• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting to the nub of it - a completely different basket question

Is the "no nub" collar a good idea?

• I hate nubs and I like this idea

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I hate nubs but I hate this idea

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don't care about nubs, they are the least of the issues with baskets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Dude, aim higher and hit where you are aiming

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters
Hey, hey, hey! Don't get all sentimental and serious on me, I was just poking fun. :D

While I don't agree with "participation trophies", the thing I do agree with is the idea of a kid being able to accept that they tried hard and had fun with something without having to actually do well at it.

In other words, how do you get kids to understand their participation was good without needing to make them feel like a "winner"? It's actually a tough thing and situation, IMO. Mostly on the parents to instill a good attitude, I would say.

I know this is all completely off topic... but I mean... something something BBQ. There, now we're back on track. ;)

I agree. There is a lot of ifs/ands/buts to this, but if a kid tries, it kind of sucks to called a loser (technically true, but the connotation is much worse) for not reaching victory.

EDIT: there is a difference between being told you lost and being told you are a loser.

Your posts make ot sound like there are already some nubless baskets you guys are know of, or are perhaps even familiar with. Would you care to throw out a few examples of nubless we could google? Just curious.

I can't recall ever seeing a nubless basket intended for permanent, outdoor use... but I don't claim to have played on that many different basket types.

Yeah, I played somewhere on nubless baskets, and my memory is bad shots skipping off the rim and winding up a lot further out than the same bad shot might have, with nubs to catch on.

el guapo baskets (nubless) are made ~here, so a few courses around have them. there is a popular saying when you miss and your disc launches off the rim then lands further away: you got "guapo'd".
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111836
pricey, but almost 100% american

In answer to the initial question, aim higher.

Before the rule change, I can recall playing in a dubs tourney where my partners putt came out of the tray & hung on the nub. Bummer.

Since the rule change, I've had a putt pop out of the tray & hang on the nub. Yay!
That's 2 times over multiple years of playing that I've seen a time when the nub made an impact on a round. Positive & negative.

Oh, wait, I can recall a time when I was wearing a glove on my off hand. Reached in to grab my putter & the cuff of my glove got caught on the nub when I was removing my hand. Think I actually ripped the glove. So nubs curved into the tray, not a fan. Bend them in the other direction.:p

Its a feature. I hate mega nubs tho. But zero nubs also cause discs to grind on that smooth surface and frigging take off to the moon sometimes.

So i guess inevitable nubs (i.e. caused by the design where the cross bars are bent around the rim vs. nubs that are purposefully built into it because) are a happy medium.

In answer to the initial question, aim higher.

Before the rule change, I can recall playing in a dubs tourney where my partners putt came out of the tray & hung on the nub. Bummer.

Since the rule change, I've had a putt pop out of the tray & hang on the nub. Yay!
That's 2 times over multiple years of playing that I've seen a time when the nub made an impact on a round. Positive & negative.

Oh, wait, I can recall a time when I was wearing a glove on my off hand. Reached in to grab my putter & the cuff of my glove got caught on the nub when I was removing my hand. Think I actually ripped the glove. So nubs curved into the tray, not a fan. Bend them in the other direction.:p

No one anywhere is aiming at the nubs, lol.

Nubs don't bother me. Someday somewhere someone will invent the perfect basket, but until then this is what we have.

Took a picture of the baskets at Cornwallis, the course near my house where I played almost all of my formative rounds. I hadn't really realized just how big these suckers were compared to some of the more modern baskets. Does explain why I have a complex about it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20220923_161317.jpg
    20220923_161317.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 161
Reject baskets, return to tonal poles

Pretty sure those pills are for people who want, uh, nubs that are a little more … erect?

I'm just suggesting that if we are going to be touching a lot of these things, we should keep 'em covered.

we need nub condoms; quit taking chunks out of my discs!

Took a picture of the baskets at Cornwallis, the course near my house where I played almost all of my formative rounds. I hadn't really realized just how big these suckers were compared to some of the more modern baskets. Does explain why I have a complex about it.

attachment.php

Yeah these are the ones I dont like. They also dont make that satisfying CHINGG sound, more like a drab CLANGEDY CLANK.

We call them Seppo baskets in Finland because of the dude who first started to import them sometime in the neolithic age

Yeah these are the ones I dont like. They also dont make that satisfying CHINGG sound, more like a drab CLANGEDY CLANK.

We call them Seppo baskets in Finland because of the dude who first started to import them sometime in the neolithic age
As I understand it, Seppo got the rights from Steady Ed to make them in Finland.

My house basket is nubbless. It sucks when the putt bounces off the rim and carries an extra 5, 10, even 15 feet away sometimes. I don't miss it trying to snag my long-sleeved clothing every time I reach in, though.

I prefer having no nubs. Putting needs to be harder and not having nubs and having long skips makes it marginally harder.

Latest posts