• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Boycott the USDGC?

thanks chuck. i'm sure it's already been discussed in here, but how was the projection calculated?

Projection is based on their rating with perhaps a percentage factor in there giving some advantage to those with higher ratings. For example, let's say the course SSA is 68, if you have a 1000 rating then your projected score should be 68. A score of 77 on a course with a 68 SSA is rated 945. So if you have a rating near 945, your projected score is probably 77.

There are no adjusted scores like handicapping. The handicap is already built into the projected score. A player's score that will be used for ranking after each round is how many throws they beat or exceed their projected score. For example, if a player with a projected score of 79 shoots a 77, their "score" posted for the round will be -2. If he shot 85, it will be +6. The scoreboard will look like an over/under par scoreboard with the most negative in the lead.

Isn't that exactly what handicapping is? If your projected score is 89 and you shoot 89 it is equivalent to shooting par i.e. +-0?

It's still handicapping but it's just displayed differently. It's easier to know how you're shooting. You've got a target score and you try to beat it one shot at a time. You don't have to wait and see what happens with a number being subtracted (added) at the end.

Chuck- if it were your call, would you use stroke and distance for every hole? Or maybe have a combination of stroke and distance, buncr, "normal ob", etc..? Just curious.

I'm thinking its going to get ugly out there with stroke and distance. Last year was ugly enough with a higher rated field..

I'm against throw and distance ever being used as a blanket format with OB on most holes whether USDGC 2010, 2011 or 2012. It's not really disc golf as the players have played it all year long leading up to it. It's a different game such as all of a sudden deciding to use only Super Class discs or allowing players to buy mulligans. The buncr rule was the best set of scoring spreads from a competitive standpoint on the holes where it was used of any USDGC before or after 2008-2009. Throw and distance should only be used selectively on holes where maybe there's a long OB line down the left or right side and it's hard to tell where a throw goes out that flies along the line for quite awhile. Even then, my preference would be to provide a forward drop zone versus retee.

Something like hole 5 where it can be difficult to tell (even with a spotter) if the disc crossed the plane?

Its going to be pretty crazy. I'm very interested to see how it all plays out.

I would say maybe use throw and distance for the water side only on the tee shot due to blind landing areas but allow the player to mark at the last point IB if their tee shot goes OB on the road side which can be seen pretty well from the tee and the disc can be found to track its likely flight.

i had the privilege of playing last year and i am definitely not a high rated player. to be honest i liked stroke and distance, just had to adjust where i was trying to throw to and there was never a question of where you crossed OB line. pretty cut and dried, no guess work.

i had the privilege of playing last year and i am definitely not a high rated player. to be honest i liked stroke and distance, just had to adjust where i was trying to throw to and there was never a question of where you crossed OB line. pretty cut and dried, no guess work.

I really like stroke and distance from a player perspective and also from running a tournament perspective. I play a lot of ball golf which uses stroke and distance on many holes but also uses lateral hazards that do not invoke a distance penalty. Using some lateral hazards in places like Chuck mentioned could work well too.

The primary situation that stroke and distance is used in ball golf (other than lost ball) is for shooting completely outside the boundaries of the course. It's uncommon to find OB inside the course itself unless it's locations like maintenance buildings. Everything considered a hazard allows the player to progress toward it for their next shot including playing from it if possible or getting a penalty. They can then usually find a suitable lie relatively near the hazard or in the drop zone. Playing from their original lie is their least common choice with few exceptions.

Even on the famous TPC island hole 17, there's a drop zone you can play from if your tee shot ends up OB. You don't realize that because the PGA pros would be embarrassed to play from it and it's too short of a shot for them so they retee until landing safe. That's partly the reason Harold and some others feel throw and distance should be required not optional. But the reality is, stroke and distance is never required for landing in a hazard in ball golf. It's only for truly going OB outside the course (or lost ball).

i dont think i understand the concept of stroke and distance very well. could someone please explain it?

i dont think i understand the concept of stroke and distance very well. could someone please explain it?

You throw. That's 1 stroke, as normal.

It goes OB. That's an additional penalty stroke. That's the "stroke" part.

You throw again, from your original spot. That's the "distance" part. You don't get to "keep" any of the distance from your first throw.

You throw. That's 1 stroke, as normal.

It goes OB. That's an additional penalty stroke. That's the "stroke" part.

You throw again, from your original spot. That's the "distance" part. You don't get to "keep" any of the distance from your first throw.

that wonderful rule kept me out of a playoff in last years qualifing on monday....darn that rule:wall: lol

The primary situation that stroke and distance is used in ball golf (other than lost ball) is for shooting completely outside the boundaries of the course. It's uncommon to find OB inside the course itself unless it's locations like maintenance buildings. Everything considered a hazard allows the player to progress toward it for their next shot including playing from it if possible or getting a penalty. They can then usually find a suitable lie relatively near the hazard or in the drop zone. Playing from their original lie is their least common choice with few exceptions.

Even on the famous TPC island hole 17, there's a drop zone you can play from if your tee shot ends up OB. You don't realize that because the PGA pros would be embarrassed to play from it and it's too short of a shot for them so they retee until landing safe. That's partly the reason Harold and some others feel throw and distance should be required not optional. But the reality is, stroke and distance is never required for landing in a hazard in ball golf. It's only for truly going OB outside the course (or lost ball).

We are a bit off topic here, but, most of the ball golf courses I play have white stakes parallel to the fairways on holes where they are developin lots for building houses. This is very common. Many of the courses also have pretty thick rough in many places where you can't find a suitable lie to hit from no matter how far back from the hole you go. It definately puts the major pucker factor into shot selection and execution.

Disc golf used to be my get away from reality. It still is to a certain point. Now ball golf is my get away from disc golf.

Stan McDaniel
We are a bit off topic here, but, most of the ball golf courses I play have white stakes parallel to the fairways on holes where they are developing lots for building houses. This is very common.
As I pointed out, that would be shooting outside the course boundaries not within the course like the majority of Winthrop Gold OB. Also, it's uncommon to find shot and distance OB lining both sides of a ball golf fairway.

Latest posts