• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calling other players out???

At my last tournament , the TD's made an announcement before we played. They said that when you see someone making a shot, stop moving, but don't necessarily try to get out of their field of view. Its the movement that distracts the person, not the person standing there.

He said, that if the person wants you to move, they will tell you. If not, don't move. He also said if you don't ask the person to move, and you blow your shot, its your fault, not the persons, because you didn't ask them to move.

I don't understand why these angry people keep playing? If its not fun, why do it? Its amusing sometimes although its often annoying, and can even be oppressive.

At my last tournament , the TD's made an announcement before we played. They said that when you see someone making a shot, stop moving, but don't necessarily try to get out of their field of view. Its the movement that distracts the person, not the person standing there.

He said, that if the person wants you to move, they will tell you. If not, don't move. He also said if you don't ask the person to move, and you blow your shot, its your fault, not the persons, because you didn't ask them to move.

I play a lot of rec rounds, so people all of a sudden just stopping will actually throw me off more than anything. Doesn't help that I laugh when one of my friends does it, while playing a round he was right behind the basket and realized I hadn't putt yet so he just stopped mid walk. Right before I putt he said, "Look. I'm a statue". I laughed so hard as I threw the disc I about hit him. Never get mad though, rec rounds are for fun :D

Sometimes I actually like having someone directly behind the basket for a putt. I just think that I'm throwing it to them.

Whine asses should all quit the game B4 they blow a gasket!!! I beleive we all sarted he game to have fun, and when you get away from that, QUIT!!!

That was a tough one to do to be honest. Karma came later in the round when he was actually vying for a top spot in AM1 when he befell the curse of "basket on a slope". An easy three turned into a miss and roll (80 feet in his case) and ultimately a six. :)

Smile and nod :)

I don't understand why these angry people keep playing? If its not fun, why do it? Its amusing sometimes although its often annoying, and can even be oppressive.

Actually, I can answer this. If you play a particular sport a lot, like DG or regular golf, (like it was for me) you can get very good at it and you tend to put a tremendous amount of pressure on yourself to do even better, to get that better score, to par the course, etc. You just expect yourself to hit a perfect shot every time, and the smallest miscue can set you off. Ultimately, you put so much pressure on yourself that playing isn't fun anymore; you're basically miserable in your attempt for perfection, and it can affect those you're playing with or against.

When I was just out of high school, my brother and I played golf ever day during the summer. My brother was crazy good, having placed 10th at the state Districts tourney as a freshman. We got so good we just expected ourselves to be able to better our score every outing, and when we didn't we got mad.

It finally got to the point where it wasn't fun anymore, and we gave up golf for several years until we could have fun playing it again. But some people just keep the unrealistic expectations and play and play in an Erysichthonic attempt at perfection, making the game nearly unplayable for themselves and others.

My rule of thumb is, when someone is putting and I'm not moving, I don't move until they have putted. If I am moving when they are putting, I keep moving until they have putted.

I had a guy the other day that kind of irked me. Out at northvalley the 500+ foot hole over water is played that if it goes in water on the first throw, you go to the drop zone. then if you don't make it across again, you go back to the drop zone. Now I shanked my beast into the water, and went to the drop. Next I threw the surge and skipped it off the path on the other side, but since it was soooo flooded, it skipped into a half foot of water just to the right of the path, AFTER hitting dry ground. We took a drop since it hit dry ground first and I ended up with a double circle seven :mad:

After we holed out, and were getting ready for the next one, the group behind use came up. One of the guys behind us came up and basically yelled, "Hey, did one of you go in the water twice??!!??, You are supposed to go back to the drop zone if you go in the water!". We were cut off multiple times in our explanation of our throws (two of us did this), and how it hit ground before going across. He just kept pressing that "you have to go back to the drop zone if you go in the water"

Keep in mind, the TD was in my group...

that was Mr. Disc Golf if I am not mistaken. Or Mr. Rule Book.

OK - I gotta call BS on this one.

Unfortunately everybody's right AND everybody's wrong.

The kid that complained?? He was right!!! It is everybody's responsibility to avoid providing a distraction for another player - it's called common courtesy. Shut the F up, and stay behind whoever is throwing.

Unfortunately - he was wrong in how he approached it - as if someone is distracting you - it's up to you to step away and ask them to step back.

You guys are all right - in that he handled it poorly - but you're also all WRONG by suggesting that insisting on following the rules of courtesy is somehow unacceptable.

So do everyone a favor - every time you play. Offer them the same courtesy you would expect from them. Stay behind a player who is obviously further away from the basket than you. And situations like the OP's will never happen.

For those that know to stay still unless asked to move when you are in someone's field of vision - good for you - that's a very good habit.

Actually, I can answer this. If you play a particular sport a lot, like DG or regular golf, (like it was for me) you can get very good at it and you tend to put a tremendous amount of pressure on yourself to do even better, to get that better score, to par the course, etc. You just expect yourself to hit a perfect shot every time, and the smallest miscue can set you off. Ultimately, you put so much pressure on yourself that playing isn't fun anymore; you're basically miserable in your attempt for perfection, and it can affect those you're playing with or against.

It finally got to the point where it wasn't fun anymore, and we gave up golf for several years until we could have fun playing it again. But some people just keep the unrealistic expectations and play and play in an Erysichthonic attempt at perfection, making the game nearly unplayable for themselves and others.

Valid points, but putting that pressure on yourself is not going help your game. I've been in the elite in other sports, I always had my best races/games when I was just out there, doing my own thing and having fun. Usain Bolt and Gary Hall Jr. are the perfect examples. Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. Believing in yourself is different that putting pressure on yourself.

I run into the problem of not wanting to stop my routine if something distacts me i couldnt stop ask someone to quit then putt. I can stop and refocuse, but if i start talking for any reason its all over that throw isnt going in.
Wish i could say you should never miss a ten foot putt. One the first hole of a tourny this weekend i park a 350ft hole, watch as two others with longer putts nail down birds walk up and chink right in the front of the basket. No worries it ended up being my first tourny win five strokes after one round held on to the lead threw the second.

Valid points, but putting that pressure on yourself is not going help your game. Believing in yourself is different that putting pressure on yourself.

Oh, I agree. It's just that many people like that don't realize their position. They have blinders on. Once you've reached your zenith in your particular sport and strive for more at the cost of its enjoyment, the experience becomes tainted and futile.

Latest posts