• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Carbon Discs

TylerS

Last year I made a post on these forums asking whether or not there was any interest for discs made of Carbon Fiber. Well, I've been working on it for a while now and they're finally ready to launch. Check it out on the Kickstarter website.

The Disc Golf version of the disc will have a flexible and durable plastic edge that will have a good grip and also keep the edge safe. (no chopping off heads :D ). It will be about 10 inches across and around 175 grams. I am selling both a driver and a putter (also selling the putter as an ultimate frisbee type disc). Also, I'm aware that these discs may not be PDGA standard, but standards change ;) and either way these discs will be fun to have and they fly great.

Please let me know of any questions/suggestions/concerns you have for the discs. I am still flexible to make changes to the discs and improvements based on your feedback. Oh, and make sure to buy one!

Well at $75 a pop.. good luck.

Its gonna take some serious benefits to justify paying $75 for one disc... and it doesnt really seem to have any...other than looking cool..

Last edited:
:-( I would of wanted one, but considering I could get a bunch of other stuff for that price seems weird. You got a picture of the disc golf disc?

also how does it fly?

Last edited:
Cool video. I think the problem with Carbon Fiber is that , as you've noticed, its expensive...

Though I still think some people would buy it for the cool factor. You gotta get the disc shiny and smooth though like the carbon fiber we are used to seeing. Also it it could be grippy at the same time it would actually be useful....

I thought carbon was strong with flexing etc. but not with impacts ? I know there are different qualities, but I've seen sooo many cracked CF hoods on Hondas etc ;)

It looks very cool, but doesn't look like it would pass the flexibility test (though you only gave a slight flex in the video). Not that PDGA approval is necessarily one of the goals.

I have to agree with those above. I would likely pay up to $40 to own one for the cool factor, but $75 prices it out of my desire level.

Good luck though! I hope you hit the goal.

I thought carbon was strong with flexing etc. but not with impacts ? I know there are different qualities, but I've seen sooo many cracked CF hoods on Hondas etc ;)

It can take impacts, but eventually it will break. Look at carbon hockey sticks for example.

I worked in a composite lab at a university, and made a catch and throw disc for fun... (it looked exactly like this) what I found out was the edges are super sharp... and the bottom edges of the rim are going to get ground up with landings on asphalt and become shaaarp as hell causing hazardous carbon splinters and deposits into the hand... solution: wear really tough gloves to protect your fingers.

One of the first things I realized was that I needed a good protective edge. Those splinters are not fun!

Of course I would love to sell these discs for a lower price, but for now, based on all the costs it wouldn't be reasonable or worth it to sell them for less. In fact, I was suggested to sell the discs at $100 a piece, but that just seemed way too crazy.