• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Business selling lost discs.

We have a local PIAS that will buy ANY used disc that you have. No name check, no verification of ownership, nothing. They have let me buy back my discs at their cost, though.
Another local store has started selling used discs, but they will not buy any disc with name ink, unless you can prove that it's your name. Seems like a good practice.

I wish someone would call the police over this issue when they find their disc at a store. And get it all on video so we can see how the police react and the outcome of them being called for a found/lost used disc.

I work at a PIAS and we leave it up to the seller/finder to call the number listed on the back of this disc (if any). The way we view it is if you leave your disc at a course you are 1. Abandoning it and 2. Littering. I'd like to see anyone find a disc that USED to be there's in our store and say their keeping it. Hah, good luck.

I work at a PIAS and we leave it up to the seller/finder to call the number listed on the back of this disc (if any). The way we view it is if you leave your disc at a course you are 1. Abandoning it and 2. Littering. I'd like to see anyone find a disc that USED to be there's in our store and say their keeping it. Hah, good luck.

Oh boy, here we go again.
In before the Landfill.
Don't even want to get into how wrong this is...

Don't even want to get into how wrong this is...
How so? If you lose a disc and then fail to look for it hard enough to find it you obviously didn't want it back so you abandoned it by leaving. Abandoned property laws vary based on state. In Florida we couldn't do it, but in SC we can. If you bring the police into it over $8 you're the problem.

I'm more than happy to sell it back to them for the $5 I have in it if they provide me an id, but I'm not just going to give it away and lose $5.

I do not write my name and number in my discs....if I need to mark them for a tournament, I do not use my name and number.

As far as someone, business or individual, selling one of "MY" discs that has been found, (lost, abandoned, or otherwise), that is no big deal to me, I can always get another one. Disc Golf is a very inexpensive game.

Those that consider a "found" disc, as a "stolen" disc, baffles me. I can not count the number of times I have called a number on an inked disc, only to be told "just keep it", or "I traded that disc". Not to mention the hassle of trying to return it.

So let's make this simple, EVERYONE stop writing your name and number on your discs, UNLESS, of course, you write your name and number on ALL of your belongings, like a school aged child. (Did that sound too condescending?) Stop EXPECTING a call from someone who did find the lost or abandoned disc.

Problem solved.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am......I can take it, without getting all bowed up......

I do not write my name and number in my discs....if I need to mark them for a tournament, I do not use my name and number.

As far as someone, business or individual, selling one of "MY" discs that has been found, (lost, abandoned, or otherwise), that is no big deal to me, I can always get another one. Disc Golf is a very inexpensive game.

Those that consider a "found" disc, as a "stolen" disc, baffles me. I can not count the number of times I have called a number on an inked disc, only to be told "just keep it", or "I traded that disc". Not to mention the hassle of trying to return it.

So let's make this simple, EVERYONE stop writing your name and number on your discs, UNLESS, of course, you write your name and number on ALL of your belongings, like a school aged child. (Did that sound too condescending?) Stop EXPECTING a call from someone who did find the lost or abandoned disc.

Problem solved.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am......I can take it, without getting all bowed up......

:clap: :clap:

So many responses I want to post...

Problem solved.

I've returned dozens of discs because they had a name or number. People were happy to get their discs back. I was happy to do the right thing. It was only possible because some form of identification was on the disc. I'll continue to try to do the right thing because that is how I was raised. What you choose to do and how you choose to justify it is up to you.

We have been buying and selling used discs for over four years and created a "Used Disc Buying Guide" for our customers. In it in bold...

"We buy discs with only your name or no name on them."

That means...

No names...your name...not someone else's name or multiple names even if a name is crossed out.

Of course, we aren't perfect and a few customers (I would estimate less than five) have found one of their discs in our used disc bins over the years. We simply apologize for the mistake and give them their discs back at no charge. Everyone has been very understanding and appreciative.

Of course, we aren't perfect and a few customers (I would estimate less than five) have found one of their discs in our used disc bins over the years. We simply apologize for the mistake and give them their discs back at no charge. Everyone has been very understanding and appreciative.

This sounds reasonable and balanced. You feeling ok? Lol. ;)

I can't figure out which is funnier: calling the cops over a lost disc or shaking down the owner of a lost disc for $5. Just proves again how little folks in disc golf value their time. No wonder Chevrolet, P&G, Nike, Apple, AT&T, etc. don't want to sink millions into sponsoring disc golf. #discgolfrich

I've returned dozens of discs because they had a name or number. People were happy to get their discs back. I was happy to do the right thing. It was only possible because some form of identification was on the disc. I'll continue to try to do the right thing because that is how I was raised. What you choose to do and how you choose to justify it is up to you.

So how do you "do the right thing" if you find a disc that isn't inked? Do you lose sleep worrying about how to get this disc back to it's rightful owner? I doubt it.

As far as "what I choose to do and how I justify it" - did my post somehow give you the impression that I am morally bankrupt?

Did I not state that I have called to return many discs? I think I did.

My point was: IF NO ONE INKED THEIR DISCS, there would be NO moral dilemma for ANYONE and NO need for these "bound for the landfill" threads.

Last edited:
So how do you "do the right thing" if you find a disc that isn't inked? Do you lose sleep worrying about how to get this disc back to it's rightful owner? I doubt it.

As far as "what I choose to do and how I justify it" - did my post somehow give you the impression that I am morally bankrupt?

My point was: IF NO ONE INKED THEIR DISCS, there would be NO moral dilemma for ANYONE and NO need for these "bound for the landfill" threads.

If it's not inked, I look to see if anyone is nearby. If not, I usually leave it there. Pretty simple, really. Your moral bank account is your business. Justify your own behavior as you see fit.

Wow, it keeps getting better and better...and deeper.
I couldn't top this if I tried.
Unless, of course, you're just being sarcastic.
Yep, that has to be it.
If the above quoted comment isn't sarcasm, then you've gone beyond justifying your lack of good conscience, to telling everyone to abet your poor behavior by not marking their discs at all.
Yep, problem solved.

And if there were no speed limit laws I would have a clean driving record too. :confused:

Wow, it keeps getting better and better...and deeper.
I couldn't top this if I tried.
Unless, of course, you're just being sarcastic.
Yep, that has to be it.
If the above quoted comment isn't sarcasm, then you've gone beyond justifying your lack of good conscience, to telling everyone to abet your poor behavior by not marking their discs at all.
Yep, problem solved.

lack of good conscience...abet my poor behavior....thanks for pointing out my perceived flaws, I can take it....

Last year I was infected, fish hooked, cut, etc. In the process of returning hundreds of disc at my local course. When i found out that a guy in a neighboring town was selling the disc he found in the water , I was not happy. The fact that it was a board member of the local disc golf organization that told was fuct. Here I am helping people and others are making money from my disc. But once people starting texting me the description of the disc they just threw in the water, I gave up. Legally a disc is abandoned property after 24 hours in my state, so its perfectly legal to sell . Morally sound No. On the other hand if the seller of the found disc was able to find it , why couldn't the thrower? I would much rather see found disc donated to kids. This topic has been beat to death for a good reason.

One of the heaviest trafficked courses in town here has a river running next to it that occasionally gets really unsafe to attempt to retrieve discs from. I lost one I really cared about one day and came back the next with knee high waders.
I think I found 15 discs, none of which were mine.
Was able to return several of them due to numbers, or told to go ahead and keep them.

So once or twice more I did the same with the same result and then ran into someone one the course that told me there was a well known local guy that basically gets geared up almost scuba like to do the same and only returns ones if he personally knows the people, keeps the best for himself, and sells the rest to the shop down the street or PIAS.
And one morning I was out playing early and even saw the guy wallowing all over the river.
Looked on the local message board and was all confirmed.

No shop can be judge and jury for anyone selling them used discs, but they also shouldn't support some dude bringing in armloads of found discs to then take on the liability themselves.
The whole situation just seems greasy to me.

Latest posts