• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building the minimalist bag

Wizard
Kaxe
H3v2
Spirit

I could do a ton with this. I would miss the berg for FH approach. I can putt with a berg, but I can drive, putt and approach with a wizard. Not sacrificing a lot of distance with the H3v2, and have a ton of versatility. Spirit is amazing distance into the wind, OS enough for utility.
Kaxe is like cheating cause it does buzzz stuff and teebird stuff. Just not quite as well as either.

Wizard
Kaxe
H3v2
Spirit

I could do a ton with this. I would miss the berg for FH approach. I can putt with a berg, but I can drive, putt and approach with a wizard. Not sacrificing a lot of distance with the H3v2, and have a ton of versatility. Spirit is amazing distance into the wind, OS enough for utility.
Kaxe is like cheating cause it does buzzz stuff and teebird stuff. Just not quite as well as either.

What's an H3v2 fly like? Love the Kaxe even though I don't bag one:thmbup:

Recently flew out to Utah for a vacation, had room for 3 discs in my carry-on with plans of playing The Fort.

(as a temporarily forehand-dominant player) I went with a
- Lucid Felon
- ESP Buzzz
- Putter (Gateway Magic)

I think I would have had a fun time with 1 disc or my entire bag, but this was a good example of "minimalist bag" in action. If I could have added a fourth disc, I think upon reflection I would have gone with an understable fairway like a leopard3 or a relay.

What's an H3v2 fly like? Love the Kaxe even though I don't bag one:thmbup:

Speed 10/11 SOLF.

It pops up and barely tracks right. Really good shot shaper for its speed class. I basically replaced my broken in 1060 anax and lots with them. Does not have quite the glide as either of those, but a touch more speed gets it out as far or further.
I would say despite being a little less stable than an anax the lack of glide ad touch of speed also makes it just as good in the wind.

I love love love the kaxe, but really dont have a spot in my bag for it either. I am toying with giving it room in the bag again right now. Between a buzzz and demon but below the instinct/teebird slot. It is a perfect disc for a minimal bag though. Stable enough to do anything and covers mids and teebirds well enough.

I feel you on the Kaxe, between a Buzzz/Comet/Cobra and a Teebird I struggle to find a purpose. Old QJs will always have a special place in my heart (different I know but similar).

If I had to make a 6 disc bag, I would go with the following:

Two DX Aviar PnA's (one for putting, one for throwing)
Flat Top KC Roc
Star Leopard
Star Teebird
Star Firebird

Feel like I could do just fine with four discs, probably shoot what I normally do or 1-2 strokes off at worst.

Viking Rune
Electron Envy
Z FLX Buzzz OS
ESP Undertaker

One of my local courses is a shorter heavily wooded layout, longest hole is 271' so in winter with snow on the ground I usually only bag 5 speed and below so just the first 3 discs on the list. Thinking back I've shot -12 there in thick boots with 4" of snow on the ground and only 3 discs and the best I've managed in summer with a full setup for that course(16 discs) is -14. Makes ya think… won't make me change anything but… think about it? Lots.

Feel like I could do just fine with four discs, probably shoot what I normally do or 1-2 strokes off at worst.

Viking Rune
Electron Envy
Z FLX Buzzz OS
ESP Undertaker

One of my local courses is a shorter heavily wooded layout, longest hole is 271' so in winter with snow on the ground I usually only bag 5 speed and below so just the first 3 discs on the list. Thinking back I've shot -12 there in thick boots with 4" of snow on the ground and only 3 discs and the best I've managed in summer with a full setup for that course(16 discs) is -14. Makes ya think… won't make me change anything but… think about it? Lots.

I normally carry 10 discs, but sometimes I'll mix it up and only carry 4-5. I am MAYBE only stroke off on a wooded 9 hole course, and I learn a lot more with a small bag for sure.

Soft Wizard
DX Roc
DX Eagle-X
Lucid Felon

Trying to make some form changes so I've decided to simplify things and quit keeping score for the time being. I may bust out the Trespass if I can get the Eagle consistently over 300 feet.

I have been playing minimalist for the last 2-3 years now. I found my best rounds are when I play with 6 discs. When I bump up to just 7 or 8, I tend to add a few strokes to my game.

I change the 6 discs often, just trying slight variations, but the basic concept is always the same:

3 stable workable discs, something like a straight fairway, mid, and putter. Usually I have a slightly US FW, slightly OS mid, and true neutral driving putter. Sometimes I will sub out the OS mid for an OS fairway, or US mid, depending on the course.

1 wind fighter driver. Invaluable here in Texas. Too many times I've tried a bag without one and shot pretty terribly.

1 very understable disc for this get out of trouble situations.

1 putting putter. I have done this setup with a driving putter doing double duty as my putting putter, in order to add one more fairway to my bag, but honestly, I much prefer to have my trusty putting putter to just do its job.

It's interesting to see this thread revived and revisit it after 3 and a half years.

I am still using this same basic setup, but make even less changes in the last few years now. for a few years after this post, I completely dropped mids in favor of just the Envy/Proxy combo, so the core of my bag became Wrath, Crave, Envy, Proxy, with only the OS utility type disc changing between a Pyro, Resistor, and Fireball.

Nothing changed with that setup for a long time until the Hex came out. At first I tried to force it in as a 7th disc, but just adding one disc to my bag wasn't working for me. I dropped the Proxy and am back down to 6 total and loving my current setup. I got a replacement Resistor that's a little more stable than the one I'd been using for years and I think even that one is not going to rotate out as much, if at all, anymore.

But yeah, overall, the setup is straight-slightly OS Control Driver, straight-slightly US Fairway, straight Mid, OS Utility, straight-slightly OS Driving Putter, straight-slightly US Putting Putter. It feels like the best options overall are for a minimalist bag is more neutral discs that you can shape shots with, with a single moderately to very overstable disc for situational shots.

Well, this came in handy this morning. I am preparing to pack for a family vacation and was planning on taking a minimalist selection of discs with me to experience a few courses near Sarasota, Florida where I am staying with family.

I am planning on 5 discs total. I have way too many discs to choose from but will definitely have a core selection of discs I will make a selection today and post it up here when I am done.

Latest posts