• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can I Play In a Tournament?

cjsleme

I know nothing about tournaments and I was wondering if someone can look at my scores and tell me if I would be able to play in a tournament and what division if any I would want to be in? Do they have tournaments for people that suck like me?

I sucked when I had played 3 months (actually I still do, haha). I just started playing local weekly tournaments that are more laid-back until I got a better idea of how things work. They're also a great place to get tips from more experienced players.

You need to be at least a member of your country's DGA to participate sanctioned tournaments (you automatically earn membership when you join a local club). Also remember that it's not really about what you score in a tournament, it's about having fun!

Last edited:
I saw posters about tournaments at a local course I will call them and ask them questions about it. I think most of them were just locally hosted.

You can suck all you want, and still play Rec or Novice in any tournament that offers those divisions. If you want to play in a tourney, play! Don't let your scores or lack of experience keep you away.

Search "First tournament" here on the forums for some great advice.

You can suck all you want, and still play Rec or Novice in any tournament that offers those divisions. If you want to play in a tourney, play! Don't let your scores or lack of experience keep you away.

Search "First tournament" here on the forums for some great advice.

You can suck and play pro. Just pay the money.

Don't worry so much about your skill level. Play in the weakest division available. You will meet a lot of great people and get your feet wet in the tournament scene. And you will gain a ton of valuable experience. Just play and have fun. Who knows you might just cash.

I started playing last year. We had a "fun Day " at work where I was introduced to the sport. The next day I spent a bunch of money on discs and a bag and went to a local course to practice. Turns out they were having a tourney that day and I played in it (36 holes later I could barely lift my arm). Long story short, I learned alot that day. Everyone was friendly and gave me alot of tips. By all means, play in a tourney.

I sucked when I had played 3 months (actually I still do, haha). I just started playing local weekly tournaments that are more laid-back until I got a better idea of how things work. They're also a great place to get tips from more experienced players.

You need to be at least a member of your country's DGA to participate sanctioned tournaments (you automatically earn membership when you join a local club). Also remember that it's not really about what you score in a tournament, it's about having fun!

That doesn't seem true, my first tournament ever was when I was a noob, never joined any club or anything. They let me in. I suppose you might be referring to a PDGA level tourney? In which case, he doesn't need to be playing those yet anyway.

Sanctioned is a very loose description. My first was very "sanctioned" by KDGA (Kansas) but was not considered PDGA certified. Just don't want the dude getting confused.

Sanctioned is a very loose description. My first was very "sanctioned" by KDGA (Kansas) but was not considered PDGA certified. Just don't want the dude getting confused.

Whenever anyone talks about a "sanctioned" tournament it's a safe bet they're using that as shorthand for the tourney being PDGA sanctioned.

Whenever anyone talks about a "sanctioned" tournament it's a safe bet they're using that as shorthand for the tourney being PDGA sanctioned.

Gotcha. Just to reiterate my point though, there are tourneys that are not pdga but feel very much like one and very competitive. Just start paying attention to your local tourneys throughout the year, they tend to repeat annually.

I played in my first tournament last week and we pleasantly surprised where I ended up. I would say go for it and sign up for the lowest division offered, that way you can see where you stand better.

That doesn't seem true, my first tournament ever was when I was a noob, never joined any club or anything. They let me in. I suppose you might be referring to a PDGA level tourney? In which case, he doesn't need to be playing those yet anyway.

I believe it's a different standard in Europe.

In the United States, you can play in a PDGA-sanctioned B-tier or C-tier without any kind of membership. You will pay an additional $10 as a non-PDGA-member.

Yup, put your money down and off you go. Be sure you understand a few of the more important rules and BAM, your in. Most people don't know them all, heck some don't know any and it didn't stop them from playing. Let us know how it goes.

Like I said in a previous post, I played in a tourny the day after I was introduced to the sport. I did not play well, but I learned alot about the rules, strategy, mechanics, etc. I suggest you play, but make the primary reason for being there to learn. Not to mention alot of fun.

Latest posts