• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cannot seem to Hyzer Flip

NO ONE is OAT-free... are you kidding me? I do agree with your first part though :D However, some times you need to be able to flip a stable/overstable disc that you may not have the "arm speed" to flip... Not all OAT is bad. That's all I'm trying to say.

Not saying I am, or anyone else is, OAT-free, just preaching physics theory. And, I'm well aware of inducing OAT on purpose, and it's super useful, but it's also a very advanced technique that I don't think we should try and teach someone who hasn't yet gotten standard hyzer flips down yet.

Can anybody explain the "get your body over the disc" comment? While i understand in principle, i cant understand how I could do the straight reachback, but be leaned over my disc. Once I get that, i'm ready to hit the field :D!

You shouldn't be doing a straight reach back is the thing, you should be leaned slightly over the disc, and be reaching back slightly lower because of that.

Not saying I, or anyone else, is OAT-free, just preaching physics theory. And, I'm well aware of inducing OAT on purpose, and it's super useful, but it's also a very advanced technique that I don't think we should try and teach someone who hasn't yet gotten standard hyzer flips down yet.

OK... I concede. Carry on.

Watch the flutter in this video, without slow-mo, the naked eye would have likely caught onto the disc after it stopped fluttering.

I'll get to the "get the body over the disc" here in a second.

I'm willing to bet the guy who started the thread is in a field right now hyzer flipping firechickens.:|

Haha! Nope, decided to stick around and monitor the thread for a bit longer.

All of your guys' links are awesome and will hopefully help me out. Last time I tried to practice, I just couldnt get it and was on the verge of quitting learning the H flip, but with all these tips i should be good. The the only thing that alarms me is the "hand seam" photo on the grip it and rip it instructional page. Oh well, just gotta practice I guess. (In the photo it looks like he is holding the disc perfectly horizontal in his hand with his hand also perfectly horizontal)..and my friends i have been trying for 10 minutes to contort my hand to stay horizontal with the disc horizontal but I just cannot do it. At this point, I think i'm severely overthinking...but it's about time to try and rip it.

Haha! Nope, decided to stick around and monitor the thread for a bit longer.

All of your guys' links are awesome and will hopefully help me out. Last time I tried to practice, I just couldnt get it and was on the verge of quitting learning the H flip, but with all these tips i should be good. The the only thing that alarms me is the "hand seam" photo on the grip it and rip it instructional page. Oh well, just gotta practice I guess. (In the photo it looks like he is holding the disc perfectly horizontal in his hand with his hand also perfectly horizontal)..and my friends i have been trying for 10 minutes to contort my hand to stay horizontal with the disc horizontal but I just cannot do it. At this point, I think i'm severely overthinking...but it's about time to try and rip it.

The way I teach grip:
1.Put the crease of the index finger on the bead of the rim (or where a bead would be), curl it under. Place the thumb directly over it, so you can feel half the rim on your thumb, and half is just empty flight plate (softer and looser for most discs)
2. Do not put your other fingers on yet, roll the disc back into your forearm until it's centered.
3. Hold your arm out and make sure it's still centered in the forearm.
4. Collapse your fingers onto the rim in whatever way possible, pressing against the meat of your hand.

As for planes and getting your weight over the disc, here's a .gif I just made
HyzerPlanes.gif

Notice how the red line stays bent over the disc the entire time, but you can see by the last part with the yellow lines, it's not because he's bent over with his lower body still standing straight. The whole body leans with the disc, if you were to try to stand that way, you would fall over.

For what it's worth, I mainly try H flipping my 165 Champ Roadrunner, and occasionally a 150 DX Wraith(I've been told this would be extremely easy to flip).

Some of you might tell me discs to try H flipping on, but I am a college kid with limited money to spend on plastic. The candidates i have in my bag would probably be a 172 Star Leopard, 175 Star Skeeter, and 2 165 Valks.

Maybe talk to some of your college chums and see if any of them have some very worn-to-beat lightweight DX fairway drivers. Might have some luck learning on those rather than premium plastic discs....

Maybe talk to some of your college chums and see if any of them have some very worn-to-beat lightweight DX fairway drivers. Might have some luck learning on those rather than premium plastic discs....

There are roadrunners and leopards that are nasty stable... Still, a 150 dx wraith should flip to a 5 year old.

But I've never seen a lightweight beat DX Leopard that was nasty stable.... ;)

Just returned from the field and course. Got my RR to go about 350, which is an improvement...but still not where I feel I can be. They say your toughest opponent is yourself, so I just gotta keep on trying. Btw, thanks for all the gifs and stuff mate, maybe i'll shoot a video of my form for you to see what i am doing crappily.

Sorry for the double post, but about that 350 RR shot, I think I achieved the H flip accidently. Everybody learns different, and I appreciate you guys trying to help me out.

I think my issue prior was that i was trying wayyy to hard. I was throwing a steep hyzer angle from about my left pocket and was throwing fits because I thought it would flip up and go on its own. However...I made progress today and that's all I can ask for.

Latest posts