• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Business selling lost discs.

Thank You All

Although the veterans might consider this thread to be a pure waste of bandwidth, as a newcomer to DG it has helped me.

We are building a new course a mile or so from my house in our local City Park, adjacent to the existing Skate Park and Community Center. During our second work party, I found two discs, both marked (one a tourney stamp) and contacted the owners telling them that their discs were available at the Community Center lost and found.

Thanks to this thread, I intend to get our new signage to include a notice of a permanent lost disc retrieval box at the Community Center, so all discs can be reclaimed, if wanted. Should help promote DG at the Community/Teen Center and provides an easy place to get your discs back.

My question is this, how long should discs (marked or not) be kept before donating them to the teen center for general or personal use?

TIA

Although the veterans might consider this thread to be a pure waste of bandwidth, as a newcomer to DG it has helped me.

We are building a new course a mile or so from my house in our local City Park, adjacent to the existing Skate Park and Community Center. During our second work party, I found two discs, both marked (one a tourney stamp) and contacted the owners telling them that their discs were available at the Community Center lost and found.

Thanks to this thread, I intend to get our new signage to include a notice of a permanent lost disc retrieval box at the Community Center, so all discs can be reclaimed, if wanted. Should help promote DG at the Community/Teen Center and provides an easy place to get your discs back.

My question is this, how long should discs (marked or not) be kept before donating them to the teen center for general or personal use?

TIA

Kudos to you for both establishing a new DG course and for setting up a permanent lost and found box at the community center. As to you question I would think one month (30) days would be a reasonable amount of time to allow someone to reclaim a lost disc. If they haven't come looking for it within that period of time they must not miss it too badly.

One of the heaviest trafficked courses in town here has a river running next to it that occasionally gets really unsafe to attempt to retrieve discs from. I lost one I really cared about one day and came back the next with knee high waders.
I think I found 15 discs, none of which were mine.
Was able to return several of them due to numbers, or told to go ahead and keep them.

So once or twice more I did the same with the same result and then ran into someone one the course that told me there was a well known local guy that basically gets geared up almost scuba like to do the same and only returns ones if he personally knows the people, keeps the best for himself, and sells the rest to the shop down the street or PIAS.
And one morning I was out playing early and even saw the guy wallowing all over the river.
Looked on the local message board and was all confirmed.

No shop can be judge and jury for anyone selling them used discs, but they also shouldn't support some dude bringing in armloads of found discs to then take on the liability themselves.
The whole situation just seems greasy to me.

There are a few different people who were known to get discs out of Griggs. A few years ago, you' d see several people selling discs by hole 1, almost like a swap meet. I heard the police cracked down for selling in the park without permits. Don't know for sure but you don't see those guys there anymore.

As for the shop, I've been called a few times letting me know they have one of my discs. As it was explained to me, most of the discs brought in by the river rats don't have any ink. Those that do, they would only take the ones of people they knew so that they could get them back to their owners. Do some slip through the cracks? I guess it's possible, I don't know.

edit to add that the shop doesn't pay cash, only store credit so most probably go to PIAS

Last edited:
Kudos to you for both establishing a new DG course and for setting up a permanent lost and found box at the community center. As to you question I would think one month (30) days would be a reasonable amount of time to allow someone to reclaim a lost disc. If they haven't come looking for it within that period of time they must not miss it too badly.

I believe 30 days is Glide's policy. If you bring them a found disc, they'll call the number and leave a message. Then u got 30 days before it goes in the used discs pile or gets donated.

Having Glide to use as a lost and found is such an awesome thing in Madison, and I really think it's why I get so many discs back compared to people here that say they never do. It removes the possible hassle of returning a disc, all u gotta do is drop at Glide next time ur there.

There are a few different people who were known to get discs out of Griggs. A few years ago, you' d see several people selling discs by hole 1, almost like a swap meet. I heard the police cracked down for selling in the park without permits. Don't know for sure but you don't see those guys there anymore.

As for the shop, I've been called a few times letting me know they have one of my discs. As it was explained to me, most of the discs brought in by the river rats don't have any ink. Those that do, they would only take the ones of people they knew so that they could get them back to their owners. Do some slip through the cracks? I guess it's possible, I don't know.

Good to know that the shop seems to have adjusted policy, and the fact that they have an answer for river rats deal in particular tells me they probably did so directly because of him.
I don't think the same happens at PIAS, though they do take a license on file.
(edit, point taken on the cash vs credit issue.)

I just remember seeing that guy with a whole mess of discs and it seemed crappy, knowing what his reputation was.
Also, I lost a dyed Proline Beast during a tourney at Griggs that I'm pretty sure had my number on it, and have never gotten over it, lol.

I work at a PIAS and we leave it up to the seller/finder to call the number listed on the back of this disc (if any). The way we view it is if you leave your disc at a course you are 1. Abandoning it and 2. Littering. I'd like to see anyone find a disc that USED to be there's in our store and say their keeping it. Hah, good luck.

*used to be *their's.

If you want to sound douchey, do it correctly.

I work at a PIAS and we leave it up to the seller/finder to call the number listed on the back of this disc (if any). The way we view it is if you leave your disc at a course you are 1. Abandoning it and 2. Littering.

Ooohhhhh. I love the counterargument of a lost disc being considered littering. :clap:

And to think, not only are you littering, you left your name and phone number on the disc as evidence it's your property. Now using the law to claim a $5 piece of plastic is yours isn't as exhilarating anymore. :doh:

I work at a PIAS and we leave it up to the seller/finder to call the number listed on the back of this disc (if any). The way we view it is if you leave your disc at a course you are 1. Abandoning it and 2. Littering. I'd like to see anyone find a disc that USED to be there's in our store and say their keeping it. Hah, good luck.

The thing is, you have no way to verify if the founder actually found it, and the loser actually abandoned it. Without this, you are potentially dealing in stolen merchandise. Wonder how that would look on the 5 o'clock news.

I do not write my name and number in my discs....if I need to mark them for a tournament, I do not use my name and number.

As far as someone, business or individual, selling one of "MY" discs that has been found, (lost, abandoned, or otherwise), that is no big deal to me, I can always get another one. Disc Golf is a very inexpensive game.

Those that consider a "found" disc, as a "stolen" disc, baffles me. I can not count the number of times I have called a number on an inked disc, only to be told "just keep it", or "I traded that disc". Not to mention the hassle of trying to return it.

So let's make this simple, EVERYONE stop writing your name and number on your discs, UNLESS, of course, you write your name and number on ALL of your belongings, like a school aged child. (Did that sound too condescending?) Stop EXPECTING a call from someone who did find the lost or abandoned disc.

Problem solved.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am......I can take it, without getting all bowed up......

This has to be most thought out, rational response in this thread.

What about private courses that do not let you dive for your disc but then charge you 5 bucks a disc to get it back? The last private course I played estimated they had 1000+ lost disc in the drink.

What about private courses that do not let you dive for your disc but then charge you 5 bucks a disc to get it back? The last private course I played estimated they had 1000+ lost disc in the drink.

I'd say if one has a problem with such a practice, they probably should steer clear of that course.

shoulda been a they're in there also.

What about the cost that private course incurs yearly to keep the place open?

Is it worth $5 for the disc you shanked into the drink?

Don't throw it in the water