• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can only fit 22 in the bag...

Lost a Star Leopard and my beat S Wizard in various waters today. Always sucks to loose an ace disc, but I've been doing most of my work with a fresh Eraser and anhyzers with my Classic Aviar.

Players' pack got me a JK Aviar and a Tsunami. The Tsunami feels like it might be a DGA PD type deal? And the JK is flexy and grippy. I never had a BB Aviar before, but I def. like the feel of Wizards better.

Getting 3rd place :D got me a Star Roc, DX Roc, SS Wizard (firm, velvety, need to beat the crap out of it!) and a nice feeling 168g JL Teebird.

Highlight of my day was a 280' field ace that I hit with my DX Roc. Pure hyzer line into the heart of the chains! So pro!

Still trying to find something to replace my beat Wizard, and in general my Wizard cycle is broken.

Currently, my putters are looking like:
2x SSS Wizard - for putts. same as it ever was.

Pro Rhyno - used at a tournament with lots of OB and wind, haven't used it much since. Took it out for a:

Envy - shallow, stable, and fast. Fades less and flies farther than I expect. Still in "trial" but I have confidence in it. Very nice FH upshots and long BH drives. It has a nice skip on fast greens, for better or worse.

E Wizard - 1 ace on it this year, stable driver/upshots. Very comfortable and confident with it. 230' on hyzer lines, a bit farther with a flat release. As this guy wears, it may be the seed of a new Wizard cycle, depending on how I feel in the future about:

Pro Nova - straighter than the wizard and a bit touchier. I had these in for a trial and then hit 2 aces with 'em last week, both over 200', one ~245'. I tried putting with them for a round, and... No.

Classic Avair - similar feel to the Nova and less stable. Still not a turnover disc, so I'm going to drop this for now.

Yeti Aviar - I never got rid of these. I know one turns reliably, I tried it out for a round and it was sticky to grip and the one throw I had with it went bad. I think I'll give it a bath and try it again. Similar feel to Wizards.

I use Wizards for my straight to hyzer putter drives and thought I could get rid of my Yeti once I get a Wiz beat in enough... I was wrong. The Yeti I have is quite thrashed but still performs admirably for high anhyzers and turnovers and laser straight shots when dialed down a bit. The concave top is awesome for driving with.

I use Wizards for my straight to hyzer putter drives and thought I could get rid of my Yeti once I get a Wiz beat in enough... I was wrong. The Yeti I have is quite thrashed but still performs admirably for high anhyzers and turnovers and laser straight shots when dialed down a bit. The concave top is awesome for driving with.

I agree. I'm not sure if I'll try to cycle Wizards to flippy again, or just use them till they stop fading (would be about 2 per season, I think).

I like Novas now, but who knows if that'll stick. They've gotten me 2 aces and some CTP $$ in the last 2 weeks. It's REALLY hard to argue with those results. I think a seasoned Nova will be a turnover dream.

My last consideration is the number of times I actually use turnover putter shots. It's not a lot. Do I actually need a disc in this slot? Probably no. X Comet can cover those lines when for whatever reason I need a turnover at short range, and cant throw anhyzer or a flick.

The Yeti gave me some trouble at leagues - mostly bad luck - so maybe I just convinced myself to pull that slot, use my Comet more, and pack another Wizard or Nova.

Thanks for making me think [too much] about it!

^^ For real. Every shot I've faced, I have a disc and a throw for that. I pretty much use all the discs if I'm playing a high rated / challenging course.

Most used though:putters (of course) M4, M3, F5, Roadrunner, D4

^^ For real. Every shot I've faced, I have a disc and a throw for that. I pretty much use all the discs if I'm playing a high rated / challenging course.

Most used though:putters (of course) M4, M3, F5, Roadrunner, D4

I titled my thread that from a different perspective. I'd be happy carrying 5 Wizards (which, I usually do), a bunch of Rocs and Comets, 3 or 4 each of Teebirds, Leopards, PDs and a few Roadrunners and Firebirds. They just won't quite fit...

Midrange shakeup?

Comets - Comets are great.

Rocs -
Pros:
Glidey. Great hyzer lines, anhyzer lines. Great grip. Plenty stable.
Cons:
Can't figure 'em out on slight flex/dead straight lines. Feel like crap for FH throws. DX takes longer than anticipated to season, especially when it's one of five mids. All the times I've said, "Wrong Roc."

Discraft Mids (Wasp, Buzzz, Buzzz SS):
Pros:
Fast. Great for FH. Distinct roles for each mold. Consistent flattop feel.
Cons:
Not as much glide, not good for form checks. Don't care to cycle them. Z plastic isn't great when wet - though it's not that bad when compared to Opto/Proton/400 series.

Yesterday at Hudson Mills I had some disappointing Roc shots. There was a 300' hole that I parked with my Envy, but couldn't get a KC Roc there. I have a hard time getting them to flex out of annies and throwing them FH.

Today I took my Dc mids for a spin. I played Burchfield Short/Long and I didn't have much, if any, need for midranges. It was all Driver>Putter or Driver>Driver>Putter. I threw my Buzzz SS once off the tee and forgot how much I love that flight. A little turn and a little fight. I threw my Buzzz once, snapped the crap out of it into a light head wind and it didn't do more than stand up to flat and fly 50' past where I wanted. I wasn't even mad.

As I'm pushing putters out to 250' on the course, I'm not seeing my Rocs go much farther, unless I have some height and hyzer line. I feel like my Mids shoudl be pushing 300/310'. I just don't have much confidence shaping lines that distance w/Rocs. I reach for my Leopard and Eagle, which can just as easily get me 320-340'.

One of the issues might be that my Rocs are all 180g. and my Dc mids are 175. I notice that 5g of difference on my drivers, I really prefer them at 170 and not 175. The other major difference is the rim - Rocs are slanted and Dc are pretty flat. I really love the Rocs for 250-270' hyzers but I need more versatility from my Mids. The FH thing is probably my biggest draw back to the DC mids.

I'll keep Discraft for the week and see how things go.

177+ Z Wasp
175-176 Z Buzzz, 10yr edition
175-176 Z Buzzz SS
177+ ESP Comet, production run
177+ X Comet

Played our annual 2-disc round at singles' league. Eraser Wizard and DX Teebird. It was raining on an off.

I had a couple bad holes, but for the most part shot better than I normally do. I out drove a few holes, much to my surprise. I had a couple 250' drives with my Wizard and hit 350 a few times with my Teebird. One of those times was on a 290' hole... wherps! The other two times made for easy par on the 2 long bomb holes on the course.

This is pretty much where I want to be with form and distance. I think I got off a plateau with some added shoulder rotation. I'm bringing my left arm forward for a better follow through, and it's making my shoulders work as a unit, rather than throwing with just my right shoulder.

As for my midrange issues, I threw a mids only round and was getting great results from my Buzzz, a bit less distance but nice line shaping from my Wasp and Buzzz SS. I'm considering boiling it down farther and trying Wasp/Buzzz/Meteor. The meteor didn't work for me before, but I was using it for 230-260, I think it will act understable for longer distances w/o being as sensitive as a Comet.

I picked up a couple Meteors with my 6th place $cashfakemoney$ on Saturday. I've tried to use it for some shots that it's not the right choice for, and those shots went poorly. I've also nailed some really nice drives, second drives, placements and (short) flicks with it. I took the Buzzz SS out. I think it plays really nice with my Comets, surprisingly. The Meteor is stable at low speed, where Comets are more or less the same.

I also picked up a pretty blue Comet with a shattered emerald lookin stamp. It's probably the most [over]stable Comet I've thrown, moreso than my 3rd run LE ESP. I like it but IDK how/if it fits in the bag yet.

Putters: Wizarrrrrds, Nova, Envy
Mids: Wasp, Buzzz, Meteor, Comet x2
Fairway: Champ Eagle X, Pro Leo, DX Leo
Firebirds: Yes, two of them. One is flat and one is not.
Drivers: C-PD, S-PD, P-PD, worn low PLH Viking, Roadrunner

Meteor is great! It's taking over a lot of what I used to do with Leopards. It's very nose/height sensitive. Well, the disc isn't, but the flight is. On higher shots it will NOT turnover, on low line shots it does so beautifully.

Buzzzes are flying great for me. Doing some Buzzz things that I couldn't make work with Rocs - 300-320' anhyzers that swept out to land flat is a good example. I've been changing my approach on a lot of tricky holes to be "Buzzz > Wizard" or "Buzzz > Wasp" and making 3's instead of 4 or worse with drivers.
I'm carrying a 175-176 stickered 10yr Z and a 173-174 CFR Z. The slightly lighter one has a nice glide portion to the later part of its flight before a kinda quick fade. The 10yr holds more definite hyzers.

Using my Nova for most approach shots, running chains from 150 or so with a nice weight shift putt/throw hybrid. It's a good way to handle that shot without having my usual 70/200 issue: when faced with a 150' shot I can only throw 70' or 200', but nothing in between.

I put a couple Trespasses in and... they are faster. I like how they fly, but IDK if they're an advantage for me. I'm just so used to throwing 1.9cm rims and nothing wider. On the 400'+ holes I was throwing Buzzzes, Leopards, PDs off the tee just to ensure placement. I think I would also like to try my Crank. I know I can get by fine w/o a DD, so no big deal. If I'm not feelin' it I won't use it.

And I lost my Eagle to the Grand River. :( Seems like whatever is in that slot is in danger, due to hole 18 on River's Edge. Using the C-PD for that slot now, powers down nicely.

I played a round with a test config bag - basically the bag I would like to get to, or close to it. More of the classic Innova Pro setup with a range of mids, slow controlable fairways and then a big jump to max D drivers with some utility discs mixed in. All I'm missing now is the 500' form!

Putters: No changes here.
Wizard SSS x2 for putts
Wizard Eraser for ups n drives
Nova for ups n drives
Envy for ups n flicks n drives

Mids: Still got the DC setup, one change:
Wasp Z for flicks, fade and wind
Buzzz Z 10yr for straight-to-fade and some flicks
Buzzz Z BigZ - new. a little puff in the shoulder but not domey. This guy seems as HSS as the 10yr but almost no fade. Just a joy to carve lines with! Holds great annys and hyzers but it's the low lasers that always surprise me.
Meteor Glo Z hyzerflips and turnovers, the easiest of my mids to get out to 300'
Comet ESP tailwind drives, straight glide, long annies that won't try to fight out like the Meteor
Comet X touch shots

Fairways: Classics
Teebird JL Champ reliable but not too o/s - hyzers, flicks, anny flex lines
Teebird Star older and buttery - go-to TB
Teebird GStar I picked up two of these and left one in a field yesterday with no ink. I'm hoping the second one is as glidey as the first! Just a touch of turn and late fade, my "distance TB"
Leopard GStar flatter and faster like the older runs of star/pro Leos for long right-drifting drives with a late fade if they still have air under them.
Leopard DX utility disc for turnovers/rollers/uphill/etc

Utility
Firebird Champ FAF for FH rollers, thumbers, short BH and FH shots
Firebird Champ normal dome for normal Firebird things
Roadrunner Star there are a few holes where this guy just has the right mix of turn and speed to get the job done

Distance - where the "ideal" part comes in. Teebirds go far enough that I don't see much of any distance gains from control drivers, excepting for those that are less stable, but even then Leopards go really far too. So I'm trying some of the low profile 12 speeds that feel like 11 speed DDs. They feel good in my hand and I DO see significant (30-50') distance gains with them.
Trespass Bio, but pretty much lava/sparkle opto more than anything - pretty stable, won't turn out of hyzers, but can't pull it flat into a headwind either.
Trespass Bio, more GL than Opto - has some turn and late fade with tons of glide. Still has some flashing, so I'm curious about how much turn it'll have as I'm already hyzerflipping it.
Tern Star - Pretty much the easiest distance I've gotten. I get a smooth turn with a strong hyzer release (parked a 370' hole up a big ol' hill this weekend with ease) and when I got worn down yesterday playing 2 straight rounds, I was still able to get good D on a 60% flat, smooth throw.

Putta's
Wizards 2x SSS for putts. 1x Eraser (SS) for ups and drives (ace disc!)
Nova for long runs and straight shots. Use this guy a LOT (ace disc!)
Envy cuz I like the speed, clean release and mild fight/fade.
Zone for short utility shots ever since I started flicking my Firebird too far.

Comets: Comets get their own category now.
ESP (production run, flatish) for 230 straight, 250+ turnover, short laser flicks and those awesome beat Roc lines that flip up and glide right late. Getting to the 8/10 stage.
X Comet for 150 straight, 180+ turnover, utility shots that need glide.

Middies
Glow Z Meteor... I wouldn't call it understable exactly, but it holds buttery annies.
Big Z Buzzz. So neutral out of the box. I like some beefy Buzzzes, but I throw this guy the most.
10yr Z Buzzz. Speaking of beefy buzzzes...
Z Wasp. A flat one. 200' flicks, fh rollers, some BH on Buzzz lines that need more fade. Can't wait to replace this with a LE CryZtal FLX Sparkle Buzzz OS GT.

Fairways
Fairway Driver Jackal FD F2 3rd run Champion C-Line. Crazy u/s. Flips more than my S-Line and most of my Leopards. I got 3, but I haven't checked if they're all like this. Really nice annies and hyzer flips and crank-on-it turnovers.
Fairway Driver Jackal FD S-Line in star plastic. I've been using this guy on and off since they first came out. I threw it once today and I hit a tree, but it kicked me back onto the fairway, so we're cool. For now.
Z Stalker. God, I used to hate Stalkers. Glideless one trick pony discs. Totally inferior. Sold 'em all except my PDGA one. Then I see these dudes throwing nice glidey neutral shapable shots with... Stalkers? No way!
Curiosity got the best of me and I picked up a couple in Z. I picked ones with dome, one 175-176 and one 167-169. The lighter one is more stable. I chained out on an ace with the heavier one today. So we're cool. For now.

Mostly I'm just not throwing Teebirds because of my:

MF'ing Control Drivers:
PDs! The one and only faster Teebird. P, S and C up in this bag. The P is finally in a state where it's a longer Buzzz more than a longer TB. The S is my stable distance driver BH and FH while the C mostly gets powered down to shape lines.
Roadrunner. 167 star. Because PPDs don't get THAT flippy all THAT fast. I've actually taken to flicking this guy lately. Trying to keep that FH clean like Koling.
Firebird. 175 star with some dome. MOST of my flicks, FH rollers, thumbers.

Distance
Tern Champ 171 - stable Tern, bit of turn, some fade. Easy for me to get 340-350 when I'm worn down. Not fully integrated into my game. I've been playing Hudson Mills a lot lately and if you show me one of the early 350-400' holes, I'm throwing a Stalker cuz it's gonna be a 3 either way, and I'd rather be on the darn fairway.
Tern Star 167 - less stable Tern. I don't know this one well. Most of my shots with it are thrown with midrange power and flat, and I get fairway driver distance. Same as the other, not really integrated into my game. I like that they take up space in my bag where I would just put other discs and confuse myself more on what to throw.

Holy crap - a whole month went by and I don't have a whole new bag:

Leopards are back in. Woo, Leonards! Pro and DX

Terns are shelved. Very fun to throw, but aren't saving me any strokes.

Added a gummy EVO Wizard from that place that advertises on this site. Very slow and very overstable. Great for shots I can over shoot with a base plastic wizard.

Testing out a Mantis. Production run. Out of the box it's flying like a seasoned PPD with more glide. I'm getting good distance out of it with a (so far) reliable fade. Everyone seemed to want a Discraft Teebird/Eagle, but I dunno why they're sad to get a Discraft Valkyrie instead.

Added a Buzzz OS. Are overstable mids pointless? Probably. It's better for FH than my Wasp and is gonna be awesome on windy days.

I like my bag set up. Some I only use a few couple times a round, but It's good to have it all when you need it. Certain times I'll use the same mid over and over, or may have a total variety. Just depends on the conditions and the shot. I rep my sig proud.

Picked up some shiny new pretties today at the throw shop.

171 G-PD - Firmest of the bunch, purple and super pearled.
177+ Comet - Orange/yellow stamp, good lookin dome. Should be nice 'n' stable.
171 Nova - orange with a swirly tan rim. Good backup or for winter use when my white plated one gets put up.
FD2, forget the weight, but crystal clear champ. Some of them were kinda cloudy and shoddy looking, but this guy was a beaut.

I should be able to give 'em all a good airing out in about three weeks when my big broken toe heals. ;_;

Latest posts