• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can we cut the #growthesport thing already?

Like most trends, there is a life expectancy that follows a similar model to product life cycles...

> Introduction (innovators)
> Growth (early adopters)
> Maturity (early majority)
> Decline (laggards)
> Elimination (no one cares anymore)

From a personal perspective, this thread is the first time that I've ever heard #growthesport, but I don't have time to waste on mainstream social media outlets (FB, Twit, etc.) So, it is not surprising that trends are born and die before I hear of them...

The responses in this thread indicate (to me) that the trend is on the decline. Once the trend becomes a parody of itself, it is just a matter of time until it is eliminated and another trend takes its place.

This trend will likely die as soon as a shiny new trend comes along. When it does, the lemmings will have another bandwagon to jump on and ride until it is no longer cool to ride. At that point, they'll hop on the next bandwagon.

As far as actually growing the sport, I think that's a discussion for another thread. I doubt we'll ever see the disc golf community unified on this idea because the sport/game/hobby attracts a variety of people from different social and economic backgrounds, which is actually the genesis of the difference of opinion. Until then, #growthesport...

Sport, hobby, whatever you want to call it. Will an infusion of money increase your enjoyment of the sport/hobby?

How many decades (or centuries) did it take golf to make it big? I figure disc golf's only 50 years old, being very generous. All things considered, our awesome hobbysport is growing just fine.

I've been exposed to #growthesport only in reference to local players helping or showing new players the game or when installing a new course, etc. Haven't really seen the other side of it apparently. hmm...

All it seems to mean is "Hey, I'm making an unpopular decision about a course or tournament, so don't argue with me about this thing". I wish it meant "hey, how about picking up some trash or come out to a work day?".

In fact "grow the sport" has become a meme among our friend group. We yell it anytime someone throws a bad shot .

Sure, it's a minor thing. But it really is hilarious now.

Sure, people will stop using it as soon as online trolls stop sh*tting on the people actually putting in work just to score cheap interweb pointz.

This thread has to be the dumbest thing I've seen on DGCR in a long time. People absolutely use that hashtag for cleanup efforts, along with teaching kids to play, showing camaraderie with the deaf community, building new courses so more communities all around the world can enjoy what we all love, etc.

The sport has, is and will continue growing. When I joined this site, it said "Over 2000 courses" and now...... what does it say? Over 5000 courses? I remember when Texas had 180 courses, and now it is approaching 400. California has always been right behind Texas as far as total number of courses. The number of disc making companies has also grown. The number of high quality private courses that are listed and playable have also increased. Most of these increases are over 100%.

Sure, people will stop using it as soon as online trolls stop sh*tting on the people actually putting in work just to score cheap interweb pointz.

Will they?

This thread has to be the dumbest thing I've seen on DGCR in a long time.
Is it?

People absolutely use that hashtag for cleanup efforts, along with teaching kids to play, showing camaraderie with the deaf community, building new courses so more communities all around the world can enjoy what we all love, etc.

And it's been co-opted by people that are using the stupid hashtag as a shield against criticism regarding their ridiculous decisions.

And it's been co-opted by people that are using the stupid hashtag as a shield against criticism regarding their ridiculous decisions.

Just because one dude in your local area does it =/= co-opted on a large scale. The hashtag is international and has been in use for a while. IMO you're committing the fallacy of unwarranted extrapolation, and by doing so you're (presumably inadvertently) sh*tting on people's genuine efforts to share the love and community of disc golf.

I'm going to continue to use #growthesport as a mantra and hashtag, because spreading positive messages on social media is what the sport (and social media in general) needs more of.

it still is a terrible hashtag. #GrowDiscGolf(Sports?) would be better. Other sports use the same hashtag.

PM for my con$ulting check.

Tournaments sell out faster than major concerts these days. What ever happened to my little cult sport? #slowthesport. Oh but I like the explosion of new courses. #growthesport. I'm so confused:confused:

it still is a terrible hashtag. #GrowDiscGolf(Sports?) would be better. Other sports use the same hashtag.

PM for my con$ulting check.

You just "consulted" that we swap out a more used hashtag for a less used one. :doh: Why do you think you should get paid for that? :popcorn::popcorn:

Part of the point is to reach outside of people that know what disc golf is. It's to show that there's a grassroots community aspect to this, a vibe that we're all in it together...that attracts people as much as the flight of the disc itself.

If you create an insulated hashtag that requires you to find the sport first, then get involved in growth efforts instead of allowing for the other way around, you've just made social media less effective.

Where's my check for consulting your consulting skills? :p:p

If #growthesport means increasing people's awareness of the sport/hobby and then, in various ways, increasing their participation in the sport/hobby, then there's going to be "for profit" moments that may intersect with this increase in participation.

I played in my first tournament this past weekend. Yesterday, I used my ace pot winnings to buy three new putters. I am now one of those people who can more efficiently practice putting because I have four of the mold I use for putting. Since I was buying discs, I went ahead and bought 2 more discs because if the number of discs you have is "n" then the number you need in a given moment is always at least "n + 1." Hmmm, perhaps a new EMAC Truth is also needed now that I think about it.

Will I play more tournaments? I don't know. Probably as the sched allows but I'm not doing a tour of weekend regional tourneys anytime soon. But on this date in 2015, I had 3 discs. So I now have more of the same putter mold than total discs I had then. 1 of my first 3 discs was given to me. My next three discs were given to me from the "I don't use these" stash in a friend's truck. Last week, I gave away my first disc from my "I don't use these" stash. So that's #growthesport, but it was also what people simply did long before #growthesport was branded.

I don't think the person who invited me to the tournament -- "hey, you should play this tournament" -- was motivated by #growthesport. He extended an invitation, I thought "why not?", and now I'm thinking about buying a practice basket because I now have these putters so I obviously need a basket to obviously, no doubt.

As for sport v hobby: It's a hobby for me, and every now and again I enter a "sporting competition" as part of the hobby.

I'm going to continue to use #growthesport as a mantra and hashtag, because spreading positive messages on social media is what the sport (and social media in general) needs more of.

Why does the sport need more of this?

These generalities absent any justification are exactly what spawns the concerns being discussed in this thread.

(Footnoting the rather obvious reality that "the sport" or "social media" are not animate; i.e., have no needs whatsoever. People have needs, so whose needs are served when we talk about "the sport"?)