• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Broke 750'...with help =-p

Congratulations.. I saw a local pro in Oregon park a 570+ foot hole before and almost crapped myself.
700+ is sick, great job

some of you guys are asking why he's throwing so high. the reason is that to get a fully flexed flight with the wind the disc needs about 60 ft of air between it and the ground to allow the disc to make the right ward sweep and then the fade forward. the rightward sweep also needs about 75 ft of room in order to get to the fade forward section.

as Dr. Kachtz has already said this is a pure distance line not a golf shot. He's throwing what's called an Anhyzer Flex shot. these are best performed with more overstable discs like the Destroyer or Boss. the other big D shot is called the 4 direction hyzer flip. it is performed with an understable disc like the Valkyrie. both shots need a minimum of 60ft of height and 75ft L/R.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancelines.shtml

that article has all the info in better detail than I can explain.

as Dr. Kachtz has already said this is a pure distance line not a golf shot. He's throwing what's called an Anhyzer Flex shot. these are best performed with more overstable discs like the Destroyer or Boss. the other big D shot is called the 4 direction hyzer flip. it is performed with an understable disc like the Valkyrie. both shots need a minimum of 60ft of height and 75ft L/R.

If I am not mistaken, people throwing for big D with optimal wind always throw a flippy disc. kachtz posted a thread about giving the vulcan a try for the Big D competition. Also posted in another thread other understable discs are best for Big D.

Road runner/valk for Big D desert wind throwing.

Beto threw a D Crush 840 some feet at some distance comp recently. He's still got damn near everyone beat, but he worked a lot harder to get there...

Anyway, way to go. Kachtz get's a **** load of power from his hips and shoulders because he's got his weight shift synced up perfectly with his snap. Great timing.

Not necessarily true. Avery unofficially broke the record last year with a pro destroyer.

I always thought of a destroyer to be speed stable for most people. I would think it would be at least somewhat understable for a power thrower, especially in pro plastic (sure it wouldn't be as flippy as a RR or Valk). I could be wrong though.

I saw at least half of the pros throw 1st Run Destroyers between 5-600' two years ago at Idlewild spotting on 15 at the Bluegrass Open. All of them flew dead straight/very little turn with a slight hyzer finish.

If they were throwing pure distance lines, a little less stability would be just right.

If I am not mistaken, people throwing for big D with optimal wind always throw a flippy disc. kachtz posted a thread about giving the vulcan a try for the Big D competition. Also posted in another thread other understable discs are best for Big D.

you are right, when the winds get up in the 20s, you need some really flippy or broken in discs to work well. most of the guys there will take there "stable" discs like bosses and destroyers/wraiths and get them broken in good before the competition, some of us were just throwing them up in the air really high and letting them crash on the ground to help them out! about 10 throws a disc and they are ready :D

There's 2 basic Max D throw types. Kachtz is using the Distance Anhyzer which is done with a somewhat overstable disc on a high and sharp anhyzer. You need quite a bit of ground clearance to give the disc a chance to flex out and get that full flight.

The other style is a Distance Hyzerflip. Take something flippy, throw it just as high as Kachtz is and you may have to introduce some OAT to it to insure it fully turns over at the peak height of the throw. If you get that flip, it will turn over for quite a long ways before it flexes out.

I would love to see these monster drives in person, I've seen 450'+ throws, but never anything close to the bombs kachtz is throwing.

My favorite part of the video is the 4-wheeler sitting there to show that he throws too far to actually walk to get his discs. ;)

I'm assuming you learned a few things at the Big D' event that helped out a lot. 750' is a monster throw.

My favorite part of all of this is that he is a big strong good natured kid that gives a damn enough to post videos for all of us to see and try and learn from. Thank you kachtz. I will never be able to do what you do, but it is fun to watch you mash one, then turn around and show us the line we should be trying to hit. :)

Do you play tournaments? If you are just planning on competing in distance comps then great, other than that, I see no reason to even practice those shot types. Shots like that are impractical, inaccurate, and not at all useful in a round.

Don't be a hater CW.

Nice form katchz. Very smooth. I threw a 170 Star Destroyer in a similar left to right wind last weekend. The shot is a long anny over OB to get to the pin. Wind got ahold of it and last time I saw the disc it was 60-70 feet over the basket and heading right. Never found it. Could be way in the woods and down the hill.

Do you play tournaments? If you are just planning on competing in distance comps then great, other than that, I see no reason to even practice those shot types. Shots like that are impractical, inaccurate, and not at all useful in a round.

dude has only written a hundred times about "big d in the desert"...

I would love to see these monster drives in person, I've seen 450'+ throws, but never anything close to the bombs kachtz is throwing.

It sucks to see in person.
Who do you think has to retrieve the discs, the person who is still trying to throw 750 feet or his friend who happens to be a cross country runner :D

CW you should see him play, he has become an all around amazing player. I saw him hit a 160 foot blind anhyzer flex with a roc while he was standing in a pile of thorns 4 feet high

Last edited:
dude has only written a hundred times about "big d in the desert"...

Which is why I asked if he intended to play in tournaments. Consistently being able to throw big drives won't come from practicing that drive type. Working on release angle to get those high hits should be done on practical lines if he wants to compete in tourneys as well as big d. The majority of those throws turned and burned instantly. Fixing problems at lower lines will allow him to find the problems, where those high lines are very difficult to judge what the problem is. From the videos I've seen of him throwing, that's the only drive type I've seen him throw, which is why I asked. In a situation like this, it's probably best to take advantage of the wind to practice, but every video I've watched is him throwing the same shot type. Which goes back to "do you play tournaments".

It sucks to see in person.
Who do you think has to retrieve the discs, the person who is still trying to throw 750 feet or his friend who happens to be a cross country runner :D

CW you should see him play, he has become an all around amazing player. I saw him hit a 160 foot blind anhyzer flex with a roc while he was standing in a pile of thorns 4 feet high

Latest posts