• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

breaking in a disc

wouldn't the concrete / tree method scratch and scar the disc?
i could almost see if it had a bead to rub/scruff up, but isn't the "break in" more to do with the flight plate getting "looser", if thats the case then just banging it on smooth ground would work??

but i dont really know, thats why i ask...

You think that people on here are too stupid to see your disrespect? You're wrong about that one. You were banned for a reason Jesus, it was not just 80 that did wrong. It's very frustrating to see that you have learned absolutely nothing from your banishment.
I'd like to see one person on this site other than yourself say that I'm disrepectful. I'm not so sure I could say the same about you.

I don't appreciate your tone. But that's ok, I forgive you.

You should change your name to narcissist. You're no 'Jesus' and I don't care for your forgiveness.

Alright guys. Internet forum, remember? what did motodj want answered now? oh yea the destroyer. Yea I would agree that you shouldn't really be throwing the destroyer until you get a bigger arm, but the fact is it's your life and if hucking that destroyer is what you wanna do, who am I to say different.

I would just advise throwing it and throwing it and throwing it. Don't do anything that could harm it with the intent of breaking it in, you may just end up breaking it. Just learn how to throw it how you want to (use a practice field). And you'll learn that as the disc wears itself in you'll automatically adjust to it's wear, and it'll become an old friend soon enough.

i could almost see if it had a bead to rub/scruff up, but isn't the "break in" more to do with the flight plate getting "looser", if thats the case then just banging it on smooth ground would work??

I know guys that tune discs or artificially break them in by throwing them against walls and skipping them down streets and such. Personally I like to play golf so I prefer the "break them in by throwing them" method.

Then again, I've been playing a long time. I have noticed that a discs stays nice and stable longer than it takes to break one in, so usually I have more nicely broken in discs than I have room for in my bag. I have a stack of broken-in Rocs in the basement that I have not needed yet. So when you are not really in desperate need of speeding up the break-in process, you can afford to be a snob and say "break them in by throwing them."

I don't know...each disc has so many good throwing in it, and I hate to waste a dozen or so skipping one down the street. It seems like a waste. Anyway, I know plenty of guys who do it that way.

I sort of like the rough texture a good slid across pavement gives. But mostly I try to skip it off pavement since it should be harder than dirt and loosen the disc up. More than that though I chuck it off trees.

Oh and I don't do this with every disc, or even all that many. Just a few, like my X Stratus, that I wanted to get well worn and didn't feel like being patient. Most of the time I just let nature run its course.

Last edited:
In the case of a roc or a stratus it seems totally reasonable to use the "course" method to break it in. However in MotoDj's case the disc will not be very useful to him until it is broken in.

Some smooth asphalt seems like it would do the trick without damaging the disc, that is as far as scratches and scuffs are concerned. Be selective though, theres some asphalt that can really tear a disc up - even Champion or Z.

Whichever way that decide you beat your disc in just be sure that it emulates the way that a disc would be broken in naturally.

You could play a course like the back 18 at La Mirada where you are almost garunteed to throw a drive into a street somewhere. 11,12,13,14,15 are all good candidates there. This way you get to play and at the same time beat in a disc. Then again, DX or comparable plastic will go sour in a week or less there. No Issues yet with Champion though.

Simply put, I would stick to just playing with them. It may not be the disc you want right now, but it will get there and in the mean time you can learn to throw other discs in your bag for the long straight shots to give yourself options down the road.

breaking in discs...

I concur with talbottrojan. I play La Mirada pretty regularly and just recently broke in a new driver (An Innova Eagle-Champion, 170g). I've been playing with it for about 2 weeks and it's already gone from being a little over-stable, to even (if not even a slight bit under-stable) now. I think talbottrojan is right. Get out and play, the discs will break in themselves while you're having a good time!
;)

ok, I don't feel like reading all this lol...BUT having seen you throw moto...the reason why you turn over all those discs you listed (surge, orc, wraiths) is becuase of your throwing style. I watched you throw that groove on tuesday and you throw it with anny so it flexes back...thats the ONLY way I seen you throw it...try throwing a surge, orc, wraith FLAT, instead of starting it with anny and I HIGHLY doubt you will turn over a wraith...surge yes maybe becuase I can turn those over also...but honestly surges are starting to find there way in my bag becuase they give me a GREAT flex shot...(The day I was playin with you I didn't have my distance game lol..it was pissin me off too) but anyways, seeing as how you throw its more of your technique then discs man...you gotta work on the pullthrough being flat and the arm speed/snap I would recommend getting a surge for your throwing style, or even a wraith (I don't think I have any new ones you could try..sold them all off when I started using bosses)