• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cement tees in heavily wooded areas?

DiSCRoCKeR

Bronze level trusted reviewer
Does anyone have any experience or info regarding getting cement tee pads in heavily wooded and hilly areas? Looking for the best/easiest options for getting pads into areas that may be too hard to get to with a truck.

Bobcat? Or go with paver bricks framed i with RailRoad ties.

Cement really wouldnt work the best, usually leads to a lot of turned ankles since its a lot like sand. In our area we use concrete for the teepads.

Honestly, I've wondered this many times. And it's probably the reason many of the courses around my area don't have concrete tees. Some of the courses are on trails you can't even get a four wheeler on. I personally do like paver stones. As long as they're set well, they can be really great.

I've poured a few pads with Sakrete. Lots of work as you have to haul the Sakcrete, water, wheelbarrow, mixing hoe, shovels, steel mesh, finishing tools, etc. back to the sites. It's real work!!

I've poured a few pads with Sakrete. Lots of work as you have to haul the Sakcrete, water, wheelbarrow, mixing hoe, shovels, steel mesh, finishing tools, etc. back to the sites. It's real work!!

We've poured a number of these this way on our heavily wooded courses. Some tee areas are fairly easily accessed, others, not so much. I think it takes like sixty-some 50 lb. bags to do a 4x8' tee pad. We do seem to get a better work party turn-out for the teepads as more people see the benefit of concrete. Yes, it's real work, but it sure is nice when they're done!

My suggestion:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...crete-Step-Stone-71200/100333077#.Un7JdxaMFhA

&

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Patio-Pavers

=

Great cement tees for a fairly low cost. Instead of the machine tamper you would have to get your hands on a hand tamper. You would need 60 of the bricks for a 5' x 12' tee pad and you could probably get a discount if you ordered them in pallet form. Also, you could shorten the tees down to 8' for holes 250' and less or downhill shots. My one suggestion though that the wiki article does not include is gardening weed paper. Really cheap, just lay it down before rocks to prevent weeds from growing up between your bricks.

Great feedback everyone!! Most of the tee areas we have could probably be accessed by bobcat but there are a few locations on steeper hillsides where it might be tricky getting to. I like the idea of getting a work party together with some sackcrete for those areas. Another idea the grounds guy suggested would be to pour the forms at the shop and then transport them into the locations. It will all get worked out somehow.

Georgia buggy.

PowerBuggy-Wt.jpg

Most rental places will have them. Although it will some take time to pour very many in one day. And they don't do well on soft ground.

Great feedback everyone!! Most of the tee areas we have could probably be accessed by bobcat but there are a few locations on steeper hillsides where it might be tricky getting to. I like the idea of getting a work party together with some sackcrete for those areas. Another idea the grounds guy suggested would be to pour the forms at the shop and then transport them into the locations. It will all get worked out somehow.

I don't suggest pouring these off-site, unless you're going to pour small sections and put them together on site. A 4x8 teebox in 4 pieces is going to weigh around 600 lbs./section. This is tough to work with. We've had to move a couple of tees short distances and it's no picnic on a wooded course. You will want to avoid this. Just mule the sacks and water in and pour it in place, or Gator them in if you can.

Latest posts