• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champ Roc vs. Star Roc vs. Pro Roc (vs. DX)

I see your point, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as the people here make it out to be. I carry current, at the time I started stockpiling, run Rocs (except my Champ which I got on the cheap without having to look very hard for it), and I didn't have any harder of a time building up my stash as any other mold I carry.

Give Roc3s a chance to get even a tenth as many runs (to give the mold time to start wearing) as Ranchos have and see if you still say the same. I also have yet to find/hear of a readily available Roc3 that starts with the beef that Ranchos have. Might as well just carry a Buzzz.

Right you are, especially about the runs.

For whatever reason, I think the I-dye ones are pretty beefy. A pro buddy of mine throws Roc3/Mako3 for all mid shots and he has a orange one that has a bit of turn and less fade and then two i-dyes that have the same wear on them as the orange but they are extremely beefy.

The only Roc3s I really liked were the McPros, especially the first releases. While it was waxy, it was wonderfully stiff and grippy plastic. Sadly (for the mold), it made me try the matte KC Rancho (very similar plastic), and that sealed its fate for me! I could kick myself for all the years I hated on the Roc in favor of the Buzzz.

Sure :D

Aside from McPro (tour series plastic), the Roc3 is now widely available in most of Innova's plastic options (Dx, Champ, Star etc.) and it's easy to cover all midrange shots without getting into 11x this, 06' that, 01 CE that.

All those except the "OS" roc slot, yes, I agree. But I like the smaller diameter of the traditional Rancho. And I wasn't saying that you have to get the '06 throwback, just that if you're willing to invest in some $20 champ Rocs around USDGC time, you'll likely be able to find that "OS" durable Roc that the Roc3 never(or rarely) was. And aside from Champ, the traditional Rancho is also available in all of the plastics, even DX glow, r-pro, and other obscure shiz. They will also cover all of the shots, including the "OS" with the production KC Pro's. They just don't last as long as the Champs do in that sweet spot. So I'll go with Roc>Roc3.

I see your point, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as the people here make it out to be. I carry current, at the time I started stockpiling, run Rocs (except my Champ which I got on the cheap without having to look very hard for it), and I didn't have any harder of a time building up my stash as any other mold I carry.

Give Roc3s a chance to get even a tenth as many runs (to give the mold time to start wearing) as Ranchos have and see if you still say the same. I also have yet to find/hear of a readily available Roc3 that starts with the beef that Ranchos have. Might as well just carry a Buzzz.
For us noodle arms, the fact that the Roc3 isn't quite as beefy is a nice feature. :D That was my criticism of DX Rocs was that I had to throw a few rollers in the parking lot to get it to that sweet spot. Now, typically, a Roc3 out of the box has a bit less stability but takes less time to really adjust to my game.

For us noodle arms, the fact that the Roc3 isn't quite as beefy is a nice feature. :D That was my criticism of DX Rocs was that I had to throw a few rollers in the parking lot to get it to that sweet spot. Now, typically, a Roc3 out of the box has a bit less stability but takes less time to really adjust to my game.

I can understand that (noodle arm here too). I haven't really had much trouble knocking the fresh off a DX while continuing to work on a KC though. At this point, I have every mid slot covered except the turnover, and I have one getting there. Score another win for the Roc showing me that DX isn't garbage in every mold, just faster drivers!

I can understand that (noodle arm here too). I haven't really had much trouble knocking the fresh off a DX while continuing to work on a KC though. At this point, I have every mid slot covered except the turnover, and I have one getting there. Score another win for the Roc showing me that DX isn't garbage in every mold, just faster drivers!
My situation is similar. My worn Core is almost there. I have a DX Valkyrie in my bag at the moment. Holding the "roller" slot until my star version catches up. And, I will have you know, it only took two trees for that DX Valk to become flippy! :D

streets can you expound on your roc3 > roc comment a bit? I just switched from buzzzes and have a couple KCs in the bag along with one of those kc/mcpro hybrid discs from a couple years ago

Latest posts