• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Champion Boss

lawnmower,nipple, towel

That's what i was told when forst starting out, and it makes sense. First act like you're rip starting a mower, bring the disk across your nipples, and then act like you're snapping a towel at the end. It's not hard for guys to think of nipples, but during a frisbee toss, try and concentrate on your own. :)

I just got my boss and it is taking some time to get broken in. I have played for 2 yrs now, and I don't have the kind of arm for this disc. I will admit though, i have lucked up and got a good backhand yank, and that disc hauled tail.

Would this be a backhand slap the midget with the throwing hand, or is this the follow through palm slap the midget with the non throwing hand?

I got a Champ Boss in my players pack last November. It went straight into my big box of "possible for trade later" discs. I'll stick to my Teebirds and TL's as they're more forgiving, and don't need as much torque.

Needless to say, watching newbie players trying to throw these superspeed drivers, and often very badly, is a hilarious source of comedy.

Would this be a backhand slap the midget with the throwing hand, or is this the follow through palm slap the midget with the non throwing hand?

For me, it would be the backhand. I actually just lost my favorite boss today at sunset. Once mine got worn in it became a GREAT disc. Stable enough to play the sharp hyzer, keep it flat, or for max distance turn it over and watch it soar in all its glory. Suffice to say if you the arm to throw this it can be very controllable once broken in a little.

im loving this thing more every time i throw her..fastest disc ever?...it goes and goes and goes...getting psyched that spring is coming and this thing will be my big "d" disc for the season

The best way to get the Boss to fly right is to learn to throw >400'. The best way to do that is to not throw the Boss and focus on slower discs in lower end plastic. The XL you have is an excellent disc with which to learn.

What's happening is you aren't getting the Boss up to it's cruising speed. What will probably happen if you keep throwing it is you'll learn bad habits in an attempt to get the Boss to fly right rather than learning good habits that will allow you to throw faster discs well. I know it sounds backwards, but really the best way to learn to throw really fast discs is to not throw really fast discs...at least until you've learned to throw slower discs.

I agree. The Boss is really only meant for 400 foot plus throws. Unless you get it up to max speed, it's not going to fly like it is supposed to. I think that is why you hear so much about it being overstable. Most people don't throw it fast enough for it not to be overstable. I have two of them that I throw and one is definitely more understable than the other one.

Do you feel the same way about the groove? I throw on good days between 360 + and felt that the groove was much more controllable then the Boss. I liked the disc a lot for strong headwinds cause it wouldn't turn over like the rest of my discs. I wouldn't use it for much more then that kind of situation tough.

Do you feel the same way about the groove? I throw on good days between 360 + and felt that the groove was much more controllable then the Boss. I liked the disc a lot for strong headwinds cause it wouldn't turn over like the rest of my discs. I wouldn't use it for much more then that kind of situation tough.

I have 2 bosses, one is broken in really well and will fly a little understable depending on how I throw it. The other boss is almost brand new and its still very overstable. I can still throw both 400+ but I can play different/better lines using my boss thats broken in. When it comes to the groove Im still torn about it. I just dont think I have figured out the correct way to throw it but have had moments where its been awesome. I think I just need to throw it harder to really get that high speed turn working. I think the more I throw it the more I'll like it but for now its all about the boss for me.

everyone is different...i will never get a groove because a boss is not that hard to turn over for me, especially in a headwind..i love how friggin' far it goes though!!

Latest posts