• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Break-up or Divorce due to Disc Golf?

Married 15 yrs next week, my wife has gone through many "hobbies" of mine. For 3 years, I was playing Sunday Adult Baseball, like 2006-2009. 6 seasons, 1 championship, and lots of missed family events. The main thing is that I was getting some conditioning....

Last year, I started up with disc golfing again, after like a 15 yr hiatus. She has been real cool about it. I mostly try to set up our rounds (me and my friends) for like 7 am start times on Sunday's. 36-54 holes later, I am usually home before noon. Then I have the rest of the day for the family.

The question of "it's DG or me (the wife)" has never come up, but if it ever does, ultimately, my wife is truly #1. I love the feel of my discs... the awesome flight path I get ONCE in 20,000 throws.... the beautiful sound of the disc hitting the chains (*CHINK*).... but I love my wife much more.

I'm 43 and play as much as possible.I have 2 sons by my marriage and 4 adopted so when "the boys" go on a disc golf outing it is HER outlet to peace in her life.Living with 7 males must be HELL!!! She will tell you she treasures her times alone. I would say I'm pretty lucky.

My fiance is the first girl I've dated that encourages my disc golf hobby. (Part of why she is my fiance). She's not good, but she enjoys playing and is willing to keep throwing on almost any course (we played an 18 at Nockamixon and she threw every shot... probably ~120 strokes for her). In the ~18 months since she first picked up a disc, she's probably joined me for 25-30 courses in 8-10 states. It's a great roadtrip activity together.

I am so jealous....as for Nocky I saw a few couples out there yesterday and commented to my buddy....where do guys meet these girls? I can't even get my male friends to play Nocky!

They need to respect hobbies of their significant others. As long as they are not overboard with it.

My fiance is the first girl I've dated that encourages my disc golf hobby. (Part of why she is my fiance). She's not good, but she enjoys playing and is willing to keep throwing on almost any course (we played an 18 at Nockamixon and she threw every shot... probably ~120 strokes for her). In the ~18 months since she first picked up a disc, she's probably joined me for 25-30 courses in 8-10 states. It's a great roadtrip activity together.

I am so jealous....as for Nocky I saw a few couples out there yesterday and commented to my buddy....where do guys meet these girls? I can't even get my male friends to play Nocky!

I met my fiance playing Ultimate... that's at least a good place to start, as you know they are willing to throw plastic and have some idea of the fundamentals of disc flight. The hard part is converting an Ultimate player to a disc golfer. But if they like Ultimate and like hiking, you're 90% of the way there.

The downside is that (female) Ultimate players have a hard time getting past they idea that they have to "throw"' the disc... so a lot of ultimate players have trouble learning any of the "snap" required for distance. They have pretty solid accuracy up to 100-200', but trying to convert for any more than that has been a challenge. Working on what to do about that -- I've tried some explaining, but it hasn't seemed to take. Just recently ordered the Feldberg/Climo DVD to see if having pros explain it might be of more help.

Would love to see a Des/Val/JK video for the ladies... I think that might do a lot to help women's disc golf if we all had a DVD of top pro women to give our girls to help show them how to play, and cover any women-specific thoughts that we might not think about.

Would love to see a Des/Val/JK video for the ladies... I think that might do a lot to help women's disc golf if we all had a DVD of top pro women to give our girls to help show them how to play, and cover any women-specific thoughts that we might not think about.

and our type of female golfers don't look like butch lesbians either....we are so much cooler!

For me, disc golf has proven to be theraputic as a great way to de-compress. My wife has her own bag and plastic as well and we've enjoyed many a round together. I agree with ReedyCreekProduct's response about promising and delivering, and how we as partners should keep things in balance. I'd rather enjoy my time on the course knowing she's ok with me being gone than endure friction when I get home.

Since I rarely play a round without at least my son, and often my wife and 2 little girls as well.

I don't think it will be an issue. She and I understand hobbies and doing stuff seperate and together.

Many others have said it so well, I won't give any more advice.
My wife doesn't play, but I wish she did.
We talk about when I'm going to play and we work it out.
As long as she knows that she's first, DG can have me for a few hours.
I'm a lucky guy to have such a wonderful wife, I'd have to choose her if it ever came to that.

It's awesome to see so many couples that throw together. My wife is super gung-ho about this game as well, I would be more afraid that she would leave me for someone with a bigger arm (yes, arm) more than anything else.

I have to ask the OP, why did you start this thread Ready? Have a sad tale that you needed to share?

I tried numerous times to get my ex into disc golf, it just didn't happen. While Disc Golf was a sore spot in our relationship I certainly don't think it caused us to separate. It was certainly the source of many arguments though. All in all if Disc golf is the sole reason of your break-up there is probably some reprioritizing needed.

Disc golf would never cause me to split from a lady, but it might be the clincher.

For me, disc golf has proven to be theraputic as a great way to de-compress. My wife has her own bag and plastic as well and we've enjoyed many a round together. I agree with ReedyCreekProduct's response about promising and delivering, and how we as partners should keep things in balance. I'd rather enjoy my time on the course knowing she's ok with me being gone than endure friction when I get home.

I think my quote was "UNDER-promise and then over-deliver" or something like that. In context, I meant to tell the girl from the start that you're going to be a Disc Golf addict with little time for her. If she's crazy about you anyway and gives it whirl, then maybe she'll be pleasantly surprised with any miniscule attention that you actually end up bothering to give her. And if you actually spend an entire week away from your hobbies in order to give her attention, it's like you're being an awesome guy all of a sudden!!

Too many guys promise women the moon in order to get into their pants. They say, "Oh I'll be owning this by 25, I'll be running my own this or that by 30, oh we can probably retire around 50, blah, blah, blah." Or they act like they have more money/skills/knowledge than they actually do. They don't have a clue how hard or unpredictable life can become down the road with age.

It's awesome to see so many couples that throw together. My wife is super gung-ho about this game as well, I would be more afraid that she would leave me for someone with a bigger arm (yes, arm) more than anything else.

I have to ask the OP, why did you start this thread Ready? Have a sad tale that you needed to share?

Playing Disc Golf was "cited" by a woman in one of my breakups, but the sad fact is that I wasn't even really getting to play that much. It was only her PERCEPTION that I was playing a lot. She could tell that I loved it though. I was often talking about how this or that place would make a great course, blah blah blah......

I guess you're lucky to have wife gung-ho about the game, but then, if she's part of the Disc Golf culture, she's gonna be surrounded by other guys with that similar interest.

We just can't win either way.

Latest posts