• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carbon Fiber Discs

I would only be interested by a new material if it was demonstrated that discs coud be produced more consistently than they can be in plastic.

Durability is an overhyped issue. I basically never wear out Champ/Z discs, and in fact most discs fly best when at least a little beat up. I have in fact never worn out a champ disc to the point where it was unusuable, but I've given up on lots of discs that didn't fly like they were supposed to because of inconsistent manufacturing.

Don't have time to read this entire thread, but from what I know of producing parts from carbon fiber, the process is too labor intensive, and these discs would be cost prohibitive. Further, I'm not really sure CF is necessarily a superior material for this use...perhaps it's suitable, but it would have to be significantly better for people to spend $25 or so per disc on a regular basis when you can get Champ for about 1/2 that price.

id buy some carbon fiber minis, but not full sized discs

i think cf minis would be a better thing to get into than discs because almost everyone has at least 1 mini in their bag and theyre required to play in tournys. you could sell them for $20 a piece and make decent money and people woupd buy them up. metal minis are in fairly high demand and theyre $15-20 so a CF one should go for at least that. ditch the gimick disc idea and go for a carbon fiber mini and you'll win

This thread is amazingly full of misinformation, but I really liked this one. Would you care to show me the rule "requiring" a mini in tourney play? Minis would be cool though.

OP, I hope to see one of these cf discs in person. I realize that with cf you have the ability to make discs super light. which is something innova is cashing in huge on right now...

How about making a wide rimmed driver, with the rim hallow? I'll take a 50 gram nuke please.

Last edited:
Still no pics?? Mmmmmmmm idk bout this thread....... Smells fishhyy to me.. Carbon fiber discs? It just sounds like it either would go great and 2 weeks later someone gets there head chopped off or it's gonna fail epicly. But I agree with the other guys^^ I'd like some minis. And maybe I'd try a driver but it's juts sounds to expensive.

This both interests me and scares me. I wonder if there's a way to make a carbon fiber disc splinter proof? Maybe cover it with something clear that will protect it but not interfere with the CF look? It would be quite a disappointment to buy a $50 CF disc and then receive a nice trip to the emergency room, instead of that birdie you were hoping for.

Not too hard....once the product is laid up and cured, splintering is a minimum, but that does depend on what sort of c.f. is used. At any rate, I'd assume that he would use a relatively thick gel coat over the cured layup for appearance, durability, and avoiding any rough edges/splinters. The big downside to a c.f. disc in this sense is that it's a pita to touch up damaged areas (which is why I'd rather see a mid instead of a putter or driver, which no doubt see more impacts, etc).

I'm not even a carbon fiber fanboy, but it's still pretty neat and looks great when the attractive top layers are used under a clear finish. I think it'd be neat to have one...and they'd definitely make awesome trophies if nothing else.

Posting pics of a product that's not yet protected and ready to go to market = stupid, always.

There's really nothing to protect is there? I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that simply using a different material for the construction is not a protectable aspect of a product. The only thing risky is that some other guy who has a garage of c.f. molding items might get the jump on you. Right. lol.

This thread is amazingly full of misinformation, but I really liked this one. Would you care to show me the rule "requiring" a mini in tourney play? Minis would be cool though.

OP, I hope to see one of these cf discs in person. I realize that with cf you have the ability to make discs super light. which is something innova is cashing in huge on right now...

How about making a wide rimmed driver, with the rim hallow? I'll take a 50 gram nuke please.

If you go out of bounds or stuck in a tree, a mini is the only allowable marker. Everybody better have one.
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80303-marking-the-lie
B. A player is only required to mark the lie with a mini marker disc when repositioning the lie under the rules. This includes the following rules: out-of-bounds, disc above or below the playing surface, lost disc, optional rethrow, relocated for relief, interference, or repositioning the lie within 1 meter of the out-of-bounds line.

If you go out of bounds or stuck in a tree, a mini is the only allowable marker. Everybody better have one.
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80303-marking-the-lie
B. A player is only required to mark the lie with a mini marker disc when repositioning the lie under the rules. This includes the following rules: out-of-bounds, disc above or below the playing surface, lost disc, optional rethrow, relocated for relief, interference, or repositioning the lie within 1 meter of the out-of-bounds line.

Touche, I didn't think of that scenario.

I will pass on these as I am an eco-fascist and am trying to lower my carbon fiber footprint.

Its gunna take a little while for me to get my own mold built (one thats not a copy of a patented version) and then make the disks. Thanks for the feedback. From what you guys have said, I'll work on making sure it won't chip and leave sharp edges, I'm probably going to make a medium or putter, possibly some minis, oh, and I'll make sure it won't chop any heads off :D

I'm also thinking about putting in some kind of filler material around the edges to give it weight. Something that would be easy to make with what I have on hand. I work at a CF lab, so CF is no problem, but outside of CF my resources are limited. Any suggestions?

I'm also thinking about putting in some kind of filler material around the edges to give it weight. Something that would be easy to make with what I have on hand. I work at a CF lab, so CF is no problem, but outside of CF my resources are limited. Any suggestions?

Stashing minis with a twist lock design.

You guys thinking heads are going to be sliced off are ridiculous. Assuming the disc could be made legal under PDGA deflection guidelines, they're not going to be and more or less dangerous than some hard premium plastic. And there are limitations about how sharp the edge of a disc can be too, so it won't be a flying razor blade. Ever been hit with Champ/Z plastic from point blank range? I have, and I have the scar to prove it. 4 stitches in the mouth from a Z Buzzz. That could be just as lethal if the circumstances were right.

Based on what I've seen carbon fiber items sell for in other applications, it would be a downright STEAL if you could buy a CF disc for anywhere less than $50. I'm not against progression by any means, so I welcome any attempt to further the technology and equipment of our sport. That said, I can't see what carbon fiber has to offer that we would need, other than looking awesome. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea. And if they end up having something to offer other than aesthetics, I'd certainly give them a chance. But if you can make me a carbon fiber mini for $12-$20, I'd buy one for sure.

Latest posts