• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can only fit 22 in the bag...

Firstly, it snowed during my round today.

I auditioned a couple 6-7/10 Champ Vikings to replace my roller Vike (was a 6/10 new run, domed-but-not-domey Viking). They're both the older run - flatter, gumier, and, I fear, STILL a bit too stable for the roller slot. Great back-ups for the medium-wear hyzer flip with fade slot. One even survived a ~10mph headwind... flipped a bit up to flat and held the line out to 340', avoided flipping OB, and set me up for a nice deuce.

Lastly, I didn't wobbletron/OAT my Comets or KC Rocs even once. I think I'm getting a good handle and some good touch with them. I had 2 ace runs, right over the baskets, one with a Comet one with a Roc.

I'm surprsied to find that my 177+ Z Comet is my flippiest Comet. I'd rate it 8/10. I thought I was having form issues til I bagged my 3rd run ESP along with it. It's got a touch of turn, of course, but holds a hyzer and is generally a good bit more HSS than the Z. /shrug

5th place in MA3 on a hard course, windy 2nd round, mild hangover and 2h sleep. /notbad.jpg

Picked up a production ESP Comet - not a lot of dome, prediction: this sucker's gonna flip a bit. I like the ESP grip better in the cold months so if it flies like my Z, I'm going to be happy. Also got a back up for my CCR KC Pro (slick and hard stuff) Roc.

Stand-out shots were with my Comets mostly, and a perfect uphill-to-turnover shot with my DX Leonard. Parked one impossible hole, a shorter uphill-to-turnover shot, with a little wrist turn on my flippier Comet. Parked. I couldn't do it twice though.

I carry 26 discs. For every course I play. Now, At the closest course to me, I may only throw 6-8 of them. (Short wooded course, at which I have the course record) But if I get into a really bad spot I might need my D1 that flies like a Stiletto, but I also might need my F7. So I have all of my discs just in case I need them.

My Comet control is getting better every round! With that, everything else in my bag has stabled up a bit as I polish my form. Except my S Wizards... I think it's time to add a freshy! There's a big gap between my Evo and less-beat S.

Everything in my drive feels pretty smooth as long as I'm concentrating on it and not trying to throw hard. I've been getting a lot more 350 than 310 on my long drives.

I'm going to be testing Sidewinders for my long range roller/understable driver. With everything flying a tick more stable for me, I'm not getting a lot of turnover action from my Vikings. I picked up a bulk of 8 Vikings and none of them have as low of a PLH as my "flippy Viking" which ain't all that flippy.

I really want to try a Bandit, but no - I will resist at least until I rule out all of the discs I already own!

Near-term plans:
1. Go back to mid/putter casual rounds. I need to learn more about my Rocs. Maybe get a DX Roc so the domes are all consistent (have DX Roc3 right now).
2. Restart at home putting practice. There's not a lot of room in my APT, so 50 from 10, 15 and 20' is about as creative as I can get.

Tournament this weekend - 5th in MA3 on a windy day, took a lot of strokes from lack of confidence in my disc selection near water in windy conditions, as well as some weak grip issues on putter drives resulting in some embarrassingly early releases.

Coming off of a couple weeks of Roc/Comet/Wizard rounds, I was unsure about my driving game, so I only packed Teebirds, Leopards and Firebirds as well as one champ Eagle. It was very windy, and I felt like my slower discs were behaving more predictably than my cardmates' Katanas, Bosses and Nukes. I also didn't see where I lost any ground in terms of raw distance. On longer holes I was even, more or less, after the first drive and ahead after the second.

I also managed bad drives well, taking the safe route and keeping the mindset of "I'm not taking a four by not running this risky upshot. I already took the four off the tee. I need to not make it a five." My cardmates carded lots of 5's, a few 6's and some 7's and I carded one 5 all day (but a lot of 4's :\).

I picked up a couple Comets, a Breaker and a Stratus for my special lady. I'm having mixed results with the Breaker so far; I'm having trouble using it for touch shots, FH shots and FH touch shots, haha, but it's amazing BH with power!

On Sunday my legs, specifically my tibialis anterior muscles (just to the outside of one's shin bone), were killing me. I had a slow start at Winter Bag Tag Challenge, but finished really strong with a 55' (or, 18 paces anyway) uphill deuce putt, and carded a 3 on this 671' hole. :thmbup:

Some updates for winter. Pretty much, I'm only playing at my tag league on Sundays. It takes me about 6 holes to get warmed up. I'm discing up a lot, and hey, that's cool.

To clarify, I'm throwing faster discs than I usually need to reach holes - I haven't added any fast drivers though.

Winter bag:

Wizards - no change
Rocs and Comets - no change. My DX Roc 3 quickly beat to a mild-turn no-fade disc. Pretty much a better feeling Atlas right now.

Leopards - switched to 2 Pros. One seasoned, one fresh.
C-FD's - I still have these around. Since I'm trying to use this slot as my distance driver, I put my Teebirds up and broke out the flat, stiff C-FDs. Since I'm bundled up and we have 6+ inches of snow, I used these on a lot of 280'-300' shots and they're a lot easier to get there than Rocs are right now.

S-PD - picked up a real swirly orange one at a shop after nailing a job interview (got the job!). I wanted something that won't flip up as much as my 1.2 QOLF in the wind. So far so good.
P-PD - all my MOLFs are white, so I'm packing the next best thing. I also have Vikings and Sidewinders I could use here, but I wouldn't mind if I lost these in the snow.

Firebirds - no change.

I don't know why I'm stressing about the 9 speed stuff. I haven't been throwing distance drivers very well when I've got 5-6 layers on, cold muscles and no footing. Might as well just stick to throwing short and smart.

Putt and approach and shortrange: Wizards, Suspect, Aviar
Mid range: Rocs, Comets, Foxbat Long range: FD, Leonards
Distance: PD, Roadrunner Utility: Firebirds

Just added G* Aviar and Leopard. They felt great out in 30° weather, damn near lost the Leopard in the snow. I DID lose my P-PD. I started the winter with a pair of Blues, and I've lost 'em both in the snow, along with a Pro Leopard. Basically - all the discs I throw the most. :/

The good news is it wasn't seasoned at all, and I have freshies. This will be my 5th PPD. I hear they're good when beat in. I wouldn't know.

I did good work yesterday off the tee with my fresh PPD and a fresh champ RoadRunner for the tailwind shots.

I lost a 2nd run C-FD to a tree kick into the snow. Those always make my heart sink. There are only so many in the world, and I only have a modest little stack of backups.

The GStar Aviar isn't as grippy otu in the cold as the Leopard, and it has more fade than I expected! I've only thrown a Classic Aviar in DX though, so I shouldn't be too surprised. I like it, now that I know what to expect from it.

I'm still having issues with <150-70' upshots. Longer than that and I'm more comfortable throwing a putter, shorter than that and I'll use putting form... right in the middle and I'm either using "too much finesse" AKA coming up short - or just blowing by my landing zone. I should just suck it up and pull out a Wizard and throw little hyzers into the 15' range.

Here's what I carried at a tournament yesterday. I shot very well (for me!) and posted 910 and 938 rated rounds. I over took 2 guys on the top card to place 3rd in MA3. I'm rated 886 with a great back log of rounds factored in, I feel it's quite accurate.

Putters: I'm still in winter mode, and not driving putters off the tee. I just don't have a feel for it after 3 months of cold and snow and discing up. Spring time will definitely see some Wizard/Aviar only rounds.
Wizards!
2x SSS - Pinky and the Brain, my putters for putting.
Chalky SS - stable approaches.
Worn S - straight approaches
Evo - overstable approaches. I did not throw this disc yesterday, the plastic very slick when it's cold.
Aviar
One DX Classic Aviar for lofty/glidey/lobbed shots that are a combo of layup and run at the basket. When I use this on BH approaches, I tend to overthrow the basket by 40-70'.

Tweener disc:
Suspect - fading-hyzer approaches, short drives, short FH shots. I mostly carry it for the FH shots. That flat/shallow profile is more forgiving than flicking my Evo Wizard.

Midrange:
Rocs:
Star Rancho - I have one with dome and one that's flat like a roc 3 and straighter. I swap them depending on the wind. I don't use them much, tbh.
DX Rancho - I got about 3 months on this one now and it's still perfectly HSS. I would like to wear it in more, but I'm perfectly okay with NOT blasting trees with it. There is def a gap to fill between it and:
KC Pro - "Multi-Purpose" stamped. Chewed a bit. Straight Roc. Smooth turn into slight breezes.
Comets:
Z - Fresh, heavy, good dome. 200'-250' lasers. I replaced my first Z only because I found one with a yellow stock stamp on a blue disc and.. It just looks really good! I use it for any manner of straight/anhyzer/short hyzer shots.
X - I can throw this like a civilian frisbee. I use it to get out of trouble when I can't move - hyzer or anhyzer, the glide will carry it 100' with mostly just wrist snap. It's also my turnover mid out to 300', given enough height.

Fairway:
CFD - 2nd run, flat, stable, predictable. I use this for smooth BH hyzers and powered straight "just hit the gaps" laser drives. I power it down when there's too much wind for my Rocs (hence not using my star roc much), and it's great for FH.
Leopards:
G* - got an x-out, triple stamped, a touch flatter than the stock ones, JUST like the pre-#'s pro leos. This guy is.. amazing. Stand still 300+ hyzer? Sure. Turn and fade 350'? Sure! Late release sneaky action through all the branches unscathed and back to the middle of the fairway? Yep! I'm still worried about the soft plastic in the summer sun. Even in the winter sun I have to think about not squishing my thumb in too hard on the plate.
Pro - still a pretty fresh Pro. Slight hyzer will flip up to a 340ish laser with a small fade. I'm still hoping I'll get my seasoned Pro Leo back. I should go look for it today, we had a good melt this week. I'm gonna have to throw some rollers with this guy to fill the gap between it and:
DX - Turns ALLLLLL the way over. I use it for uphill distance, STRONG tailwinds, and 200' trouble shots. There's one hole at Sleepy Hollow (hole 8), up a big hill with the basket a bit to the right. I LOVE that hole, cuz I get to rip this guy at 90% power hyzer and have ZERO worries.

Firebird: I use a Firebird as my Firebird.
Champ 12x flight numbers, 167: Headwinds, fh, skips.
Champ 12x pre-#'s, pearly, flexy plastic. MMMmmmmm, buttery workable BH overstable shots. Grippiest Champ disc I own.

Distance: This will be my third season being "disced down". I'm not only matching, but often exceeding distance vs people of similar skill/rating who are using Nukes/Destroyers/D1-5/Cannons/etc. Still, there is the occasional MA3 player who can bomb 400+, but they always fall apart in the woods.
PDs
S-Line - Straight to fade, hyzer flips into medium winds.
P-Line - Go-to driver, light turn and predictable fade in calm conditions, hyzerflips into light winds. I've lot 2 this winter, so this one is still fresh. I estimate I will cycle a new one in every 2-4 months, depending on their level of abuse. I also have a zipper-top "SOF" OLF that could fit this role and be more durable, with the same Firebird-rim feel.
Champ Roadrunner - long slow turning action, or flip-to-long-straight shots. I'm eagerly awaiting late spring so I can re-learn sky rollers. I was getting 30-40' past my max air distance with them at the end of last season.

Self-criticisms:
The Star Roc could go. I use the Suspect for the shorter shots in its range and I can power down the CFD and my Firebirds for o/s midrange duties in the 150-250' range.
I could cut back to 3 wizards, my two putters and one stable one, plus the Aviar and Suspect. I'll have to wait til I get back to putter rounds to make a final call. The other option is to work with them and drop the Suspect, which I added in the winter when my putter game atrophied.

Payouts yesterday were all Discraft, since it was a Featured Event. So I picked up a couple of the MDGO special ESP Glo Zones. 170-172g, slight dome. I could flip them for cash monies, or... I could try them out. I've given Zones a few shots, but they've never really clicked for me. These feel better than the concave ones, and it could possibly bump the EVO wizard (I love the flight but not the plastic) and the suspect, with good BH and FH utility. Plus, all my friends throw zones!

I'm going out for a casual round w/friends in 40 minutes. I better sort all this out before then!

I traded a buddy for a Z XL. I only have a couple throws with it on a windy day, but it looks to have a really nice hyzer flip with fade flight, a tick faster than a Leo, and maybe a good all purpose driver on calm days. We'll see.

The bag looks pretty solid man. Also pretty similar to mine. I have dropped all my higher drivers though. You find that Z Comet at CJ's? I feel like I saw one just like it there lol. Also I miss sleepy hollow a ton. I used to frequent that course every other day when I was going to MSU, its where I was introduced to the game. When I worked at the park there I was in charge of keeping the course mowed and weed whipped.

Also I am a firm believer in the Zone lol

You and everyone else man! I just can't figure out what to use 'em for..

Yeah, I got my Comet at CJ's :D I saw it there twice, agonized over it the first time and when it was still there... I couldn't resist.

Also, dude, mowing and whacking Sleepy's no joke! Every year they do a bit better with the fairways, giving us a little more room for error. :) Where you there when they took out the tree on the green on 12 (it was along the pipeline's path)? That made me sad.

Well I worked there 4 years ago. I don't remember taking any trees out on the course. But I mean it could have been me. Do you mean the one right to the right of the tee pad? That is the downhill hole right, the one with "the banger"? If that is the tree that sucks and def. wasn't me. It's all a little hazy, we def. felled a lot of trees that year on the trails and such. FWIW we always brush hogged the rough in the week leading up to the Girls Gone Wild A-Tier. I'm sure they still do it, that is when the course was at it's best. Fairways were HUGE!!! lol

Well I worked there 4 years ago. I don't remember taking any trees out on the course. But I mean it could have been me. Do you mean the one right to the right of the tee pad? That is the downhill hole right, the one with "the banger"? If that is the tree that sucks and def. wasn't me. It's all a little hazy, we def. felled a lot of trees that year on the trails and such. FWIW we always brush hogged the rough in the week leading up to the Girls Gone Wild A-Tier. I'm sure they still do it, that is when the course was at it's best. Fairways were HUGE!!! lol

It was only last year. You have the right hole, it was the ONE tree that was actually on the fairway, maybe 100' short and right of the basket.

I was a spotter for DGGW last year, and the course was looking great. I wish even A-Tiers were run as well as that event, I had a great time. I spotted on hole 8 (big uphill shot, they took the guardian bush out on the top of the hill there too, but it's still a hard hole). I got to watch drives on 8, 10, 11 and 12 from my spot.

I wonder why they took that tree out lol. Though I can't really think of any shot it ever effected of mine. Maybe it was dying or there were bees or something. Maybe people a lot better than me complained that they were putting their drives into it. They do do a good job. The park even assigned me to spend a full 8 hours driving around on the gator handing out water and getting people access to what they need when it was going on. Easiest money I have ever made lol.

I added a beat DX Roc from the MP, a C-PD and a second Roadrunner, Star, 171g.

I have a wide range of stable/understable discs, and I really enjoy neutral flights and controlling turns. I'm much better at flipping discs to flat than flipping them over - especially my Pro Leo and Champ RR. I have some work to do on my Pro Leo to get it where I want it, and I got that beat up Roc because... I just don't seem to season discs fast enough through normal play. I know there are ways to speed it up, but... meh.

I don't know if I need anything more for o/s stuff. Firebird does a lot of powered-down work for me, and the KC Roc stays straight into moderate winds. Form issues are at the root of not being able to keep it on line in stronger winds, I think, and the CFD does those shots well enough! I think I just need more practice throwing low hyzer shots, getting that release to come out straight and low, but on a hyzer angle, rather than popping up into a sky hyzer.

I can't help but want to swap the C-FD for something that just.. goes farther. I haven't had much time with the CPD though, I also forget that I can throw my FB for BH air shots even when it's not crazy windy. As much as I like getting more discs, I keep coming back to the idea that what I really need is new skills and not new plastic.

Played MSU DGC in STRONG winds and learned the following things:

The beat Roc flips nicely down corridors, but I have no idea how it'll fly in calm conditions.
My QMS (now no longer 10/10) is a real nice straight shooter that also flipped nicely down the same corridors.
Both sit on the more stable side of my Comets.

PD's got destroyed by some R>L wind, just picked up and pushed 200' left. Might just be that hole, it plays uphill a bit, but I tried to keep 'em low and flat. My most-stable-Teebird did better. Crosswinds suck.

Strong headwind approches with the Evo Wizard were turning over. Not uncontrollably, I just need to aim dead on or left of the target and commit. Changing aim and being unsure left me some 15' headwind putts that were getting pushed around. Swapping in a Pro Rhyno might just be a smart play in those conditions.

Latest posts