• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cannot Control a Disc

Seppi

So yesterday me and my father decided to give this sport a try. More or less, it was the first time playing for both of us. We went to a local Dick's and each got a driver to start playing. Out logic was that it would be easier to make a long range disc fly shorter than to make a short range disk fly longer. We went to one of several local courses and started playing. We both had little knowledge of technique and such, so we just gave it our best shot and had a lot of fun.

When we got home I began doing some research on types of discs, types of throws, things along those lines. We went back to the course this afternoon, me thinking I would demolish my score from yesterday. I went 7 strokes farther over par...

I'm doing worse following what I read online than when I was just doing what I thought made sense. Let's start with my drive. It seems that I can throw the disc MUCH farther and with more accuracy throwing forehand than backhand. From what I hear, this should not be the case. The other thing I found out while doing my research was that we both had purchased understable discs. My understanding is that these will have a predisposition to curve to the right. Well, both of ours curve drastically to the left no matter what we do. No matter how straight my throw is, it will curve severely to the left. Heck, even if I try to curve it right it will curve very far left.
I have no idea how do control the flight of my disc. Nothing I've read online has helped in the least. In fact, it's made my game worse. The one thing the internet has helped me with is putting. I can make most putts from about ten feet or less.

So my question is, why do our understable discs curve uncontrollably to the left? And how can I get the disc to fly straight, or at least control the curve? Finally, I want to throw backhand! But forehand always turns out better for me. Thanks!

Welcome. I'm not a technique guru....

Couple of things. What discs are you throwing? Second, are you throwing right handed (RH) or left (LH)?

I'm going to start simple and go from there. Sorry in advance...

There are four main types of discs. Putters, mid-range, fairway drivers and distance drivers. You have 2 distance drivers which are not recommended for beginners.

Right-hand backhand (RHBH) and right-hand forehand (RHFH) are the two types basic types of throwing stance in this situation. See this link for a pic of what the ideal flight of these 2 discs are for a RHBH thrower. If you are throwing them RHFH the flight should be opposite of the chart. I included 2 fairway drivers (slower arm speed) that are considered by many to be excellent starter discs.

If you are new, the Valk and the Wraith are probably too fast for your skill level so you won't get the desired flight out of them that is shown on the chart.

Mind explaining what you mean by too fast? By the way, I've also tried the Leopard which is a fairway driver and I did just as bad.

Even a leopard even is too fast for a brand new player......and by too fast , we mean you have to throw a disc with certain amount of forward speed and spin to get it to fly.

Even a leopard even is too fast for a brand new player......and by too fast , we mean you have to throw a disc with certain amount of forward speed and spin to get it to fly.

So being that I'm a beginner, I'm not able to get the disc going fast enough to fly the in the way it was intended?

Our first time out I almost gave up due to 150 "left curve" shots. You have a bunch to learn and that's part of the journey and fun of the sport. Sounds like you got most part correct, you and your dad had fun. Check out a utube video called how discs fly a beginners guide. It's a little cheesy, but great info for the beginner.

So being that I'm a beginner, I'm not able to get the disc going fast enough to fly the in the way it was intended?

Correct. We are learning all ready!:hfive: I learned a ton from these forums that helped me move forward. Not that I am mr pro, but not so removed that I can't relate.

Nose is up causing the disc to stall and fade left. Bend your wrist down. Make the disc rip out of your fingers, don't just let it go.

Those disc require intermediate skill level and throwing power to perform. The will curve to the left almost always at the finish and require room to work. Mainly used only for distance shots over 300 feet.

Buy something like an Elite X Comet 170g or DX Shark 170g. Both these are neutral flyers yet can go 300+ feet as well. They have straighter finishes and offer more control.

You can throw both FH and BH, have fun.

Everyingting Hempies said plus, get a mid range and a putter. At your level they will help far more than a driver will. Accuracy is far more important than distance. And a mid and a putter will help with that. I would suggest a Comet as your mid range. Its a great disc to learn with, it won't hide any flaws in your form. It sort of forces your to learn correct form. Any putter that feels good in your hands will work. It's amazing how far you can throw them once things start to click. Welcome to this glorious sport that has taken over my life over the last 3 years!

The short answer......buy a 165-168 comet. Keep it around speed 4 on your mids. ........go over to u tube right now and watch how discs fly a beginners guide....

So for future reference, how do I know what discs will be too fast for me?

Anything that says "Maximum distance driver" or just "driver" in general stay away from until your atleast hitting 250'. There's flight ratings on many of the discs. The first number is always the speed and ranges from 1-14. 1-3 being putters, 4-5 being mid ranges, 6-7 being fairway drivers, and 8-14 distance drivers. I would steer clear of anything over a speed 7 until your hitting over 325'.

Using Innova's rating system (FWIW) each disc has a 'speed'. Putters are like 1-3, mids are 4-6, fairways are 7-8, and distance is 9-13...or something very close to that breakdown. The higher the speed of the disc, the more arm speed and 'snap' (spin) required to get the disc to fly correctly. Most newer players should stay in the 4-8 range to learn proper form and flight of the disc.

For example, many new players have discs that are too fast and they tend to 'turn and burn' meaning the disc does not get up to speed and it flies left into the ground quickly with little straight flight for a RHBH and hard right with little straight flight for a RHFH.

Now, within each class/speed of disc there are 3 main types of flight. Overstable (OS), stable/neutral, and understable (US). For a RHBH thrower that can get the disc to do what it is supposed, a OS disc finishes (fades) left, and stable/neutral disc finishes (fades) straight, and a US disc finishes (fades) right.

Then there are nuances like low speed stability (LSS) which is the tendency of a disc to turn one direction at the beginning of the flight and high speed stability (HSS) which is the tendency of a disc to turn (or fade) at the end of the flight. On the chart I linked, the LSS is the first turn in flight as it travels 50'-150' feet (+/-) and the HSS is the fade at the end of the flight.

I'm sure I've made a mistake (or several) here, but someone will chime in to correct me. Hope all that helps somewhat.

Thanks for all the help guys! I can see that I have a lot of learning to do, but I definitely have a much better understanding. That video was very helpful by the way.

Have a good one!

Using Innova's rating system (FWIW) each disc has a 'speed'. Putters are like 1-3, mids are 4-6, fairways are 7-8, and distance is 9-13...or something very close to that breakdown. The higher the speed of the disc, the more arm speed and 'snap' (spin) required to get the disc to fly correctly. Most newer players should stay in the 4-8 range to learn proper form and flight of the disc.

For example, many new players have discs that are too fast and they tend to 'turn and burn' meaning the disc does not get up to speed and it flies left into the ground quickly with little straight flight for a RHBH and hard right with little straight flight for a RHFH.

Now, within each class/speed of disc there are 3 main types of flight. Overstable (OS), stable/neutral, and understable (US). For a RHBH thrower that can get the disc to do what it is supposed, a OS disc finishes (fades) left, and stable/neutral disc finishes (fades) straight, and a US disc finishes (fades) right.

Then there are nuances like low speed stability (LSS) which is the tendency of a disc to turn one direction at the beginning of the flight and high speed stability (HSS) which is the tendency of a disc to turn (or fade) at the end of the flight. On the chart I linked, the LSS is the first turn in flight as it travels 50'-150' feet (+/-) and the HSS is the fade at the end of the flight.

I'm sure I've made a mistake (or several) here, but someone will chime in to correct me. Hope all that helps somewhat.

I think you might have HSS and LSS backwards. But I could be wrong. I thought HSS was at the start of the flight since that's when it would be moving at the highest speed.

Latest posts