• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Camping on Site

jupiterboy

Eagle Member
I know the search has a "camping nearby" criteria, but I am curious about courses, private or public, where you could throw out a tent, have some potable water or a stream, and a fire pit maybe. Are there destination courses like this? I know it's not everyone's bag. Sry if there is already a thread, but I figured this sort of thing does exist.

With enough notice I'm usually more than happy to let folks throw a tent up for a night. The fire ring and water source are already there, and if you prefer filtering creek water, there's a creek 30 feet away.

That said, the course typically isn't playable from about May-Sept. so I've not had many campers.

We've had a few travelers camp at Stoney Hill. At tournaments, about half the field will camp here, for the entire weekend.

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but many courses at state parks and even county parks, have camping on-site (campground, $$$). I've been to some that the camping is close enough to walk to the disc golf course. Including, notably, the IDGC.

I know the search has a "camping nearby" criteria, but I am curious about courses, private or public, where you could throw out a tent, have some potable water or a stream, and a fire pit maybe. Are there destination courses like this? I know it's not everyone's bag. Sry if there is already a thread, but I figured this sort of thing does exist.

Sleepy Hollow State Park
Meeman Shelby State Park
France Park
Wilderness
Deadwood DGC
Sky High DGC
Mason County (Beauty, Beast, Goliath)*

*camping across the street

Just off the top of my head...probably state parks would be your best bet for checking for
this sort of thing...

Some more...

I try to pick up those state park maps that list all the activities in a big chart. Some family vacations are planned on dg/hiking/camping/swimming convergence. :)

About 20 years ago, in the Mobile, AL area, I camped at Cottage Hill and Citonelle Parks. I believe they're both county parks, not state parks, but they look like state parks. In both cases, the course was real close to the campground.

As for state parks, I'll note that some I've played, have the disc golf course a long way from the campground. Such that you'd want to drive from your tent to the course. I'm not sure how that fits in with the theme.

About 20 years ago, in the Mobile, AL area, I camped at Cottage Hill and Citonelle Parks. I believe they're both county parks, not state parks, but they look like state parks. In both cases, the course was real close to the campground.

As for state parks, I'll note that some I've played, have the disc golf course a long way from the campground. Such that you'd want to drive from your tent to the course. I'm not sure how that fits in with the theme.

It's all useful. I'll watch this thread and think in terms of a trip where I burn as little gas as possible, spend as little as possible on rooms and eating out, and get some fun rounds in.

Crowded camp sites are always weird in terms of leaving your stuff out, but these private courses, assuming they don't drag you into the back and make sausage of you, would be pretty ideal. ;)

It's far from where you're at, but Horning's Hideout is a fantastic place to camp. Tent camping, or hook-ups. The only big downside is no open fires allowed during dry season, usually about 3rd week in June to mid/late Sept. Three courses on site.

SOAC, a new private disc golf course in South Carolina, may. I know they have some tiny cabins than can be rented.

Turkey Lake in Orlando, FL, is another local park. They had 2 courses when I last played there, but I think they have 3 now. With a campground right in the middle.

Stoney Hill, as I mentioned before, is our private course, and a camper would have lots of solitude. And we have enough sausage already.

Oh, Mississinewa State Park, too...I knew I was missing one.

IDGC has onsite camping: Wildwood Park.
Gordon Holton near Columbus, OH.
Panther Creek in Morristown, TN

SOAC, a new private disc golf course in South Carolina, may. I know they have some tiny cabins than can be rented.

Turkey Lake in Orlando, FL, is another local park. They had 2 courses when I last played there, but I think they have 3 now. With a campground right in the middle.

A little clarification here, it is Bill Frederick Park in Orlando. And yes, there are 3 courses there now. The big metal gate closes every night and does not open until 8AM.

There is a LOT of courses that fit this description. Michigan alone has a dozen....just a guess. Some, on nice properties with quality courses. The quality of courses and accommodations vary. I'm not sure we are going to get a list here. If there is an area you are looking at, I would throw out a post on one of the travel threads and hope some locals provide some feedback. A ton more courses likely have very close camping available too.

Dino Hills in Glen Rose, Texas (about 50 miles southwest of Fort Worth) has camping on site. And there are TWO courses (one a putt-putt course).