• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

challenger // aviars

I don't know. I clicked start and then went and did something else for a while. I didn't even look at the options:doh:.

Thanks for clearing up the bit about the plastics. I always wondered why that magnet felt floppier than the soft challengers I've had (That's a hard challenger in the picture though). I always figured it was just really weathered (I found it on the course without a name).

Magnet ftw, and I just like givin' people hard times, that is one gigantic picture though

Righteous homies.......Myers indicated the JK AVIAR was Innova's model closest to the soft challenger....and from what I can read it seems to be as well. I don't have the option of feeling discs so I am left to trust you guys... Is there an AVIAR X?

Yeah, the JK Aviar is the closest I have used. and the jk pro aviar x would be the small bead aviar, which is different from KC pro and the Aviar Driver. KC pro is the hardest plastic of those and the aviar driver in star plastic is great of the tee but not my choice as a go to putter. I used the JK aviar for a long time before I went to challengers, both are great and will be pretty similar flights as well.

And ill be honest i want a huk lab dyed jk aviar x....

and the jk pro aviar x would be the small bead aviar, which is different from KC pro and the Aviar Driver.

All three discs are big bead aviars. The JK comes in soft pro plastic. The Aviar Driver comes in star plastic. The KC Aviar comes in hard pro plastic.

I had my hands on two beadless aviars that were super soft and flexible - any theories? And, to be specific, anyone know if the JK Aviar X is going to be as soft as the soft challenger x? Mark on DGV has a "new run" of JK's and he states they are the softest yet.....

I had my hands on two beadless aviars that were super soft and flexible - any theories? And, to be specific, anyone know if the JK Aviar X is going to be as soft as the soft challenger x? Mark on DGV has a "new run" of JK's and he states they are the softest yet.....

What plastic were they?

From your picture and looking at my KC and JK aviar, I would say they are about the same size.

huh... I guess the "big bead" designation is a bit of a misnomer then?

I've only thrown aviars a couple times when I didn't have any discs and had to borrow for a round. I remember not really liking how the bottom of the rim felt and how the disc felt light even though it was max weight.

Well, the aviars' bead is probably a little bigger, but not much. I wish I had a challenger to compare now

Been throwing Challengers since I started to play consistently the last couple years. IMO, the soft x is the best. The closest Aviar equivalent I've seen is the r-pro aviar( i didn't think i saw that plastic mentioned yet)...My buddy picked one up and I would say they are a little floppier than the soft-x but seem to grab the chains and sit down the same.....if I was an aviar thrower, I would have one of the r-pro in the bag for sure.

Just a heads up, R-pro aviars are the putt & approach mold (beadless), and I'm not sure they ever molded them in the driver mold. I have felt them in the store though, and they are pretty soft and flexible, almost bought one

floppy aviars

i think you are correct the beadless sloppy floppy aviars might have been r-pro plastic - would that make sense since they had tournament stamps on them?

Just try out a Banger-GT. I used to throw Challengers, but I needed something a little straighter with less speed then Challenger. I haven't turned back since.

Been throwing Challengers since I started to play consistently the last couple years. IMO, the soft x is the best. The closest Aviar equivalent I've seen is the r-pro aviar( i didn't think i saw that plastic mentioned yet)...My buddy picked one up and I would say they are a little floppier than the soft-x but seem to grab the chains and sit down the same.....if I was an aviar thrower, I would have one of the r-pro in the bag for sure.

Did you ever try a hard x challenger? They're great for drives and approaches and decent for putts. Plus they last forever. That hard x challenger in the giant pic on page 1 was the first disc I ever bought. It has been in steady use for 6ish years. I preferred the soft x for putting when I used challengers for putting. I switched to the magnet to the APX and finally settled on the Putt'r for my putting needs.

Putter is a weird one to go with for trying stuff out, especially if you're happy with your current one. Most people buy a new driver when they get the itch.

I used to use a Magnet, then APX breifly, until I played a round with a couple of pros and stood in amazement watching them bang in 60-80 footers with a Challenger! I like the soft-X ones, but they're very easily chipped. The candy plastic Z's are more durable and possibly better for long put/approach.

Latest posts