye just slowly seeps through the disc

the worst that I have seen it on is my gateway sabre in evolution plastic. The design was sweet, and very intricate, took me several hours to do. 2 months later, it has gotten really blurry. very sad!

i have noticed not every disc to fade the same either.. maybe it has something to do with the density in which the disc is made?

They all fade -- the dye does move through the plastic continuously. There's nothing you can do about it, just plan ahead if you're getting TOO intricate. I'll take some pics, fresh out of dye, and current ones to show how mine have "faded" -- but they're still recognizable and always will be.

I'll do that too, would be interesting to see if we can find some sort of pattern. Oddly enough my most faded one is a star aviar (I don't know about the plastic quality - I think it might be able to be predicted by the flexibility of the disc, maybe its more porous??) and some of them have hardly faded at all.

the worst that I have seen it on is my gateway sabre in evolution plastic. The design was sweet, and very intricate, took me several hours to do. 2 months later, it has gotten really blurry. very sad!

Yes, i have a Evolution Wizard i spent hours on and I pulled it out the other day to see that it turned into a great big blur...

I did a dye one an FLX Buzzz and it looked great at first, but several months later, it looks like crap.
I dyed a Star Shark and several months later, it has the lines are not as sharp, but it is doing better than the FLX plastic.