• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Can you say "Dominator"?

I won one at a tournament and it's not a bad disc. I'm not a fan of the rim. Far too wide and just not comfortable. Once one of these worked in it could turn out to be a really good disc. I did throw a first run that felt like it a bit more turn vs the most recent one I have.

I had a Kansas city open blizzard 150g and that thing was a fliptastic turd. However I heard that they revamped the profile to something useable. I got a proto star first run as part of a trade on the way.

I had a Kansas city open blizzard 150g and that thing was a fliptastic turd. However I heard that they revamped the profile to something useable. I got a proto star first run as part of a trade on the way.

The Blizzturd Dominators were totally different. You had to throw those on a deep hyzer in order to keep them from turning into a roller on a 350'+ throw. The protostar Champs will take a flat rip of 450' power and just do a big S curve. If you've got a big arm they're capable of pretty darn straight flights, but like any high speed driver, they fade hard if you throw them too high, get them nose up, or underpower them.

Dominator

OK, time to update an OOOLLLDDD thread here. I hadn't seen or thrown a Dominator in years. Today I took a champion 167g to the field with some other drivers to see how it compares. My past experiences with the Dominator have been very limited, and to this point I didn't like the mold much.

The disc itself has a weird look. Blunt rim. I can't really explain it, but the Dominator has a way different hand feel than the Boss.

I felt that the disc wasn't bad. It performed pretty much as the numbers (13, 5, -1, 2) dictated. The Dominator does fly a little sluggishly though. I had to absolutely MASH on this thing to get it to perform. Any throw I didn't put 100% on seemed to fly slow and die out prematurely. Once you get the disc turned, it'll hold it. The Dominator flies a nice S curve and fades elegantly. Its a "productive" fade. By that I mean the disc gains good late distance while fading. Much mellower fade than a Boss or Destroyer. I'd say that was probably the Dominator's best attribute.

Top distance was right at 450'. I couldn't do that distance consistently, but I had a couple throws that impressed me.

Overall, the Dominator is fairly ordinary. I liked it OK, but it doesn't stand out among an already super crowded group of similar drivers from Innova. The Dominator flies like a Colossus, Boss, Destroyer, Teedevil, Firestorm, you name it. I feel like the Colossus is easier to flex out and throw further with. I can see why the Dominator was never popular. It doesn't do anything different/unique from the discs mentioned above. I like the mold OK, but if Innova discontinued it I don't think anyone would be super upset.

Lastly, the Dominator is not a beginner friendly disc. I had to throw the thing HARD to make it turn or perform. Any throw I didn't put enough on would stall out and look super weak. Its either all on or all off with the Dominator. Nothing in between.

G* Dominator

I didn't even know the Dominator came in G* plastic, but I happened upon one and just had to try it. Now, usually when you throw G* it's a little flippier and glidier than other plastics.

Not the case here.

This G* Dominator I threw today (170g) flat out sucked. Really flat, glideless, and beefy. It flew something like 13, 4, 0, 3. No life to it. Just a limp turd of a disc. Max distance was a smidge under 400'. Way too much hard, early fade for the disc to penetrate impressively.

I know few people will read this or care, but I'm just surprised how bad the G* Dominator was. I was expecting way more glide, turn, and distance.

Garbage disc. Flies so slow due to the blunt rim. Speed 13? More like speed 9. Just flush this turd, should be OOP if it isn't already.

Garbage disc. Flies so slow due to the blunt rim. Speed 13? More like speed 9. Just flush this turd, should be OOP if it isn't already.

I agree. I've thrown like 5 Dominators. 1 of them was marginally decent, and the rest sucked.

I think Innova was trying to make a Boss with less fade. They failed. The Dominator is so damn sluggish and short. Not a fun disc to throw.

Never thrown a disc that seemed to go so fast and end up so short. Think they made some heavy blizzard ones maybe? Dave D has a fondness for the bullet shaped wing profiles, IIRC, starting with the Viking.

Never thrown a disc that seemed to go so fast and end up so short. Think they made some heavy blizzard ones maybe? Dave D has a fondness for the bullet shaped wing profiles, IIRC, starting with the Viking.

Yeah, the first Dominator I ever found (in a lake) was a 168g blizzard. Horrible disc. It didn't glide, didn't turn, and had a super dumpy fade.