• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brand loyalty question

jakebake91

* Ace Member *
Question for you guys that only bag one brand of discs. Why is it you carry that brand? What brought you to them in the first place? I dont want to start any kind of argument about brand x vs brand z or anything like that. Just more a curiosity thing.

For me, it was a combination of things. Im a toolmaker by trade (build injection molds) so supporting a company based in my region felt like i was kinda supporting my brothern. Also, these discs are made in a way that adds some difficulty to the moldmaking and molding processes and i find these to be made very very well. Im very picky about the tooling and such.

I also feel as tho there are plenty of quality american made discs to buy american made discs. Ones that are actually made here, not based here but actually made elsewhere with someone elses plastics.

Lastly, and most important, i freaking love the discs. Really clicked with all the ones ive got, and have been super impressed.

Been using primarily Innova for the past 11 years. I have tried pretty much every brand but I keep going back to Innova. The main reason I use them is because their plastic to me is hands down the best. They also offer a disc for every slot in my game and their discs dont beat up too quickly like some other brands. And now over the years I have back ups for everything so it would be kinda pointless for me to switch and go thru the whole process again.

Last edited:
Loyalty is just that, loyalty. You only have loyalty when you have justified it to yourself, the reasons why you have the need or desire to be loyal.

There are people like you who have a reason to be loyal to a brand, and there are people whos reasons are less thought out or meaningful, but reasons all the same. Usually its a silly popularity thing, but some people just wanna support their friends, a local company or a product they believe in.

Fwiw, I dont carry a specific brand, I have a mixed bag. But i know other players who will change their bag setup based on the most recent eagle or PMB ITB vid. I think its lame, but whatevs

The reason I throw mostly Discraft is because every Buzzz I get, flies like a Buzzz. I don't have to get some special "night time shift Buzzz" to find the the disc I like.

But I'll never not have a Firebird in my bag. There's something about that one disc that I'll always value. I currently carry three of them, and that's the least amount I've ever bagged. It just feels right.

A different take. I look for discs that fit what I want. Innova covers most things but has some gaps for my game. Why Innova? Still the least expensive out there. I'm not that enamored with their plastic. I've not used the Pro plastics, but Champ and Star are pretty hard and inflexible. GStar is pretty good and my go to. As good as anything I've used. The Pro plastic feels similar to the Soft plastics I mention below but doesn't have the same grip, again for me. The one thing I've learned, rim structure and plastic is a very individual thing. I'd never tell anyone not to use the plastic and discs they like. But I would suggest that if the discs they're using don't feel right, there are tons of subtle options.

Buzz, Innova had no comparable disc for a long long long time.

Soft Harp and Spike. First, I like flat discs with a shallow rim. Their soft plastic is the best I've ever held (for me and my hands). Innova has no comparable disc or plastic that I've seen.

I'm used to throwing Innova and Discraft.

I've tried other companies but have never found anything to replace the discs I've been throwing for years.

Plus I have tons of backups.

With that said, I do have a fun bag with other manufacturers that I take out from time to time.

That wasnt the point of the thread. More so the reasoning behind your decision.

But....MVP

I know, I know. Just seemed odd to talk about the brand you throw and your reasons without ever actually mentioning it by name, but giving enough clues that it pretty much had to be MVP or DC.

I would say that I have brand loyalty, but to multiple brands for different reasons. Certainly not against throwing any disc bc of who makes it.

My biggest gripe with innova is the raging inconsistencies in the molding. Two discs of the same mold and plastic shouldnt behave like two totally opposite discs. I understand(better than many) about the variables involved in molding. There will be some variance in how things go set to set and run to run. But it strikes me as very poor QC or laziness on their part. Basically, hey we molded this part but it has 40% more dome than its supposed to, bit hey thats fine. Ship them to the masses. They can go on an easter egg hunt across time and space to find discs that fit what they want

I'm not.

But for those who are, the best reason to be loyal would be that you know the manufacturers personally, or they've done something great for you or your local scene.

The best reason to be single brand would be to simplify your choices. Within one brand you can pretty well fill a bag, without having to test 10,000 different models/plastics/weights for the next magic disc that will make you a star. It won't be quite as fine-tuned as a mixed bag, but it'll do.

Mixed bag here, but I do throw a lot of Discraft. Why? They have regionally been a huge supporter of our game. Many tournaments I play, I get Discraft. Once I have collected three or four Undertakers, Cranks, Buzzz or Heats, I start to throw them. Other than sell them, what am I going to do with a disc and a handful of backups?

As a new player, I started with one brand for two Reasons. First is it was already overwhelming to learn there were so many different molds that did different things, it was easier to limit myself to one brand. Second was to learn how slightly different flight numbers on various discs changed their flight. I heard early on that you can't compare innovas numbers to DD's, so I thought the best way to learn different flight paths was to stay within the same flight numbering system. The brand i chose was innova because my first disc was a leopard, it's the only brand carried by all of my local retailers, and whenever I heard anyone ask how non innova disc flew, everyone seemed to compare the flight to an innova equivalent (FD3 is like a firebird, etc...). Now that i understand the basics, im now branching out and currently bag trilogy, gateway and discmania discs.

I dont want to start any kind of argument about brand x vs brand z or anything like that. Just more a curiosity thing.

:thmbup:

My biggest gripe with innova is the raging inconsistencies in the molding. Two discs of the same mold and plastic shouldnt behave like two totally opposite discs. I understand(better than many) about the variables involved in molding. There will be some variance in how things go set to set and run to run. But it strikes me as very poor QC or laziness on their part. Basically, hey we molded this part but it has 40% more dome than its supposed to, bit hey thats fine. Ship them to the masses. They can go on an easter egg hunt across time and space to find discs that fit what they want

:confused:

Now thats what I like about Innova. I can find a destroyer to fit every shot from over to understable. People complain about it but I like it, you just have to know what to look for.

On Innova. I've found very little variation with GStar. One of the reasons I use it. Every GStar Destroyer I've thrown is just like another. I'm not saying they don't have variation, I've seen it, this plastic just seems better. I've had the same experience with Leopards. GStar is very consistent. I will note that Star Destroyers seem all over, but Star Leopards are very consistent for me.

Yeah...kinda contradicted myself. Tried to delete as soon as i posted but couldnt. This isnt the place i wanted to discuss that. My bad guys

You're not allowed to post online unless you contradict yourself. The problem is with those who get truly upset about it and think you're scum of the earth for the error.

I carry a single brand (Innova) for simplicity. It was what I started with and what I learned about flight numbers with. So I haven't really seen any reason to do the mixed bag thing. I've tried a couple of discs from Legacy and MVP. I really like the Legacy Rival, but not enough to take my Teebird or TL out of my bag. I don't remember the MVP disc, but I didn't really care for it.

It's kind of like drinking Pepsi without ever trying Coke or RC. You know they exist, but really don't think you're missing out on anything.