• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can I really go anywhere throwing forehand?

When you guys say "straight" shot, are you referring to ending up straight or actually going on a direct line with no turn/fade at all?

Referring to straight. Can have a gentle fade at the end. But there are a ton of disc holes designed to go down a chute. I can throw my river or leopard dead straight between 200-250', not curve of fade. I managed a dead straight 500' mako down a hill at one point. I'm not sure a FH can handle the precise nose angle/flat disc throw this require. if the only throw you have is a big flex which ends in the middle, you have to make other throws to avoid the trees.

It helps if you can swing both ways, FH and BH. More options will open up if you don't rely on just one or the other, and you will be a more versatile player IMO.

For me, a Teebird=good BH and FH disc.

I have this issue, and is also the reason I am having difficulty developing overhand shots, both tommy and thumber. To throw it too much like a baseball/softball. a disc is substantially different, and ripping my arm apart. I learned my first year throwing 99% backhand. I can shape almost any shot, with the exception being a long anny curve, but can do pretty well tossing a glide or leopard with enough snap and turn. My distance is not incredible, but feel like i have a strong variety of shapes. For ultimate distance potential, I have read the BH is a stronger throw

Referring to an earlier poster, if you are to throw one of the directions consistently, I think you must develop a straight shot. Whenever i hear of a non-pro/non-tournament player using a disc such as a boss, I automatically assume a forehand because of the sloppy, flex, s curve used to fight inconsistencies in release speed/angle/turn so apparent in FH

That's the problem. You don't throw it like a baseball (at least not forehand, I'm no good at overhands to comment there). I wrote a lot on how to throw a smooth forehand in this thread, hopefully it'll help you develop a forehand that doesn't hurt to throw.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27383