• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Camp Sankanac

Its more than worth it for what your getting and unlike entrance fees into say DE state parks ( White Clay Cree, Brandywine) its pretty clear where your 3$ is going....

I had a good discussion with Pastor Jeff at the Conrad Weiser tournament this past weekend over the new changes at Camp Sankanac. As the first person in the disc golf community whom he contacted to provide feedback and make adjustments to the Camp Sankanac course, and as someone who has continued to provide feedback and refinement over the years, he values my opinion (and I his) and we bounce a lot of ideas off each other. Here are some things I can divulge:

• He and I are meeting sometime in October at the course to view the proposed design for the new nine holes. Several new holes will be placed on the hillside above hole#1. Several more holes will be incorporated between the walk from hole#8 to hole#9. The last new holes will be down by the creek. At least two of these new holes will be pro par five holes of 700-800 feet in length.

• We are currently soliciting feedback for what type of professional targets to be installed. The sentiments of the disc golf community and the price of the targets will be weighed before a final decision is made. All proceeds collected from the new pay-to-play policy at Camp Sankanac will go solely into the purchase of these new targets. As soon as sufficient money for 9 new targets is collected, the new targets will be installed on the original course and the old baskets moved to the new holes. Obviously it's going to take some time before this money is collected; additionally, this will allow us to take some time with the design process to ensure that we have disc golf holes which fit into the spirit of the existing course.

• Speaking of the new pay-to-pay policy, Pastor Jeff said it goes into effect on October 1st. Jeff solicited feedback from a number of folks before making any decision, and the price of $3 per round or $5 for unlimited daily play was, I believe, going to be the price scheme going forward. I think that if you compare this competitive price to other pay-to-play disc golf venues around the country, it might be one of the lowest you will find. The camp fully understands that as a pay-to-play facility there will be increased expectations as far as course maintenance goes, availability of scorecards and maps, directional signs, etc. We want everyone who pays the entry fee to feel like they get their money's worth by playing a course which is mowed regularly, has clearly legible scorecards and maps available at the start, and clear directional signs to help navigate folks through the course. The installation of more benches around the course for rest / relaxation, nature observation, and inner contemplation was also discussed.

• We ask for your continued patience and understanding with changes at the camp. As many of you know, Jan Coudriet, the long time director of the camp passed away recently and direction of the camp is being made right now by somewhat of a committee effort. Whereas previously Jeff could get a decision straight from Jan, he now has to consult with a number of folks. Until someone steps up and takes over leadership, things will likely move at a slower speed.

• From the descriptions Jeff gave me, I am extremely excited about the new holes and you should be too! One of the holes will be a memorial tribute to Jan and will be a downhole par 3 with the basket surrounded on 3 sides by the creek, and will likely be the new signature hole on the course. On a course where practically every other hole could be a signature hole at other venues, that is really saying something!

best regards,
    -Jeff

Did pastor Jeff mention anything about the course being open on Saturdays? When the course opens on sundays?

Sweet update. Can't wait. I would like to help inStall the new ones if possible. I have reached out to pastor Jeff a couple times about that but have not heard back.

I hope that the can run a cople nice tourneys to make them some extra money so those baskets can get bought. I thought I saw a post on here about play it again sports donating baskets to a course.

Wow what an update lung:thmbup:...im sure i can speak for everyone whos participated in this thread that the information you have provided got me pretty siked to see all the changes to come...Sank is already a fantastic example of what a lot of hard work and a mutial understanding between players and owners can accomplish...I apreciate you sharing your relationship with Pastor Jeff with all of us and I can't wait till the ball really gets rolling on all the revamps/additions...the course can certainly count on there being a couple larger bills in the box during my rounds...Please keep the community informed as I am sure you will have a bunch of people including my self eager to help.

I traveled a great distance to play CS last october when it was supposedly open. The orange cones were up and the fellas in the denim jackets were not helpful. Open it or close it.

I want to know when it is open and closed too. I want to play there but don't know when to go and would definitely be bummed out if I made the trip out there and it was closed.

I want to know when it is open and closed too. I want to play there but don't know when to go and would definitely be bummed out if I made the trip out there and it was closed.

If you're travelling any distance, I would call ahead (610-469-6320) to confirm that the course is open.

Also check there website out and shoot pastor Jeff an email. He normally responds the same day

And my vote on baskets is anything with out the large ring on the top of the basket. Mac 3s are nice.

Any rumors of a post-Thanksgiving doubles tournament this year? The last two years have been a blast.

be nice to have a local course have the first vortex baskets those things catch everything.

A date in October has been set and I can't wait to see the new proposed holes. Good to see a lot of enthusiasm from everyone else on here as well.

be nice to have a local course have the first vortex baskets those things catch everything.

Any rumors of a post-Thanksgiving doubles tournament this year? The last two years have been a blast.

I will pass both of these comments on to Pastor Jeff. :thmbup:

Latest posts