• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weekend Warrior Summer 2011

SmoothSailor

* Ace Member *
After this weekend, I've decided to go somewhere within a 4 hour drive each weekend and play at least one new course while in the area. After a few weeks, there will only be so many courses within my set distance and I will be playing repeats.

I was going to just post a new thread each week, but i figured it would be easier to put all my summer plans into one thread.

July 3: Pittsburgh, PA
Deer Lakes 10:00am
Schenley 1:00pm
Knob Hill 4:00pm
(I know I have time to play one more course or two 9 hole courses, but I don't want to be too worn to drive home after Deer Lakes and Schenley)

July 10: Medina Loop (Ohio)
Portage Lakes 10:00am
Roscoe Ewing 1:00pm
Hudson 4:00pm
(Might want to get another course in. Might hit Wingfoot before Portage, not sure.)

July 16,17: Columbus, OH
(as per roadtripstuff's advice)
Saturday:
Gordon Holton 5:00pm
Alum Creek 7:00pm

Sunday:
Glacier Ridge 9:00am
Griggs 12:00pm
Pickerington 2:00pm
Lancaster 5:00pm

July 24: Canton, OH
Dies Hill 10:00am
Arboretum-Spiker 1:00pm
Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges DGC)
Portage Lakes

July 30,31: Ann Arbor, MI
Saturday: suggestions please (arriving at 5pm)
Sunday: suggestions please (on course by 8am, leaving by 7pm)

August 7: Cleveland/Lake Erie loop
Parma 10:00am
Euclid 1:00pm
Ashtabula 4:00pm
(Might hit Hudson on the way to Parma, not sure yet.)

August 13,14: Cincinnati
Saturday: suggestions please (arriving at 6pm, time for one round before dark)
I definitely want to play Idlewild, haven't even seen pics of the new holes yet.

August 21: Pittsburgh, PA
Deer Lakes 10:00am
Knob Hill 1:00pm
Moraine 4:00pm

August 27,28: Pittsburgh
PFDO Weekend. Registered Am 2.

I'm sure this isn't the end of the list, just as far into the future as I want to try predicting right now lol. I will be updating this thread every week/weekend with where I'm going, where I've been and where I currently am. If anyone wants to meet up for a round or two or guide me around Columbus or Ann Arbor or Cincy or Dayton, or if anyone wants to lend some advice on courses to play, that'd be awesome :).

July 30,31: Ann Arbor, MI
Saturday: suggestions please (arriving at 5pm)

If you change the dates for Ann Arbor, I may meet up with you to play a round on Saturday as I have never played there before. But this weekend I will be visiting my dad and going to a Baseball game.

I will play BRATS that Saturday if you want? It looks like we have to call ahead but with this much time planned it shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, talking to my buddies from Michigan, I won't be switching the dates. There is a tournament in troy i forgot about and I'm about to sign up. The next overnight trip I can plan will be the weekend of september 24,25. I know its a ways away, my bad.

Mods, scratch the edit please.

The Ypsi/Ann Arbor area's got some great disc golf variety:

Hudson Mills x2
Rolling Hills
Independence Lake Red Hawk
Ponds of Lakeshore

All are very good to great courses, and all are nice and clean... just straight up pleasant discing.
I might be able to meet up with you - 8AM might be pushing it, but I can make it for a prompt 9:00AM day of DG.

I will play BRATS that Saturday if you want? It looks like we have to call ahead but with this much time planned it shouldn't be a problem.
I'd love to get in on that action. I can check with the course's owner to see if they can accommodate that.

The Ypsi/Ann Arbor area's got some great disc golf variety:

Hudson Mills x2
Rolling Hills
Independence Lake Red Hawk
Ponds of Lakeshore

All are very good to great courses, and all are nice and clean... just straight up pleasant discing.
I might be able to meet up with you - 8AM might be pushing it, but I can make it for a prompt 9:00AM day of DG.
I'll play a 9 hole course while I wait to meet you somewhere :).

I'd love to get in on that action. I can check with the course's owner to see if they can accommodate that.
We were planning for a different weekend until I found out there's a tournament in the area. I'm not sure if I'm playing yet or not.

I'll keep my eys on this thread and let's see what develops.
I'd love to throw a round with someone who organized a Roc vs. Buzzz tournament! :thmbup:

Actually, talking to my buddies from Michigan, I won't be switching the dates. There is a tournament in troy i forgot about and I'm about to sign up. The next overnight trip I can plan will be the weekend of september 24,25. I know its a ways away, my bad.

Mods, scratch the edit please.

Hopefully if you are planning an overnight trip for that weekend its to the Ohio Meet, ;) looks like its going to be that weekend.

As for the courses BogeyNoMore mentioned, he's not lying, all solid courses with the Independence Lake Course (Red Hawk) being one of the best I have played so far. We (BogeyNoMore and some other friends) hit up 4 out of the five he mentioned this past weekend and it was some incredible golfing. Oh and don't forget about the Black Locust Course over at Kensington as well, another solid, solid course.

I don't know if you plan on camping or what, but I stayed at some cool campground the past two times I was up there and can give you some awesome advice, PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Oh and don't forget about the Black Locust Course over at Kensington as well, another solid, solid course.

I don't know if you plan on camping or what, but I stayed at some cool campground the past two times I was up there and can give you some awesome advice, PM me if interested.

I've played Black Locust. Great golf there :).

I'll definitely send you a pm on the camping.

And sure enough that weekend is looking like the Ohio meet weekend lol.

Food recommendations please!

I'm mostly looking for pizza places since that's all I seem to be able to eat when traveling, but I would like to get some eating recommendations from folks for the different areas I'll be throwing.

Just got done with Schenley, nice warm up course. Getting a pie at Mineo's Pizza and on my way to Deer Lakes.

I see you went with mineo's over aiello's.. I hope you enjoyed your pizza though

I couldn't find aiellos on my gps and I saw mineos before anything else, still enjoying it.

I quite literally just walked in the door. Knob was cool, started getting super hot toward the end.

I played White Tees all day and ended up with:
Schenley - 57
Deer Lakes - 74
Knob Hill - 65

And I still have half a pizza :)

Aiellos is like two stores up from mineo's for future reference. I will definitely meet you on august 21. I was actually thinking of playing all three courses in the greater Pittsburgh area sometime soon.

Aiellos is like two stores up from mineo's for future reference. I will definitely meet you on august 21. I was actually thinking of playing all three courses in the greater Pittsburgh area sometime soon.

Due to being a broke joke, some of my out of town, over night trips will have to be to Pittsburgh or Cleveland, so I'm just gonna day pitt so I can practice for the PFDO.

I made a Michigan road trip last year. Hudson Mills Metro was one of the highlights of the trip, and that was in the shadow of Flip City and 11 other great courses.

Latest posts