• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building a Bag For a Tournament - how do you do it?

BillFleming

* Ace Member *
How do you build your bag for and during a multi-round tournament?

Do you keep your bag the same because you know what discs you are going to throw regardless of the course?
Do you adjust your bag between rounds?

I adjust my bag between rounds. I start my first round with a bag having all the discs I think I might need. When I throw a disc, I move it to the right side of my bag. When the round is over, I take out any discs I didn't throw. Then I review my throws and make any changes I think are needed. But once I make the change, I don't rethink it any more; I play with what I chose. For example, I recently played in the Flagstaff Treebash, which was three days - one round each day at the same course. At the end of the first day, I reworked my bag. As I went through the throws in my mind I got to hole 4. I threw my Innova Teebird (7/5/0/2) from the tee, hit the top of the basket and bounced past the basket. Okay....almost aced it, but if I miss the basket how far past will I go? Is the speed or glide the issue? Should I change out the Teebird for a Kastaplast Kaxe Z (6/5/0/2) or an Innova Roc3 (5/4/0/3)? Or should I go with an Innova Banshee (7/3/0/3)? Once I made my decision (stick with the Teebird), I stuck to it and didn't rethink it.

I think, for me at least, having a minimal amount of discs in my bag that I know I'm likely to throw, makes the round go better for me. It takes away over thinking a shot - this is the disc I have for this shot, make it work.

I'm curious whether you adjust your bag or leave it alone...and why.

My bag does not change based on the course. I have built a bag that I can be successful with no matter the course that I play. Now my bag does have about 3 slots that can be changed and are not essential so I use those slots to put discs in that need to be broken in but those slots will be filled with important backups for a tournament in case I lose something during the round. If I had a bad first round and threw all the wrong shots, I know that it was me and not the discs.

Your cycling slot idea is interesting to me, I always have them arranged from slowest to fastest left to right.

I only replace something if I lose something, I have tons of backups in the car but almost exclusively things in my bag.

Don't have much tourney experience, but I've been thinking about reducing the # of discs I carry in general. I usually throw about 4 discs during most rounds and could probably get away with just two or three including putter.

Your cycling slot idea is interesting to me, I always have them arranged from slowest to fastest left to right.

I only replace something if I lose something, I have tons of backups in the car but almost exclusively things in my bag.

Yea, I think that cycling slots just come from me having a big bag and me having figured out what molds I like a long time ago and sticking with it.

I used to be of the mentality that my bag is built to tackle any course. And to a degree, it is. However, depending on the course, the lineup could change. In general, the change might consist of removing some discs from a specific category.

For instance; if I am playing a short, more technical course, or the course is mostly wooded, I would likely take out the distance drivers—and bag down to the C Grip. If it's mostly long and open, might remove some mids/putters. If I am playing a course blind, or it offers a wide variety of shots, I'll bring the whole bag (usually 18-20 discs—B Grip). I do have my core molds, though. They don't change on a tourney day.

I will bring extras in case I lose one during the first round, but I don't go out counting on losing one, so I won't have two discs that do the same thing in the bag, generally. Bags are heavy enough, and most tourneys are in the hot/humid summer, so less is more.

Fun topic. TLDR-I have my core molds; which of those molds make the bag depend on the course I am playing.

Thanks everyone for the comments. One thing that I didn't mention was that I play tournaments in different elevations. I live at ~1500 foot elevation and play at local courses, but I also play courses at ~5300 foot elevation. So, I do have discs for lower elevations and ones for the higher elevations.

But I do have a few core discs (putter: Legacy Clutch, approach: DGA Breaker, mid: Discraft Buzzzz, fairaway: Innova TeeBird, distance: Kastaplast Falk). I add in others depending on what I think I will need for a course and then I remove what I didn't/won't use for the next round.

Maybe I need the philosophy that what I have in my bag will work for any course and carry a handful of discs as backups or if I find there are shots I couldn't make the first round.

Hmmm....things to think about.

Thanks everyone for the comments. One thing that I didn't mention was that I play tournaments in different elevations. I live at ~1500 foot elevation and play at local courses, but I also play courses at ~5300 foot elevation. So, I do have discs for lower elevations and ones for the higher elevations.

But I do have a few core discs (putter: Legacy Clutch, approach: DGA Breaker, mid: Discraft Buzzzz, fairaway: Innova TeeBird, distance: Kastaplast Falk). I add in others depending on what I think I will need for a course and then I remove what I didn't/won't use for the next round.

Maybe I need the philosophy that what I have in my bag will work for any course and carry a handful of discs as backups or if I find there are shots I couldn't make the first round.

Hmmm....things to think about.

Going from low to high elevation would def make me change my bag up quite a bit. I tend to never play at elevation so my bag stays the same but when I travel to play in CO and others at high elevation I will change my bag up. Take all the normal OS stuff out and toss in super flippy things.

Going from low to high elevation would def make me change my bag up quite a bit. I tend to never play at elevation so my bag stays the same but when I travel to play in CO and others at high elevation I will change my bag up. Take all the normal OS stuff out and toss in super flippy things.

When I play in higher altitudes, I change out my fairway drivers (I don't throw distance drivers) from overstable to understable. But I leave my mid ranges and putters the same.

My bag stays the same for the most part. I may add or subtract one or two discs based on the course (generally adding a driver if I am playing at Lake Marshall or dropping a driver or two if I am playing something very short) but that is it. It has been a long time since I played at any real elevation so that is not a factor.

I rarely change my discs for the course, but I also don't change elevation. I have a Zuca transit cart. When I play tournaments, I will add a small bag on the bottom with back ups in case I lose a disc during the round. I also put a buckhorn bin with a full complement of back ups in my car in case I need to replace a disc in between rounds.

My bag stays the same, but I do add in backups just in case.

I also never throw a disc i dont have at least 50 throws with. Its just too tempting to say, "hmmm...let's see what this bad boy can do! Oh ****, I'm OB!"

Elevation does have me but everything up or down in stability. Use my comet way more in the mountains, and my buzz at lower elevation.

My bag stays the same, but I do add in backups just in case.

I also never throw a disc i dont have at least 50 throws with. Its just too tempting to say, "hmmm...let's see what this bad boy can do! Oh ****, I'm OB!"

I agree with that. I test discs out in the field or in practice rounds. I never have a disc in my bag for a tournament unless I am comfortable with it.

Elevation does have me but everything up or down in stability. Use my comet way more in the mountains, and my buzz at lower elevation.

That's interesting. I switched out my DGA Rift (5/4/-1/1.5) for a Discraft Buzzz (5/4/-1/1.5). But I hadn't thought about switching out to the Comet (4/5/-2/1) for higher elevations.

My normal mids in my bag are Comet, buzz, wasp, jokeri. When I go up to the mountains, my comet becomes my buzz, my buzz becomes my wasp, I drop the wasp, and the Jokeri becomes my OS disc.

I just played my highest elevation course a couple of weeks ago, it was at 10,500' for reference. My Comet would only anny if I throw it hard and on a 45-degree angle. I could not get the buzz to move for the life of me. I really struggled to adjust. Then I came home, 4,800', and things were back to normal.

Latest posts