• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canton/Medina, OH Area weekend of 10/26

tbird888

Salient Disc Test Team
I know this is short notice, but I had a blast meeting and throwing with DyeingToPlay, iacas, and All Day (not to mention Chuck, Maureen, and the gang at the Twilight Zone) at our meet in Columbus earlier in the year and was thinking about trying to do it again. Since my plans for the IDGC meet fizzled, I'd like to get in another road trip before the weather heads too far south and Canton/Medina has enough nice courses that it's first on the list.

I've played Arboretum, Deis Hill, and Lincoln Park and wouldn't mind trying some other courses in the area, but I definitely would like to revisit Arboretum to try to play a little better this time. I'm thinking a round at Portage Lakes and Roscoe Ewing might be nice since I've heard/seen good things about them, but the course list is open to anyone with an opinion.

So, anyone interested in meeting and throwing with this troll, and his dog Smokey?

Last edited:
I'd like to meet up on the 26th. I've played Arboretum but REALLY like it and would love to play it again. I've played Roscoe Ewing once but would likewise like to play it again. And Portage Lakes is on my wish list.

We'd have to start early given how dark it gets soon. I'm up for it, even if it means leaving at 5am.

Subscribed.

P.S. I'm going to have limited access to the Web until about the 14th so if I don't respond, I'm still interested.

Sounds good. Because daylight hours will be limited, I'm thinking I might drive up after work on that Friday and get a hotel to make sure traffic isn't a factor so we can be assured to get an early start.

Arboretum and Portage Lakes are both top notch and close by. Arb will probably have baskets in the longer b positions for the Hall of Chains tourney in early November. Portage Lakes is definitely worth checking out, its come a long way over the years. I'd be down to join.

Maybe we can play random draw doubles.

Mike, you can be your own team. With one throw. So we stand a chance. :)

That would be great if you joined in the fun, Mike. I was on a tight schedule the last time I was in the area so I didn't get to play another course or two like I wanted.

And iacas, he would have to throw left handed so we stand a chance! :D

I'm down for this meet up. I've only had a chance to play Arboretum, but would like another shot at it and a couple other courses in the area. Canton is a very reasonable drive from Pittsburgh. If anyone else in the area is interested we could potentially put together a car full.

Bumping this up. I'm going to be heading north after work to stay somewhere for the night so I'm up early and ready to get started. Anybody have any thoughts as to what courses people want to hit?

I've only been to the area once and I played Arboretum (recommended) and Tank Run (not as recommended). It looks like our best options would be Arboretum, Dies Hill, Portage Lakes or Lincoln Park. Most of the others in the area look like nine hole courses.

Perhaps, depending on start time, we could hit up a two course combo of Portage/Arboretum, Portage/Lincoln or Arboretum/Lincoln. Portage/Lincoln seems most viable as they aren't too far apart and are both 18. I recall being pretty worn out after 24 at Arboretum.

Portage Lakes, Oak Ledges and Arboretum are all close by. You have to be in decent shape to hit all three in a day. Portage Lakes has length & trees, and Oak Ledges is on a big hill so you do a lot of trekkin up hill. Arboretum is literally a walk in the park, the only thing that can be tiring is there are some long holes. Pins are also in the new positions, making the majority of the holes a little longer and tougher, with 3 or 4 that are actually easier. 20-24 are still original pins.

Deis Hill is a little further out but its a beautiful course and a must play if you like to rip big drives. Again its a very hilly course and most players are worn out after a single round here...I've never talked someone into coming along on days where I throw Deis twice.

Punderson is an exceptional course along the lines of Portage Lakes that's further north, not too far from p lakes but out of the way from others.

Wingfoot is a short drives from p lakes. Its not the same caliber as the main 4 though. Its a shorter, easier course designed more for rec level players. Its still fun so I thought I'd mention it.

As far as the nine holes go, Boettler in green is worthless except for putting pracrice on 9's basket. Wildwood in Louisville is a lot of fun and worth hitting up if there is time after playing the destination courses. Schneider is pretty fun but only worth a stop if its on your way, and the rough sucks there fyi. Malone is only a mile from Arboretum and will either give you huge bombs or ace runs depending on the tees you pick. Its pretty wide open and fairly plain, but lots of elevation coming into play.

Thats everything notable in the immediate area. Wildwood is the best 9 hole (Its actually a 10) and plays very quick, otherwise I'd stick to p lakes / oak ledges / arb, unless Deiss Hill looks particularly fun to you. All of the mentioned courses have videos on their dgcr pages :)

Portage Lakes is the one I'm most wanting to play as I've played Deis, Oak Ledges, and Arboretum. I like duder's suggestion of Portage/Arboretum (or Oak Ledges). Looking at Wingfoot (guessing it's The Hangar on here as that's what came up when I put in Wingfoot), it looks like it might make a nice third course if people are still wanting another round after Portage. We could also switch things up and start at Portage and end at Arboretum/Oak Ledges with an option for Wildwood instead of Wingfoot. I'm cool with either, just someone please chime in so I can make accommodations.

My thoughts for Saturday are a round at Arboretum or Oak Ledges (both are in my favorites) early and then head north to Portage Lakes and possibly Wingfoot?

I will be more than likely playing another course or two (probably some 9 holers) close to where I get a hotel on Sunday before heading home if anyone's still in town.

Mike, I got your PM and will definitely contact you. I will warn you that I'm a casual player at this point so I won't be offering much competition.

Its cool, a lot of my friends don't throw over 300', I play for fun above all.

Portage Lakes needs to be hit if you haven't played it. It is a very good course. Personally I think one wooded one open course is a nice balance, so I'd suggest Arb/Portage, especially if you never threw Arbs new pins. Nothing against Oak Ledges, thats just a lot of trees between 36 holes :) I'm down for whatever though.

I kind of like the idea of Arb/Portage, with a nine- or eighteen-hole option after that.

Deis can be… tiring, yes. We played it second after spending time at Arboretum with a newbie. Finished in the dark. Ate at an IHOP at 11:30pm. :)

FWIW my decision to go or not will depend on the weather report on Friday. It'll have to be towards the "absolutely lousy" side of the spectrum for me not to go (my wife and kid are going to meet up with a friend regardless, just later in the day if I don't go).

What's the tentative schedule and where are we meeting?

8:00 at Arboretum-Spiker?

8 at Arboretum sounds good to me. That means that the potential third course will be Wingfoot. That means I'll be able to wake up, play Wildwood and head home with maybe enough time to catch another 9 holer on the way home. :D

Oh man, wish I could make this meet. But NOOoooo, My lady friend made plans to for the Natural Bridge area in KY to celebrate my 50th. I would to get up there and bag some nice courses and meet some cool peeps, T-Bird excepted. Jk Steve. How's the dog?
Have fun guys. Looks like I will be playing mt sterling , ky course, if I'm allowed. :(

8 might be pushing it for me. I expect the drive to be between 2.25 and 2.5 hours and I just don't do all that well getting up early. I planned on leaving as close to 7 as possible. If I'm late, I could just catch up to you guys when I get there.

Latest posts