• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building the minimalist bag

ranger

* Ace Member *
I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and I'm interested in hearing other ideas.

Creating a minimalist bag seems to require making sacrifices or prioritizing certain types of discs over others. Obviously, this has a lot to do with throwing style/skill level/personal preference, but I'm curious to hear how others approach this task.

So, how would you build a bag of 3-6 discs that could be used on any course and still give you a chance to throw close to your best? I'd like to hear what types of discs and specific flights are essential and what you would eliminate. For example, is it important to have a laser straight mid but okay to completely drop high speed drivers?

***I know an ultra-minimalist bag would be one or two discs but that's a different topic

Bonus question: Is it worth putting with a premium plastic putter that can double as a thrower?

To me the best way to do this is to do around 5 molds that have some variation by plastic type.

Were Indo do this it would probably look something like this;

DD; Giant, Destroyer, Nitro, Enforcer
CD; Firebird, Ahti, Fireball,
FD; Stag, Teebird, Crave, Explorer
MD; Bard, Roc, Matrix
PA; Atom, Swan 2

For my super minimalist rounds, on just about any course, I am comfortable with a Firebird, a straight OLF and and Flippy OLF, a fresh(ish) and beat KC Roc, and fresh abd beat Wizards.

That said, most any course can be played well with 2 Rocs and 2 Wizards--there really arent a lot of courses that can't be played well with controlled placements shots to 300' and a couple putters.

I am probably gonna scale down my bag at some point. Some of the discs I have don't really get used anymore. My shoulder problems have really restricted the types of shots I can throw. If I were to go down to 5 or 6, I could probly get away with...

Crave
Relay
Resistor
Soft N Envy- for putting and mid/putter throwing
and if its a longer course throw in a Fission Photon or a Wave. Then my Max and/or wasp for FH rollers depending on the course.

I don't think I would get rid of my AX-15 even if I did go minimal. I like the storage and drink holders. Probably just cut up some Styrofoam to stuff in both sides of the disc compartment...

I'd fill the neutral slots you feel are important to your game and then add the few utility discs to handle the extreme flights you can cover easily. Then start working on release angles.

I take a minimalist bag when I travel for work, and make sure to stop at the best course in the area.

Star Tern
Star Orc
Star Roadrunner
Z Hornet
Z Buzzz
DX Aviar

I turned to a minimalist style during the past 5 months and my current set up is:

Destroyers: 2 Star, 1 echo
Thunderbird: 1 Star, 1 Champ
Roadrunner: 1 Star
Eagle: 2 Champ, 1 Star
Roc3: 2 Mcpro, 1 MF, 1 Glow
Aviar: 2 Mcpro putting only, 2 JK (JC) Glow

17 discs

So, how would you build a bag of 3-6 discs that could be used on any course and still give you a chance to throw close to your best? I'd like to hear what types of discs and specific flights are essential and what you would eliminate. For example, is it important to have a laser straight mid but okay to completely drop high speed drivers?

Bonus question: Is it worth putting with a premium plastic putter that can double as a thrower?

I think straight discs are the way to go for a minimalist bag as I find them to be the most versatile, which is really the most important trait when you only have 3 discs.

Start with putter, mid, fairway that are all dead straight. Then if you are adding 1-2 more, go OS putter/mid first, then OS fairway, then US fairway if you are bringing 6. I never even think about distance drivers if I am bringing 6 or less.

My progression would be:
Core 3: Sole, QMS, Leo3
4-5: Jokeri, Respecti
6: G* Leo

This is how I would approach it, along with my discs:

1 putting only putter: something you feel confident in for a tournament or putting contest (Classic Aviar)

1 throwing putter: what you would use for a 1-disc putter-only round (S or P P2)

1 workhorse mid: what you would use for a 1-disc mid-only round (DX Roc)

1 placement/line shaping driver: (C FD)

1 Thunderbird-like driver: control like a fairway, distance like a distance driver, can be used in various roles (Champ Thunderbird)

1 other disc: could be all-out distance, wind-fighter, utility disc, maybe something you might throw once or twice a round but be glad you have it (for me, probably Champ Firebird, but maybe a beefy Roc or a Star Shryke)

When I am traveling, I bring at least these 3 discs:

Classic Aviar
DX Roc
Champ Thunderbird

I see that the minimalist philosophy was applied to spell-checking the thread title.

Didn't turn out that well.

I'll carry more discs, tyvm.

interesting stuff

I'd kinda like to hear more about the type of disc (e.g. understable mid), rather than an actual disc name.

I see that the minimalist philosophy was applied to spell-checking the thread title.

Didn't turn out that well.

I'll carry more discs, tyvm.

fake news

It was a typo and not a spell check error. Blame me and not the computer.

For my super minimalist rounds, on just about any course, I am comfortable with a Firebird, a straight OLF and and Flippy OLF, a fresh(ish) and beat KC Roc, and fresh abd beat Wizards.

That said, most any course can be played well with 2 Rocs and 2 Wizards--there really arent a lot of courses that can't be played well with controlled placements shots to 300' and a couple putters.

It's weird how much importance I placed on including a firebird like disc in my own list. It was the first thing I added after a putter.

I turned to a minimalist style during the past 5 months and my current set up is:

Destroyers: 2 Star, 1 echo
Thunderbird: 1 Star, 1 Champ
Roadrunner: 1 Star
Eagle: 2 Champ, 1 Star
Roc3: 2 Mcpro, 1 MF, 1 Glow
Aviar: 2 Mcpro putting only, 2 JK (JC) Glow

17 discs

Minimal molds, but I'm thinking of fewer discs.

What would you get rid of if you could only carry 6?

interesting stuff

I'd kinda like to hear more about the type of disc (e.g. understable mid), rather than an actual disc name.

The best understable mids started out as stable mids many moons ago.
They've been beaten into submission. They hyzer flip to straight, or thrown flat they flip into workable anny lines.

If possible, find the cheapest mid out of a used bin somewhere. Maybe $4.

The best understable mids started out as stable mids many moons ago.
They've been beaten into submission. They hyzer flip to straight, or thrown flat they flip into workable anny lines.

If possible, find the cheapest mid out of a used bin somewhere. Maybe $4.

I agree

But this is more of a thought experiment and not suggestions of actual discs (for me at least).

I was interested in the philosophy of building a minimal bag. What is absolutely necessary to have.

Latest posts