• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canadian National Championships

Eman

Checking U disc and Canadian Nationals is off to quite a start. Bell and Gilbert are the only players under par, with their 4 under rounds being 1055. If that holds true and is not an anomaly from a week field and new layout, it would probably make the new pro layout at Hillcrest Farm the hardest/ one of the hardest courses in the world (for context, 4 under was 1042 at Northwoods this year).

Does anyone know if anyone is doing coverage for it?

Also, I saw something about discmania sponsoring a tournament at Hillcrest. Does anyone know anything about that? Are they just buying naming rights to next year's Canadian Nationals, or are they trying to add a pro tour stop at Hillcrest?

Last edited:
Hey looks like it's a championship layout at hillcrest... also looks like Chris Hartmann is leading grand masters... go Chris!! Bunch of other local legends are following fairly close behind. It's always good to see friends doing well

How the heck is the course playing so differently between round 1 and round 2? :confused:
Round 1 scoring average is +13.91, Round 2 scoring average is -.51 (this number could change a bit as there are still a few players on the course)

Round 1 hole #15 scoring average +.43 (12% birdie, 45% par, 45% bogey or worse)
Round 2 hole #15 scoring average +1.97 (0% birdie, 0% par, 33% bogey, 47% double bogey or worse)

Round 1 hole #18 scoring average +1.61 (17% par, 38% bogey, 45% double or worse)
Round 2 hole #18 scoring average -.42 (8% eagle, 39% birdie, 44% par, 5% bogey or worse)

It doesn't look like hole distances changed. What gives?

How the heck is the course playing so differently between round 1 and round 2? :confused:
Round 1 scoring average is +13.91; Round 2 scoring average is -.51 (this number could change a bit as there are still a few players on the course)

Round 1 hole #15 scoring average +.43 (12% birdie, 45% par, 45% bogey or worse)
Round 2 hole #15 scoring average +1.97 (0% birdie, 0% par, 33% bogey, 47% double bogey or worse)

Round 1 hole #18 scoring average +1.61 (17% par, 38% bogey, 45% double or worse)
Round 2 hole #18 scoring average -.42 (8% eagle, 39% birdie, 44% par, 5% bogey or worse)

It doesn't look like hole distances changed. What gives?

UDisc is messed up. It thinks all three days are on Hillcrest, so it is showing the hole scoring from today as if it's on hillcrest farms. In reality, rounds 1 & 3 are on Hillcrest, and round 2 today was on another course (Rose Valley). This is allso why all the total scores for the players are wrong. UDisc has Gilbert leading at 16 under when he is 11 under. They have the correct total strokes for him (116), but since Rose valley is a par 61 to Hillcrest's par 66, they credit him five extra strokes under par.

UDisc is messed up. It thinks all three days are on Hillcrest, so it is showing the hole scoring from today as if it's on hillcrest farms. In reality, rounds 1 & 3 are on Hillcrest, and round 2 today was on another course (Rose Valley). This is allso why all the total scores for the players are wrong. UDisc has Gilbert leading at 16 under when he is 11 under. They have the correct total strokes for him (116), but since Rose valley is a par 61 to Hillcrest's par 66, they credit him five extra strokes under par.

OK, thanks! :clap:
Since the scoring average on some holes went down and some went up from round 1 to round 2 I figured it was probably a different course.

Checking U disc and Canadian Nationals is off to quite a start. Bell and Gilbert are the only players under par, with their 4 under rounds being 1055. If that holds true and is not an anomaly from a week field and new layout, it would probably make the new pro layout at Hillcrest Farm the hardest/ one of the hardest courses in the world (for context, 4 under was 1042 at Northwoods this year).

Does anyone know if anyone is doing coverage for it?

Also, I saw something about discmania sponsoring a tournament at Hillcrest. Does anyone know anything about that? Are they just buying naming rights to next year's Canadian Nationals, or are they trying to add a pro tour stop at Hillcrest?

GK Pro is covering both MPO and FPO.

Discmania has a 3 year deal on naming rights for a future mid-Sept event on PEI (CDN Nationals is in Thunder Bay, ON next year). The name isn't the big news, the $$$ being put up will make this event definitely on of the richest on tour and the largest outside of the US. This year CDN Nationals purse is apparently larger than the European Open.

This group bid for 2024 Pro Worlds and lost out. So they signed a big deal with Discmania instead.

If you haven't been to this event, it really is a BUCKETLIST location. The province of Prince Edward Island is Canada's vacation capital. Recommend you rent a beach house on the ocean about 10 mins from Hillcrest and kick back for an amazing week. Most arrive on Monday and leave Sunday, such a fun fun week.

Last edited:
Aren't they still in the biding process for 2024 worlds? I didn't realize they had already started narrowing it down.

Aren't they still in the biding process for 2024 worlds? I didn't realize they had already started narrowing it down.

Good point. It would have been 2023 they failed to win.

Last edited:
Hey looks like Graham Garlick from Pender Island won MP50, he just beat out Chris by a stroke.. Another nice guy and a hell of a golfer!

I have been watching the GK Pro coverage of the event over the last few days and the Hillcrest Farms course quite possibly impresses me more than any other course I have ever seen on video without having been there.

Hillcrest really is an incredible course. Unfortunately, the Island got hit very hard by a hurricane in late Sept/early Oct. Hillcrest will never look the same :(
A few other courses on the island are pretty much gone for good. Very sad situation for a budding disc golf community.

As for the first round of nationals, I wasn't there, but heard that it rained pretty hard, seemingly out of nowhere, and that affected a bulk of the scores. Couple that with it being a new "gold" layout, weaker field, and voila, super sh*tty scores.

Hillcrest really is an incredible course. Unfortunately, the Island got hit very hard by a hurricane in late Sept/early Oct. Hillcrest will never look the same :(
A few other courses on the island are pretty much gone for good. Very sad situation for a budding disc golf community.

As for the first round of nationals, I wasn't there, but heard that it rained pretty hard, seemingly out of nowhere, and that affected a bulk of the scores. Couple that with it being a new "gold" layout, weaker field, and voila, super sh*tty scores.

I think it's refreshing to see winning scores closer to even par once in a while. Winning scores of -20 to -30 are far more common, but not my cup of tea.

Granted, the winning score might have been -20 or better with a stronger field.

a stronger field would have helped

but the Gold layout was no joke (I didn't play it...I played modified Blues in MP50...but did play the Gold after the tournament)

a stronger field would have helped

but the Gold layout was no joke (I didn't play it...I played modified Blues in MP50...but did play the Gold after the tournament)

1. Where the heck were all the top players???

2. Yeah, I watched all 3 rounds the past couple of days and it seemed like a tough course, very punishing if you got off the fairway.

the problem with getting the top players is timing as there are a lot of events happening around that time that create conflicts

Latest posts