• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Champion Boss

bethehole

I need help figuring out what this disc is capable of. I recently started playing dg in November and have tried a few discs, my favorite driver being the Elite XL 175g. I won a raffle at a local tournament and was the proud recipient of the Boss but can't seem to make it do anything I want. I am still acquiring my rhbh, tomahawk and the rarely played rhfh. I have heard that this disc was made for forehand types of throws and I believe it. No matter what anhyzer angle I start my throw and follow-thru with, the disc enevitably ends up leveling off very quickly and then beginning its leftward fade. How do you keep this disc level for the whole flight? I have no real skills yet throwing forehand yet so it had been just sitting in my bag for over a month....shame really as I love the better quality plastic than the DX that makes up the majority of my bag. Any help/ suggestions are much appreciated.

Im no expert, but I would say put that Boss on the shelf for awhile and work on throwing your middies until you can get them to do what you want. The boss is way understable for a noob trying to develop a BH. Do yourself a favor and let it rest until you can develop better technique and power. JMO.

The best way to get the Boss to fly right is to learn to throw >400'. The best way to do that is to not throw the Boss and focus on slower discs in lower end plastic. The XL you have is an excellent disc with which to learn.

What's happening is you aren't getting the Boss up to it's cruising speed. What will probably happen if you keep throwing it is you'll learn bad habits in an attempt to get the Boss to fly right rather than learning good habits that will allow you to throw faster discs well. I know it sounds backwards, but really the best way to learn to throw really fast discs is to not throw really fast discs...at least until you've learned to throw slower discs.

Im no expert, but I would say put that Boss on the shelf for awhile and work on throwing your middies until you can get them to do what you want. The boss is way understable for a noob trying to develop a BH. Do yourself a favor and let it rest until you can develop better technique and power. JMO.

Isn't the Boss overstable? Either way... I agree... it is too much disk for a new player. I have played for almost 2 years now and am just getting to the point where I can handle a disk like the Boss and even then it isn't consistent enough to rely on. You will be able to throw this disk once you have developed your technique more.

if you're a new player, don't even bother with the boss. its the fastest disc on the market, so you really have to chuck it to get it to fly straight. i've only played 2.5 years, but my best advice would be to learn how you throw comfortably, then find a disc to cater to that, rather than "learning" the disc. I still throw my Roc farther than my drivers because thats the disc i can get to hold a straight line for the whole flight. if you want to keep strokes off your game, put the boss on the shelf and worry about throwing drives in the fairway consistently, then parking your midrange under the basket on the 2nd shot...

I'm gonna jump on the "shelf that disc" bandwagon. Keep throwing that XL until you are confident that you have maxed it out and try the Boss again at some point in the future.

yeah i went out today and just threw some discs off an open hole several times today...i'm not a beginner per say, but apparently i have a long way to go...i outdrove my boss considerably every time with a pro valkyrie...guess i need to shelf my boss for a while as well...

yeah i went out today and just threw some discs off an open hole several times today...i'm not a beginner per say, but apparently i have a long way to go...i outdrove my boss considerably every time with a pro valkyrie...guess i need to shelf my boss for a while as well...

Just put it in an envelope and mail it to:

Sidewinding
PO Box 27
Weir, TX 78674

The Boss was not really meant for forehand, but its easier to get the disc up to its speed that way, so it flys the way its supposed to. I still have trouble getting any consistency from the Boss because if you don't hit it right, you going way off the fairway. I can only forehand the Boss because my backhand is not up to speed for it, but I do have a sweet sidearm. I don't use the Boss unless its a wide open 400'+ hole anyways and still not gonna use it a tourney. If you want to learn the forehand, the Champ Banshee 172g is probably the best disc for that. Until you forehand the Banshee 300+, keep the Boss on the shelf.

I've only been playing for about 7 months but I feel very confident when throwing my boss. I think (with me at least) it comes down to technique. Im able to throw it 400' easily with a clean toss but that consist of a good cross step up while I'm turning my hips into the throw (RHBH). Also if you dont keep the nose of the boss down you'll probably just catch wind and it will slow down super fast and fade short. I remember something my cousin told me when I was first learning. It might not be PC but "slap the midget" lol. I also agree with the rest of the people in this thread, if you dont have the arm to throw the boss shelf it and save yourself the trouble. I also have an XL and its a great disc so I would keep driving with that one until you've perfected it then maybe give the boss another shot. Its very capable of going 400' on every toss if thrown correctly.

It might not be PC but "slap the midget" lol.

I think we have a nominee for the best single post of 2009. Great advice ryfle. Next time I play I am going to add this to all the things I try to remember on the teepad. grip, footwork, accelerate through the hit, slap the midget, follow through.

that's what i tell everyone that is playing for the first time. someone said it to me when i started and i pass it on.

that's what i tell everyone that is playing for the first time. someone said it to me when i started and i pass it on.

Right on man! For me it was probably the single best advice I was giving on improving my game, especially with the boss:D

The best way to get the Boss to fly right is to learn to throw >400'. The best way to do that is to not throw the Boss and focus on slower discs in lower end plastic. The XL you have is an excellent disc with which to learn.

What's happening is you aren't getting the Boss up to it's cruising speed. What will probably happen if you keep throwing it is you'll learn bad habits in an attempt to get the Boss to fly right rather than learning good habits that will allow you to throw faster discs well. I know it sounds backwards, but really the best way to learn to throw really fast discs is to not throw really fast discs...at least until you've learned to throw slower discs.

^^ Second that.

However, if you still want to throw the boss, becasue its new and shiny, your best bet is th throw a shallow anhyzer forehand or backhand, about 20 degree angle with the outside wing above the sholder. Rotate your whole body through the shot and really try to power through the shot (the sort of power that would put someones face through a window), try to keep the disc lowish in the sky up to 40ft up anyhigher and youll loose distance if you havent stalled out already.
The other thing that really helps me is make sure your standing high up, the boss likes plenty of air to fly in! with about 15m elevation i got mine out to 490 the a couple of weeks ago!
Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies!

I appreciate everyone's input and most have confirmed what I was affaid of that I'm not ready for this disc. I will keep throwing my other favorites and try to improve my technique. I was hoping that I might somehow power it to do my will but understand that I don't possess that power....yet! Again, you guys are great and I love this site and especially will think of hitting someone who is vertically challenged with every throw!

it really is more about form and technique than power...i have seen videos of scrawny pre-teen boys throwing further with ease than i ever have on my best day...

yea i'm only 15 but i can throw further than most people i play with in tournaments my drive is about 300-350 and im not a very brolic kid i just have my form down and im a pitcher so it sort of helps my forehand

Latest posts