• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can a course be designed HERE (via Maps)?

The interesting layout is the gotcha on this.

I'm up for the challenge! :thmbup:

There is only so much you can do on any given piece of land.....and this is no exception.

Not so fast my friend. This isn't over yet. In fact, it could be this has just begun!

I hope to get approval from the town to have this course be able to claim it is "The First Public Disc Golf Course Designed Online by Disc Golfers"! ANYBODY know of any DG course design that claims this now?

It may sound silly now, yet you gotta admit, this could be interesting... But WAIT, like on TV, there's MORE! ;)

A Cash Prize for Best Design maybe? That would be cheaper than paying a professional designer for sure. ANYBODY ever hear of this being offered online before? If not, maybe we can do it HERE for the first time?

We could possibly use a poll here at DGCR or just let town officials pick the best design.

Doesn't that sound rather interesting? I'd like to take a shot at that myself (I got a "home field advantage"!) Hehe Or, must I be disqualified?

Believe you me I am not trying to pour cold water on your enthusiasm.....rather I hope all the amenities you mention do get implemented and can do as much as possible to compensate for what is lacking in the given piece of land (terrain, water, trees, views, space, etc).

I know you're not Dave. Believe me, I have some VERY interesting ideas I have not revealed yet... Hinted at? Maybe...

I did move some of those spare tires (+ stuck a pole in center with flag on top) to a few positions in the field to help the Town Park Officials imagine several holes. I feel they will be impressed as we walk over the property. I want to get their input and we can easily move them around some as may be needed. I sent them an email about this thread shortly after it first started. I'm not sure if they have been following it as it has evolved so far.

The thing I still wonder about is that middle woods section... Can we have permission to clear a path for at least 1 hole entirely in the woods or not?

If not, what about tee(s) coming out of them or a basket tucked in there? At this point, I have NO idea...

But it won't be long NOW! Today is the day (it's now 1 AM EDT)! We should know a LOT more in just about 11 HOURS! Myself and 2 other local disc golfers from Summerville I recruited will be there. One of them I have only met over the phone after he called me to say he found my Star Destroyer in the bushes at Park Circle. It was thrown there by the other guy who will show up who lives in the Gahagan Park area. They have not met either, but both are excited about a first ever DGC in Summervile OR Dorchester County SC. Isn't THAT rather interesting too? ;)

Please wish us Good Luck!

Curve ball thrown for Gahagan Park DGC...

Our meeting with the Summerville Town Council Parks Committee Chairman Mike Dawson and Town of Summerville Parks and Recreation Director Mike Hinson was encouraging. But, we also learned about an unexpected problem.

I apologize for any confusion I caused (or spread more widely), but as it turns out the Town of Summerville SC no longer owns the land we've been discussing.

It was traded to the National Guard in exchange for a property they owned near another park in Summerville. Right now, the Guard is only using the land nearby for a storage facility. As I understand it, they would have to agree to allow a disc golf course to be installed on the property.

But, all is NOT Lost! I hope the National Guard will be able to lease this land back to the Town of Summerville for a very nominal fee (possibly as low as only $1.00 per year) in a long-term arrangement (hopefully 99 years).

There are also Sertoma Football practices held on this field at certain times of the year. In fact, metal tackling dummies can be seen here (chain-locked to a tree). And, as mentioned earlier in this thread, softball and Little League team practices are sometimes held here as well. Disc golfers may have to yield priority to these other activities if park staff request this.

I remain hopeful an arrangement can be worked out soon so a new disc golf course installation can proceed. Both Town Park officials seem to be on our side!

I want to publicly thank both Summerville Parks officials for their time to view the property and see the places we put some spare tires to suggest hole locations. I must also thank the other local disc golfers who were there, including a father and son who brought their bags to show the town officials all the discs (about 80) they use.

Those tires we moved are probably left there for high-stepping football practice drills. This town takes its football program VERY seriously! I kid you not, Summerville High School Head Football Coach John McKissick is now the All-Time Leader in the number of football wins among all football coaches - active or retired at any level. He's been the head football coach since 1952! This fall, he'll be entering his 59th season at Summerville with a record of 576-135-13, nearly 100 more wins the nation's second winningest coach. He's won 10 state championships with the Green Wave and was named to the National High School Hall of Fame in 1990.

So, disc golf may have to play second fiddle to any National Guard and/or football activities in this area. Baseball and softball might be another story, as there are now some new empty fields that could be utilized instead. In general, I'm still confident a DG course can go in here! The wooded section is considered a "wetland", but that does not mean this area can't be used for DG tee(s) &/or hole(s).

If this new uncertainty makes you decide against posting a possible layout diagram, we understand. However, I would still love to see any ideas DGCR members have in regards to where they think tees and holes should go.

Thanks to ALL who have been participating in this thread so far! And, if you haven't jumped in to add your 2 cents yet, please feel free to do so any time!

I'll try to keep everyone informed of any new progress regarding this project.

Here's our 9 suggested basket placements...

If town park officials had asked us for a map of where the 9 baskets should go yesterday, this is what I had already prepared.

gahagan-dots.jpg

This basket layout avoids any hole(s) completely in the woods. Tees coming OUT of the woods do not seem to be as much of an issue. Obviously, there are quite a few different ways to design the course using these pin locations!

I will show mine in the next post. I think moving around the area steadily once is probably the best way to go. If anybody wants to use this image to propose a different arrangement, I'd love to see how YOU would do it!

The bottom left and bottom right baskets are actually on Gahagan Park property. Bottom right would be a combination "Kids Hole" + practice basket! Bottom left seems like a logical place for the first hole (through the clearing for overhead power lines running to park office building) with a DG rules sign.

Here's my new layout using the same basket layout shown above. I know some of us want at least 1 longer hole here (#5). :)

gahagan-mine.jpg

Using this layout, there would be a short path through the woods from the #6 basket to get to the #7 tee for safety purposes.

summervillecopy.jpg

Okay, for starters... this is the first time I've done this, so yes... It may not be perfect. ;) But here are my thoughts

I originally wanted to take it through the timber in the middle, but I know how flooding goes here in SC. So I opted around it. I opted for some different pin placements, which are done in Blue. I X'd out one basket, giving me the 240ft target. Then I figured I would compensate distance by making the last two shots through the woods. If it's too dense, then playing along side of the woods. It was just a thought, I figured I would at least throw my 2cents in. I'd have to see what it looked like in that corner to really make an assessment.

*7 would be about a 220ft hole. I forgot to add the distance.

Last edited:
summervillecopy.jpg

Okay, for starters... this is the first time I've done this, so yes... It may not be perfect. ;)

You have included some good hole ideas, while avoiding that middle wetland. The National Guard might be sensitive to that.

Those last 2 holes might cause some problems with baseball/softball practice, but they will have some new fields to use instead of this one. I may have tried to cater to them too much in my latest design. There are LOTS of possible combinations! Thanks for taking the time to post a layout.

By the way, I talked to a Dorchester County official today who knows those 2 park officials who were there on Monday morning. (I had asked him about a new Dorchester County DGC long ago.) He said he may be able to help by making the request for a long term lease to this land (I like 99 years @ $1 per year) a mutual one from both the County AND the Town of Summerville. That could be a BIG help! He said he'd make a call tomorrow and call me back on Friday! I also told him Charleston County added another new DGC.

I'm confident he is on our side as well! He seemed impressed that the park officials were there to meet with disc golfers who actually live in this area. He has brought youngsters to that kids playground and liked idea for a Kids Priority practice Hole too.

Last edited:
I like that one Russ

For a first attempt at online course design, he did one heck of a job, didn't he? :)

Thanks for letting him (and us) know you like his layout. Please feel free to post one of you own if you'd like to.

Earlier in this thread, I included a link to Irfanview, a superb freeware image viewer/converter/editor that has been downloaded over 50 million times. Many claim it's almost as good as Photoshop and in some ways even better (faster because it loads so quick and so intuitive you will NOT have to read a manual to figure out how to use it). That's what I used for making mine (Easy!).

Thank you!! I'm glad ya'll liked it! I hope that it helps!

Photos: A few basket locations we prepared for last Monday...

Below are a few photos of those used tires we positioned (with pole + flag in middle) for park officials. There are 2 in first shot, looking to far corner. :)

gahagan-tires-1.jpg

Below is a photo of the other far corner (between them would probably be the longest hole on the course) on side of park along West Carolina Avenue).

gahagan-tires-2.jpg

Below is a shot of the basket position tucked into a mowed area near the end of the abandoned bleachers. Obviously, those need to be disassembled...

gahagan-tires-4.jpg

Last shot of proposed disc golf basket locations at Gahagan Park in Summerville SC (we had 7 such locations without using the "wetland" area in middle).

gahagan-tires-3.jpg

For any locals who want to view location in person...

I posted a message about this thread in forum for Charleston Disc Golf Club. If a local wants to see this property in person, here's how to do that...

#1 - Park somewhere in front of the Kids Playground and walk around it on left.

#2 - Go under chain shown in the below photo. At the back of this building (contains 2 rest rooms + water fountain for kids), the proposed first hole tee is on the left (going under clearing for wires you can see here). The Kids Priority/Practice hole is on the right. If you walk straight ahead, that's where the finishing hole #9 would be. By all means, bring your disc bag and aim for trees while you are walking around to check out the area. Pretty cool? :D

gahagan-chain.jpg

Donation

As a member of the Charleston Disc Golf Club and a resident less than 2 miles from this park, I will find a way to pledge $100 and my time and back breaking effort to see it through to finish if you guys can get it landed and started. Let me know how I can help and any free time I have is yours.

Tracy Stephens
CDGC since 2008
[email protected]

As a member of the Charleston Disc Golf Club and a resident less than 2 miles from this park, I will find a way to pledge $100 and my time and back breaking effort to see it through to finish if you guys can get it landed and started. Let me know how I can help and any free time I have is yours.

Tracy Stephens
CDGC since 2008
[email protected]

Tracy,

Sorry I did not reply to this earlier. Thank you kindly for your generous offer of both time and money. I hope to get the project moving forward very soon!

If you live that close to Gahagan Park, you are probably also not far away from the Coastal Center. I've talked with some of the supervisors there about us putting in 9 baskets there too. Sadly, they do not have the funds for baskets themselves, but they sure have some ideal land! In fact, we did get permission to install 9 poles there for a temporary/obstacle course there.

If you want to play it, you need to check in at the office for a visitor sticker. It's located on the front right side of the property (if looking from Miles Road). If we can get 9 baskets in Gahagan Park and another 9 put in at the Coastal Center, that would be 18 total holes in Summerville and Dorchester County. There's also been talk of 9 over at Fort Dorchester Park, but that area may be too historic, plus there is a fee for visitors at that park.

The Town of Summerville also has park land nearby Summerville Medical Center.

Let's talk about it sometime SOON and see what can be done to push this...

Thanks again for your kind offer(s). If you want to go see the property and try making a layout for Gahagan to post in this thread, that would be great!

Update

After all the discussion, plans for this course are being scrapped. Here's the local note.

Well, I don't intend to give up on this project so easily... I knew going in we would be facing some naysayers who simply want to maintain the status quo.

I first talked to the gentleman named in that CDGC thread well over 2 years ago. It's really not his call to make - at least not by himself. The meeting we had was essentially with 2 different people with authority over that guy.

I may have been pushing a bit too hard for fast progress myself. I thought it best for me to back off a little. We do need to get permission from SC National Guard to put in baskets on their property that adjoins Gahagan Park.

That's where it stands now. To say plans are "being scrapped" is misleading.

The Town of Summerville seems willing to pay the cost to buy 9-10 baskets!

Dorchester County may also be willing to help pay for some baskets if needed.

If we can find a better location for a course, that would be great. I talked with the key guy from the Coastal Center (near Gahagan Park) and he seems willing to let 9 baskets be installed on their land IF somebody else buys them!

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

Welcome to any SHS 76ers (Summerville High School Class of 1976) who might be reading this thread. :)

We were all brainstorming in a new Facebook group about dates, times and a possible fun activity for all of us to bring our kids to in early Fall next year, which will be the 35th Anniversary for the Class of '76. Naturally, I think it would be FUN to possibly have a disc golf competition right in Summerville. I bet we'd have a bunch of "Never-Evers" and could even have a contest division just for all them. Hehe Using the Park Circle course can be a backup.

Having a new self-imposed "deadline" gives me new incentive to try to push to get this project done by then! :D

We have got some critics (who don't want disc golf played in Gahagan park) to deal with. But nothing that can't be overcome. Maybe some town officials up for election can make promises? ;)

Last edited:
interesting concept - design by online comittee

notes:

always err on the side of safety
- if in doubt safety-wise, make shorter holes
- 6 holes is not a bad thing, if it means they are good and safe (not saying that you can't have 9 good and safe holes on this property). it doesn't matter if no one travels to play the course. short courses like this are for the locals.
- mando's for "safety" are a BAD idea. mando's for challenge are OK. many players won't know what a mando is, choose to throw the other way anyway or miss the mando with a ripped shot that's way off line.

nothing beats having a seasoned designer walk the property.

enjoy the process and the final product!

interesting concept - design by online committee

I thought so too. We remain open to suggestions if anybody still wants to whip up a layout for this land. Some really good ideas have already been brought up!

Sadly, there's definitely some extra red tape to cut through (with multiple government agencies), but that doesn't mean we will just give up! I have informed some key government players this effort remains an ongoing quest. As a result, we may even get plans going on another course in future local parks!

enjoy the process and the final product!

Thank you! While the process so far has been more frustrating than enjoyable, I know having the final product (a new 9 hole course) in the ground would be GREAT!

Let me ask this...

The land for my proposed "Kiddie Practice Hole" is 100% on the Gahagan Park property that has nothing to do with the South Carolina National Guard at all.

Would it worth the effort to get just a Single DG Basket installed for practice?

Maybe it can be a small but possibly significant step towards a 9 hole course?

It's possible some holes could go around the very outside of this park as well.

UPDATE:

In the most recent election, there was a special referendum for Dorchester County SC on a $5,000,000 "GENERAL OBLIGATION BONDS TO FUND COSTS RELATED TO WATER QUALITY, FORESTS, PARKS, AND WILDLIFE HABITAT". It passed with 70.8% Majority! It's possible some of those funds could be used to bring Disc Golf to the Town of Summerville and/or Dorchester County!

If YOU live in this area and are willing to help (show up with us at a County Council Meeting), please respond either in this thread and send me a PM here in this forum. I plan to compose a preliminary long-term lease request letter for the SC National Guard to allow this empty land adjacent to Gahagan Park boundary to be used for a free public DG course. Ideally, officials from both the Town of Summerville and Dorchester County will agree to submit it jointly.

Maybe that can be TWICE as persuasive, compared to a letter by either one?

Thanks for ANY feedback and/or encouragement!

There was a local election on Tuesday of this week...

The Town of Summerville SC will finally have a new mayor (Bill Collins) for first time in over Forty-Five years! That's how long Mayor Berlin G. Meyers has been in office.

Yes, we had to wait until after this election to make another "push". That's finally over now. I am confident we'll make some significant progress for a Dorchester County SC Disc Golf Course SOON!

If you are a SC Lowcountry disc golfer willing to help with this project, please post a message here.

Thanks!

Latest posts