• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buzzz & Wasp As A Team And Plastics

Odaon

I use the search but didn't find anything useful. Maybe I didn't search well, but anyways...

I've been getting out more now and just playing to get in some practice, and recently I got an Elite Z Buzz 176g from someone on here, and have been using it as my main mid and really, my main disc on the woody 9 hole I usually play. I'm loving it a lot but there are things that it can't do. I've heard/read a lot about people using Wasps as compliments to Buzzzes. What are the benefits of this? What can one do that the other can't? Or what is one better at than the other? I think I'm going to use the Wasp/Buzzz combo instead of Rocs, I have a Roc too and enjoy the Buzzz more, so far.

So yeah, what are the benefits of those, and what plastics do you guys like the best? I've heard a lot about Z and X, but I've also heard things about others, what are the benefits of the different plastics?

Thanks.

I prefer Z in both of them, and I carry the wasp/buzzz combo. But I tend to use the Wasp more than the Buzzz. If the wind is kicking, I'll definatly be using my Wasp for mid shot that isn't an anny. I've finally broken in a Z Wasp to fly pretty straight, with minimal fade or skip at the end. That's like a year's worth of breaking in. But my beat Z Wasp can still handle hyzer duties and a lot of slap. I keep a new Z 178 Orange Wasp in my bag when the wind is really kicking or I need a more overstable midrange shot.

The Buzzz helps me more on straight shots and annys with minimal fade. They can still be used for hyzers, and they are definatly longer than the Wasp.

For My Wasps I use Z 178g, and orange. I try to find the stiffest, most rigid ones out there. There are some gummier ones that don't really fly like wasps. For buzzzs, I use 173-178g, Z plastic. I was using the D Buzzz for a while, and the ESP a little bit, but the Ds break into to a little to flippy of a disc, and the ESPs just don't feel great in my hand. The Zs are what I see most ppl throw, and they'll keep that sweet spot of breaking in for a really long time.

I throw a Cryztal Buzz and a Z wasp, Wasp is more stable, Buzz for staight or anny shots. I've used Rocs,Shockwaves,Drones, and then the Wasp. So far I really dig the Wasp and it's my go to mid 250-350ft hyzers.

Ok, I was going to get a Z Wasp to go with my Z Buzz but figured I'd make sure there wasn't a better option. Thanks for the quick replies.

I've noticed that my Buzzz goes true straight for most of the flight. I use it to get through low tree tunnels. Is that the right use of it?

Do both of the discs respond the same way with forehand shots? Anny and straight with Buzz and Wasp for Hyzer?

I've been carrying both a z Wasp and a z Buzzz in my bag lately... other then when I temporarily lost my Wasp to the creek, I only recall throwing the Buzzz once since I added the Wasp.

Orion said:
Ok, I was going to get a Z Wasp to go with my Z Buzz but figured I'd make sure there wasn't a better option. Thanks for the quick replies.

I agree Z-Wasp is a good way to go. I would recommend getting a good beefy max weight one. Stay away from the ESP, they tend to be less stable.

Orion said:
I've noticed that my Buzzz goes true straight for most of the flight. I use it to get through low tree tunnels. Is that the right use of it?

Yup, thats the trademark buzzz flight...Its also great for sweeping hyzers and anhyzers. Unless it is really beat up it holds an edge really well.

Orion said:
Do both of the discs respond the same way with forehand shots? Anny and straight with Buzz and Wasp for Hyzer?

I guess it depends how clean your forehands are (FHs are much easier to torque over than BH's). Personally i find i have to throw both with more hyzer to get the intended flight out of em, but they're decent for forehands.

This may sound strange, but I came to the conclusion long ago that these two discs were not really compatable in my bag. For one, if you take an average Buzz and an average Wasp in any plastic, the difference in stability is usually a 1/2 step at best. I've not found too many Wasps that were actually OVERstable, but most have more of a straightish flight with an earlier fade than a Buzz. Newer Z and ESP Wasps I've thrown were very straight. Also, the bead accounts for quite a speed difference that really affects distance. For my mids @ flippy, straight, and overtstable, I want them to share the rest of their flight characteristices (speed/glide) as much as possible. When I threw both the Buzz and Wasp, I resented the fact that the Wasp was slower because I wanted to use it in headwinds. Headwinds slow your mids down and take distance off anyway, so I didn't want my wind mid to be slower than my straight one b/c they would end up WAY short.

For most of the past 2 years I've just had my Meteor, a straight Buzz, and the most overstable Buzz I could find (until it got beat into a normal Buzz, which doesn't take long, even in Z). i would use a Teebird if it was too windy for my Buzz. I recently rounded out my midrange trifecta with a Z Drone. I love this disc b/c it has the Buzz's feel/speed/glide and it is truly OVERSTABLE. Meteor/Buzz/Drone. I'm happy, Roc throwers eat your heart out... :lol:

discspeed said:
I recently rounded out my midrange trifecta with a Z Drone. I love this disc b/c it has the Buzz's feel/speed/glide

I like the drone too but i dont think it has any of these things even remotely in common with the buzzz. For me the drone has a much bulkier feel, is considerably slower than a buzzz/wasp and has virtually no glide. I agree the Wasp is noticably slower than the buzzz but it is still faster than a drone.

adidadg said:
discspeed said:
I recently rounded out my midrange trifecta with a Z Drone. I love this disc b/c it has the Buzz's feel/speed/glide

I like the drone too but i dont think it has any of these things even remotely in common with the buzzz. For me the drone has a much bulkier feel, is considerably slower than a buzzz/wasp and has virtually no glide. I agree the Wasp is noticably slower than the buzzz but it is still faster than a drone.

Have you thrown the Z? I have not thrown the other versions (I threw the D a couple of times years ago when they came out, but I don't really remember the speed), but the Z seems to feel a little sleeker than the others and definetely seems to me to be in the Buzz's speed class. It has a fairly low profile and a longer/more concave wing than the Buzz. I was throwing the Drone up to 340 yesterday, and its super overstable, so speed and/or glide had to have been involved or it would have tanked like a whippet or xtreme before it even got to 300'. It may well be the plastic.

discspeed said:
adidadg said:
discspeed said:

Have you thrown the Z? I have not thrown the other versions (I threw the D a couple of times years ago when they came out, but I don't really remember the speed), but the Z seems to feel a little sleeker than the others and definetely seems to me to be in the Buzz's speed class. It has a fairly low profile and a longer/more concave wing than the Buzz. I was throwing the Drone up to 340 yesterday, and its super overstable, so speed and/or glide had to have been involved or it would have tanked like a whippet or xtreme before it even got to 300'. It may well be the plastic.

No i've only thrown the Pro-D version. It flew like a brick which is what I wanted at the time, very predictable. It got beat up super fast which is when I switched to the wasp. Maybe I will give a z-drone a try.

I tried the B/W combo, but never became comfortable with the Wasp, that damn bead. I carry a beat Pro D and a CryZtal Buzzz. The D is straight to annie and the heavier CryZtal handles right to left. It's always a search for the molds and weights that fit your game. I appreciate the Wasp, and have mates who swear by Rocs, for me it's a light D and a heavier CryZtal.

I guess it's just personal preference really. I enjoy playing with the Buzzz I have, I'll try throwing some more Rocs as well as some of the others mentioned if I can find some to throw.

My Buzzz was being a biatch today. I wouldn't go any where I wanted it to. Probably mostly my fault but I wanna blame it.

I've been using a Z Wasp / CryZtal Buzzz / Sparkle Z Buzzz SS combo for a while now. The Buzzzes feel great but I'm still having problems with the Wasp. I've now decided to switch to Q Sentinels which have a slightly lower profile thus making them feel more like a Buzzz in my hand. I don't know if the Sentinels are going to get much use though as I've also got Champ Banshees and D Zones in my bag. Maybe I'll just throw a Zone when the length is not too much and beyond that I'd just use s Banshee.

The Buzzz is pretty fast, very shallow and flat and in my experience that makes it good for driving but bad around the basket. It just will not fall straight and it does not like underspeed applications. For me a Wasp always fell straighter. In any case, I never really liked them as a combo, as they are not different enough in the HSS department

I go with a D Drone and DX Roc now, and I'm not going to experiment further. Throw in the Wizard, and a few OLF thumbers and I think my short game is all set.

Good luck though. It took me a long time to feel satisfied with my mids.

This past week I made the effort to do several field sessions with a bunch of mid-ranges.

Wasps - two Z (new and worn), one D (new)

Buzzzes - five Z (mostly new to slightly used), three D (slightly worn, two beat)

Rancho Rocs - three DX (new, worn, beat)

Ontario Rocs - three DX (new, worn, beat)

Although this also comes under technique, I changed my run up to a very slow three-step walkup with follow-through, using a very short reach back, which translated into increased snap, control, and increased distance.

Today I played at the March O' St. Pats at Rutgers in NJ, utilizing a new Z wasp, two Z Buzzzes (moderately overstable and stable), and three D Buzzzes (slightly worn and beat). I ended up throwing them on a majority of the holes on the course with much better success than I expected. Only addition might be a D Wasp after further breaking in.

Wasp-Buzzz combo is where it's at.

Craig Smolin said:
This past week I made the effort to do several field sessions with a bunch of mid-ranges.

Wasps - two Z (new and worn), one D (new)

Buzzzes - five Z (mostly new to slightly used), three D (slightly worn, two beat)

Rancho Rocs - three DX (new, worn, beat)

Ontario Rocs - three DX (new, worn, beat)

Although this also comes under technique, I changed my run up to a very slow three-step walkup with follow-through, using a very short reach back, which translated into increased snap, control, and increased distance.

Today I played at the March O' St. Pats at Rutgers in NJ, utilizing a new Z wasp, two Z Buzzzes (moderately overstable and stable), and three D Buzzzes (slightly worn and beat). I ended up throwing them on a majority of the holes on the course with much better success than I expected. Only addition might be a D Wasp after further breaking in.

Wasp-Buzzz combo is where it's at.

You forgot 2 very capable mids that may have changed your mind! The QMS/Q-Sentinel combo!

This was the most recent buzzz thread I could find, but I just bought a sparkle Z buzzz with so much flashing I would call it a bead. This thing has the glide of a buzzz but is almost as stable as the Z drone I am trying out. Crazy disc.

Midrange Lineup
174 ESP Zone
177 Z Wasp
171 FLX Z Wasp
178 Cryztal Z Buzzz
178 FLX ESP Buzzz
170 FLX ESP Buzzz
174 Pro-D Buzzz

Other than tossing in a new Pro-D every 6 months, this is my favorite arsenal. For those that like the Wasp, the FLX Z is a pretty cool plastic. Seems a bit more nose sensitive than regular Z, and not quite as overstable, but thrown hyzer it cooks downrange, with better glide than I expected. The Zone is like a ball golf 5 iron. Great utility, very dependable distance and flight. Less stable than a Drone, but more versatile for me. KP