• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can we cut the #growthesport thing already?

numbernine

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
All it seems to mean is "Hey, I'm making an unpopular decision about a course or tournament, so don't argue with me about this thing". I wish it meant "hey, how about picking up some trash or come out to a work day?".

In fact "grow the sport" has become a meme among our friend group. We yell it anytime someone throws a bad shot .

Sure, it's a minor thing. But it really is hilarious now.

Well, as with all good marketing, it's become campy and oft repeated. But then, I'm not much for marketing. And I don't do memes either. Guess I'm just too old.

I really wish i knew what it meant. If someone could explain it to me I could get on board, but right now just looks like self gratification, hey i designed a $hiyyT course look at me #growthesport, I just helped on cleanup day #growthesport. I just complained on facebook about some stupid rule #growthesport. I complain about payouts #growthesport, i complain about players pack #growthesport.

I saw something on facebook today with a guy got an ace and recorded it and hashtagged it #SCTop10 #growthesport. All i could do was chuckle and vomit in my mouth at the same time. The last thing we need is a hucker in a tank top with crappy video on sportscenter

Okay, off the cuff aside. Companies use marketing gimmicks and strategies like this all the time. They use them cause long term statistical measurements on their impact shows them to be highly successful. Of course, I don't know how modern social media impacts such things.

I have a friend who teaches regulation to postgraduate students at Rice University. A disaster if ever there was one. She suggests that sunshine, ie discussion and information, really makes regulations better. If you can write in something that favors you or your donors, that no one sees, good enough. If it gets put online as a matter of course, then that's harder to do. The point being that online discussions, like this one, make it harder to sell bs.

The truth is that this mantra simply takes advantage of our sport's culture. It is what we are. I've done lots of work in different sports arenas as a volunteer. Mostly youth sports. I've never seen anything like what I see in this sport. So, set the PDGA and this slogan aside. Pat yourselves on the back. Color me impressed with my fellow disc golfers.

I really believe it comes down to a lot of people trying to legitimize a hobby. An addictive hobby but a hobby none the less. There are literally dozens of people making a living off of this hobby.

If you are one of those dozens; high five and congrats on doing something you love and getting paid.

Now it seems to be used in the context of sarcasm just as much as it means doing something "positive" for the sport. With "positive" being a wide range of personal opinions.

I really believe it comes down to a lot of people trying to legitimize a hobby. An addictive hobby but a hobby none the less. There are literally dozens of people making a living off of this hobby.

If you are one of those dozens; high five and congrats on doing something you love and getting paid.

Dozens? Innova, Discraft, DD, MVP, etc are run by robots?

What a world we live in!

Dozens? Innova, Discraft, DD, MVP, etc are run by robots?

What a world we live in!

How many employees do each of those manufacturers have? if i say 500 people, that is also 41.66 dozen people, so yeah dozens. i can't imagine out of the manufactures there are more than 1000 employees total. So i will give you maybe 10 hundred, but not going hundreds. Or 83.33 dozen which is also dozens.

its a great world now get out there and #growthesport

Isn't #growthesport a marketing thing from DD to help them sell ish?

How many employees do each of those manufacturers have? if i say 500 people, that is also 41.66 dozen people, so yeah dozens. i can't imagine out of the manufactures there are more than 1000 employees total. So i will give you maybe 10 hundred, but not going hundreds. Or 83.33 dozen which is also dozens.

its a great world now get out there and #growthesport

Plenty of retailers out there as well.

While the numbers aren't comparable to other major sports and activities, I'd say there are far more people making a living from disc golf than most people realize.

Plenty of retailers out there as well.

While the numbers aren't comparable to other major sports and activities, I'd say there are far more people making a living from disc golf than most people realize.

i understand that but those retailers aren't employing dozens of people, if they are then they won't last long. Out of the sponsors on this site that are also retailers, how many employees do you think they have, 1 maybe 2? i would be willing to bet some of them are a 1 man show. I am also willing to eat crow if i am wrong.

Its why brick and mortar stores don't normally last long, too many other options out there. I try to buy a disc from my local shop once a week out of pure support and btw he is a one man show with some help on the side.

I logged in just to say how much I appreciate this post. My group of friends uses grow the sport as a joke now too, but I have yet to use it on a bad shot. That changes today.

#growthesportorelse

Yeah, I feel #growthesport is just I don't want to feel embarrassed telling people I play disc golf. Or for the businesses/pros to try to drum up more money.

My new slogan is "Get on Par with Bowling"

Latest posts