• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Called aces pre shot?

Notrepidation

Par Member
So, I hit my very first ace ever the other day (shameless plug and reason to post the video) and I actually called the ace prior to throwing it! Was VERY stoked. This got me wondering, how many of you have actually called the ace then produced it? Anyone done it multiple times?

Oh and feel free to critique the "happy dance" I did after draining it! LOL I mean come on, my first ace ever and I call it AND have it recorded??!! Who wouldn't be excited!? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a7QjZ7oeUE

I had one last fall where i was taking a couple noobs on safari doing long holes. We stopped at the big field to do some driving and i coached them on distance technique, then, pointing to the cage on the far left side of the field, said "ok, my arm is getting tired, now for some accuracy. this ones going in." and i'm not ****ting you, i drained a perfect sweeping hyzer with my PD in the heart of the chains at 430 feet.

BTW, congrats! I did a happy dance myself too!

You dance well! and deserve it.

I have 2 aces neither called but I got them and dance was better.

I once saw a guy call one and hit it at Newport News Park on basket 6. It was something to see.

Nicce man. How long is that hole? Looks pretty fun.. my first and only ace, I didn't call... but my friend did for me.. I remember cause I got pissed at him for jinxing me. It was about 220' with a big pine tree about 50 feet in front of the tee pad, and the basket behind that tree another 170' away and to the left a little.. so most RHBH do a huge hyzer.. but I throw left handed so I did a forehand hyzer shot and it just dove in the basket. I didnt dance, but I jumped up and down for a few seconds Lol

Before my first Ace, I told thegroup infront measuring for the CTP, that they shouldn't bother because I was going to take it. Then I drained the Ace. However, I didn't get the CTP!

I've seen guys that call every toss toward the basket. It can get annoying after a dozen calls in a round. If this was your first call and first ace, OUTSTANDING. If you are the other guy, I now go by the theory of, act like you have been there before. Dance, brother dance.

Before my first Ace, I told thegroup infront measuring for the CTP, that they shouldn't bother because I was going to take it. Then I drained the Ace. However, I didn't get the CTP!

How is that not a CTP winner?

I was playing a round with my two sons and we came to the last hole of a Middle School Course. 216 ft uphill, maybe a 30 ft up shot. We had been trash talking the whole round. I told them to go stand behind the basket when I threw so the could witness an ace from the baskets point of view. Even gave them the sharpie I had so they could sign the disc when the fished it out. Nothing but chains. They wouldn't talk to me the entire ride home.

I once called one for a guy in my tag group. Hole 6 at Bellamy Park had just been moved to the difficult position and he was on the tee being all uncertain as to how best to tackle it. I told him "geez Will, stop worrying and just put it in the basket". He immediately proceeded to throw a line drive through every possible tiny gap right into the chains! It turned out to be a damn good round for all three of us too! The other guy in our group also got an ace (hole 15) and I shot my best round ever to win with a 55!

nice.. i had a group ahead of me ask me to ace on command once.. z-comet dead straight in the chains.. but.. didnt stick :( .. have aces but cant say i have actually called any of them.. did call one for a friend tho :)

It wasn't a straight call, but I had a couple similar.

In a tournament a couple years ago, I was sharing ace stories with my group on the way to the tee. I only had one at the time, so I didn't have much to contribute...that is until the round started. My very first throw of the day was a no-doubter right into the chains.

Then, in round 2, I told my group about it as we approached that hole. They said something along the lines of "man I would've loved to see that." I said I'd do my best to replicate it. I hit the same line and it looked good, but went just past. Still got the easy 2 though.

In another tourney last year, I was third on the box on hole 18. There were a few people walking by and they stopped to watch us tee off. First two were very close, blowing right by. I don't remember what was said, but there was lots of commenting about how close we were getting. So then I put mine right in. Won the CTP too!

I don't think I've ever called it and gone in, been close a few times...

Somewhat related story. The Lucky 13, down in Springfield, MO, on a stupid temp hole, the basket is on a strip of land about 3' wide, OB on both sides (the strategy is to go long and putt back towards it). First round I go OB, from the drop zone to the basket is around 100', I say something along the lines of "I"ll just take my circle 3 and move on" Drained it. Second round, OB, "I'm just using the same strategy as last time" "Ching!"

Still did awful in that tourney, maybe I should have called a couple aces.

I played a round at Scrapyard in Charlotte once with two guys I met at the 1st tee. They were drinking beers and trash talking the whole round. Fun guys. One guy got up a few strokes and the other dude calls his ace on a really tight hole. And he nailed it. Then the trash talking just escalated. I wish I had it all on video. Funny stuff.

I was Paul Ulibarri do it two years ago on hole 10 in the short at Vista Del Camino. The kicker is he did it without looking. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

I call every ace I hit.

I also state I will hit the ace EVERY time there is a decent shot at an ace, just in case I hit it. Then I can say I called it!:D

On my second ace I stepped up to the teebox and turned around to my roommate and said "When I ace this you are going to give me $5, right?" and he said yes, then I turned back around and aced it. It was a short 275ish wide open hole, but still pretty cool story.

I was playing a round with my two sons and we came to the last hole of a Middle School Course. 216 ft uphill, maybe a 30 ft up shot. We had been trash talking the whole round. I told them to go stand behind the basket when I threw so the could witness an ace from the baskets point of view. Even gave them the sharpie I had so they could sign the disc when the fished it out. Nothing but chains. They wouldn't talk to me the entire ride home.

Note to parents: learn creative ways to shut your children up. :) :clap:

Done it twice with the same disc.

first one was a hole where I was warming up for a tournament and a guy asked me to show him how the hole was played, so I threw it and parked it. And then he said to show him the ace line so I threw it and aced it.

The other was the last hole of a tournament and I was down 1 and the guy leading parked the hole so I said "guess I better ace it" and stepped up and did to tie the guy. As a side note, lost the playoff.

Closest I've come to a called ace was during a doubles tournament. Someone hit an ace in the first round, and we were talking during lunch and I told him I was going to take half his ace pot during the second round. So about halfway through the second round, my partner threw first and shanked his drive. He got mad at himself and started apologizing to me, but I calmly responded "no worries, I've got this." and stepped up on the tee. Big hyzer shot over the trees and a few seconds later, bang, right in the heart of the chains. When I said "I got this" I wasn't really calling the ace, but in my mind that statement and the prediction at lunch make for as close to a called ace as I'm going to get. Best part was Mr first round ace was playing a parallel hole and saw the whole thing, so I got to play the I-told-you-so card right away as well.

I had a kind of premonition about another ace. I was practicing the week before another tournament, but it was not the tournament course. On one hole, I threw a shot right up the gut, and for some reason, a random thought crossed my mind. It was that if I replicated that exact shot on one particular hole at the tournament course, it would make a pretty good ace run. Fast forward to the tournament, also a doubles tournament (and coincidentally, I was playing with the same partner), and we get to the aforementioned hole. I visualize trying to replicate the throw from the other day, and throw my drive. It looked nothing like I pictured, carrying well left of the line I wanted. Oh well, not getting the picturesque ace this round. Then it hit a tree, took a sharp right turn and bang, right in the chains.

I've only seen one "called" ace and I wouldn't really count it as an ace, but the guy who threw it seemed to count it. I was giving a tour of my home course to Dave Feldberg when he came to town to play our B-tier a few years back. We were on the fifth hole and we'd each thrown a drive when he asked if this hole was one that people tried to intentionally skip their drive on. I hadn't seen anyone intentionally skip a shot since it is about 170 feet with a slight right to left turn...even beginners reached this hole fairly regularly in the air. So after that, he reached into his bag, pulled out a huk-lab dyed something, and said "this is my ace disc, I get aces with this". Then he skipped his shot right into the basket. A nice practice shot, but not a true ace. But after our round, he was describing how he shot and while he wasn't keeping score, he estimated he shot "-11 with an ace". Seemed he wasn't just counting that second drive as a ace, but he was counting quite a few second and third tries, both drives and putts, when estimating his score. That amused me. He shot -5 and -4 during the tournament to win it, so apparently he wasted his "hot" score on the practice round.

Latest posts