• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champ Roc vs. Star Roc vs. Pro Roc (vs. DX)

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
The only DX plastic i carry is a Roc. i'm looking to replace it but i want to get some advice as to the differences in the plastics (not so much about the Rancho,SM, molds).

1) Is it worth the hassle of finding and buying a Champ roc vs. Star (or Pro)?
btw... when do these come out, soon i am guessing?
I've noticed that Champ rocs have a thicker flight plate than DX (havent compared a star or pro..)

2) is there much difference between the Star vs. Pro... (obviously there will be, but is it negligible enough to be slightly irrelevant.)

3) Is there one that is better as a driver than another?

For perspective, my current roc is a tad bit understable to be used as a reliable driver. i use it for any non-hazard shots (steep hills, etc) in the approach range, and i love it. i am not sure that i will replace it, but i want to try a new roc to see if i can maximize its potential.
(Current Roc - 168 Dx.... thinking about something in 170-172 Range. I really want a Champ roc, but i cant convince myself that its a better solution or worth the problems finding it.)

When you say Pro plastic, are you talking about KC Pro?

And as far as Star Roc's go, the easiest to purchase are the production San Marino Star Roc's. Rancho's in Star plastic are tough to find.

If you can find a Champ Rancho that would be the most stable. For the price I'd just pick up a KC pro Roc. They are pretty stable to start and season slower than your regular DX.

Plus there are different types of rocs too...

you have an ontario roc, rancho roc, san marino roc, roc+

then you have star roc, ching rocs, dx, champ, kc pro, r-pro, and ce(pre-champ plastic)

Then on top of that, different years of the ce roc flew differently. 02 was less stable than the 01 and 03

I'm thinking about getting a Roc, but I don't want a DX or Pro because I don't want to break it in (my main mid are comets), so what premium plastic would be closest to the flight of a new Rancho Roc?

If you want an overstable Star Roc, just get a Millenium Siruis Sentinel MF, or Quantum Sentinel MF for Champ.

The only DX plastic i carry is a Roc. i'm looking to replace it but i want to get some advice as to the differences in the plastics (not so much about the Rancho,SM, molds).

1) Is it worth the hassle of finding and buying a Champ roc vs. Star (or Pro)?
btw... when do these come out, soon i am guessing?
I've noticed that Champ rocs have a thicker flight plate than DX (havent compared a star or pro..)

2) is there much difference between the Star vs. Pro... (obviously there will be, but is it negligible enough to be slightly irrelevant.)

3) Is there one that is better as a driver than another?

For perspective, my current roc is a tad bit understable to be used as a reliable driver. i use it for any non-hazard shots (steep hills, etc) in the approach range, and i love it. i am not sure that i will replace it, but i want to try a new roc to see if i can maximize its potential.
(Current Roc - 168 Dx.... thinking about something in 170-172 Range. I really want a Champ roc, but i cant convince myself that its a better solution or worth the problems finding it.)

I have been disappointed in my premium Rocs. I've tried about 10 different ones.
The KCs are okay but I appreciate the quicker break-in period of DX.
I bought a Champ Roc to use as my overstable mid and the Champ ended up being less HSS my DX Roc.
Stars don't float my boat because of the comparatively harsh fade and lack of glide.

My relatively brief foray into non-DX Rocs has convinced me to stick with DX for several reasons.
DX is cheaper
DX appears to mold more consistently
DX breaks in faster
DX grip is better regardless of condition
DX is easy to find
DX glides better

Some of these are pros IMO. Other people might consider them cons. It all depends on your priorities.

For my priorities I decided DX is the best way to go. If your priorities are similar to mine then DX will probably suit you better.

To answer your questions:
1. No.

2. I've never thrown a Star Rancho but Champs and Pros are similar enough IMO.

3. IMO no.

Last edited:
i should have stated it in the above mentioned post...

i plan on buying an "off the shelf" current production roc (or this year's Champ Roc if i can find it.)
so my questions are about current run and "generalities" more than specifics.

In current production there are -
DX Roc
KC Pro Roc
Star San Marino Roc
Champ Roc (Soon to be released - TFR/CFR)

i wanted to get inside info about how they flew in comparison to each other more than just revisions of the web write ups.
i'm leaning on getting the Star Roc and hoping to find a Champ Roc (just because).... but maybe there is something that the Pro can do better?
(i'm looking for a driver-esque concept more than an approach as i am in search of the elusive 300' mark with mine; currently 250'+/-, beaten in, and slightly unpredictable at the max ranges *for me*; 168 Dx)

I really prefer dx rocs over all the other plastics I've tried, though I do like the KC Pros too. The whole point of a disc like the roc is it starts out as a nice slightly overstable mid, breaks in to a looong straight mid, then slowly wears into a predictable and controllable turnover mid. My longest roc throws (330ish) have been with a worn in roc, not with one that's newer and more overstable, you just have to give it a little room to work it's line rather than trying to muscle it out there.

The furthest flying Roc should be one similar to what you have, a seasoned DX one.

If you want one that'll hold it's stability better, the stiffer, harder KC plastic ones are durable and being Rancho mold they start out overstable.

Star San Marino's are my favorite overall, because they're slightly more comfortable in my hand and feel broken in right out of the box. I haven't thrown DX ones in about a year though so that could change if I tossed them.

Just got some champ rocs in a trade but haven't had a chance to throw them. If I toss one soon I can report back.

I have a Star "Flat-top" Rancho Roc that I use for my stable straight shots. Just this past week I put my DX Rancho Roc back in the bag and now I wondered why I never kept it in there. I love it. Its a little less stable than my FT Roc. I had a KC-Pro but I lost it in the drink at one of my favorite courses. I just didnt like the KC-Pro as much as my Star FT and my DX. I tried that Roc in the odd wood plastic today for the first time and it flew kinda like my DX. Its just weird seein' all those little wood-chips in the plastic....

The KC Pros are pretty close to DX and wear in a bit slower. They're worth checking out if you like DX.

I've never heard of a Roc being beat enough to not work as a driver. I'd look into that more and play around with it to see what you can do. Chances are it will be a pretty long midrange for you.

The KC Pros are pretty close to DX and wear in a bit slower. They're worth checking out if you like DX.

I've never heard of a Roc being beat enough to not work as a driver. I'd look into that more and play around with it to see what you can do. Chances are it will be a pretty long midrange for you.

I was going to see both of these.

I prefer DX Rocs for many reasons which have pretty much all been stated above, but KC Pro Rocs are nice as well. I'm currently carrying one for my overstable roc, and so far I've been very impressed by how slowly it is breaking in. I've hit some trees HARD with that Roc, but it only has a few dings and still flies very stable.

FYI, my thrashed DX Roc is probably my longest, so I don't know if you're going in the right direction looking for more distance in premium plastic. Just figured I'd mention.

I typically carry 3 Rocs at all times (11x KC, Star Ontario, Star San Marino). Virtually any approach and/or drive can be accomplished with the right Roc IMO. Cold or rainy and the DX goes in the bag. Got one of those R-Wood Ranchos and it might work it's way into my bag on really windy days. Still working on that though.

If I could only carry one Roc, it would have to be the 11x KC. It will hold any line

this entire thread just reminds me why i throw the buzzz not the roc...too many roc molds

i used to think the same until i really mastered the Roc.... and now that i have, i've found that the one trick pony nature of the buzzz ("i fly straight to a fault") can be duplicated in similar fashion with a Roc, or one of the other discs i carry. (Putter/Rhyno, Roc, TL/Leopard)
- if i was one of those guys who's bag comes with the optional wheel barrow add on, and could carry enough discs to look like an innova rep, i'd definitely carry one, but my eternal dg quest seems to be reducing the number of discs i carry, not find a way to add another one.

this entire thread just reminds me why i throw the buzzz not the roc...too many roc molds
Yep, the Rancho is the only one you need to worry about. Just because other molds are named the same doesn't take away from the greatness and consistancy in the Ranco mold.

FWIW, the KC Pro I have now (12X) started off less overstable than the new DX I have. Discspeed has said something similar about Buzzzes, that while there are variations they all fly like Buzzzes. IMO, the same can be said for KC Pro and DX Rocs.

Latest posts