• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chester SC State Park

filobedo

Double Eagle Member
I heard from someone close to the project that this property has 2 new courses in development but due to all the rain in SC the course installation was delayed. One course is 18 baskets and 7000 feet long and the other is a 9 hole course around 2000 feet long. Hopefully this will be complete in early October before the USDGC so visitors to Rock Hill can play. Chester is only about 20 minutes from Rock Hill and hopefully play will be consistent so the SC State Parks can see the interest and build more courses throughout SC if the funding is there. I have never been this excited about a course before so hopefully it turns out to be a great one!

Thanks for the reminder---I can pass right by there on my way to watch the USDGC. I hope it's finished but even if it's not, we should be able to get a peek at what's going to be.

Innova is involved with the design and installation, though I'm not sure who the actual designer is. A private foundation gave a $30,000 grant for it. A few weeks ago I heard "soon", which is all I know of the status.

That's pretty cool. There's not another course really very close to there. Looks like it's about 20 miles to either of the next 2 nearest courses.

It's only about an hour from me, which is pretty cool.

More exciting is inroads into the South Carolina State Parks. Last I heard, Sadjo was working on one in the upstate. Some other states have numerous courses in state parks; if they're pleased with this one and the idea spreads, it would really open up some opportunities.

PDGA course directory says that 9 holes (of the 27 planned) are now playable.

Chester State Park was right on my way from Stoney Hill back to Charlotte. Scenic route. Pretty lake and trees to work a course around. $2 entrance fee. Would be a marathon, playing 25 at Stoney Hill and 36 in Chester. Looking forward to it.

"Grand Opening of SC's newest course...Chester State Park on Nov 16th, 10:30 a.m. Come out & show your support if you are not in Walhalla. The 1st course in SC's 47 State Park system. 759 State Park Rd, Chester 29706. 27 holes! 9-short, 18-long (7296') avg 405' w/longest 819'. $2 entrance fee (all State Parks)."

---Alan Beaver's Facebook post.

Can't wait to play it! Might have to suddenly get 'sick' and miss a day of work.

I'm hoping to make a trip down to All-Terrain tomorrow, so I'll have to take a detour to get a sneak peak at the course.

I'm hoping to make a trip down to All-Terrain tomorrow, so I'll have to take a detour to get a sneak peak at the course.

Good idea....

We're waiting on word whether it has been completed, and November 16 is the "Grand Opening", or whether they're intending to have it completed in time for that. In other words, if you go tomorrow it may be missing something. Like baskets.

But go ahead, and let us know what you find.

It'll only be a short detour off I-77. No big loss if it's all for naught.

Heard through the grapevine that someone played 18 holes there yesterday.

Don't know if this means the other 9 weren't in yet, or the other 9 are in a separate loop he couldn't find.

I played it today. I could only find 18 holes. The front nine has two tee pads (long and short), so that may be where they're claiming this is a 27-hole layout.

Course has some great holes. It reminded me a toned-down Nevin. It's heavily wooded, with most, but not all, fairways wider than what we're accustomed to in Charlotte. Two holes are at least 800 feet. It's definitely an advanced-level course.

Overall, the course was easy to navigate. The tee signs were already in. Baskets have arrows pointing to the next tee signs. A little more signage would be helpful, especially on the holes that long transitions and/or have you crossing other paths. If I had to rate Chester, it'd be a solid 4.0 in my book.

It only took 25-30 minutes to get from All-Terrain to Chester, so that will turn into a great 1-2 punch for a DG daytrip.

I'll post the hole distances in here once I can locate my scorecard. I'll let Alan or someone else involved with Chester actually list the course on here. I don't want to step on toes by doing that.

Here are the hole layouts. The front nine has long (blue) and short (red) tees. I think this is 100% accurate, but there's a slight chance I could have missed a dual-layout on the front 9.

#1 - 234 - only one tee
#2 - 204/357
#3 - 345 - only one tee
#4 - 192/306
#5 - 297/465
#6 - 153/321
#7 - 252 - only one tee
#8 - 565/819
#9 - 315/405

Out- 2557/3504

#10 - 426
#11 - 327
#12 - 618
#13 - 336
#14 - 354
#15 - 309
#16 - 234
#17 - 384
#18 - 804

In - 3792
Total - 7296

From the Charlotte DGC board:

10:30 am Saturday at the disc golf parking lot 100 yards or so from the lake at the back of the park.

This is a Russell Schwarz designed course and is the first course in a State Park in SC

759 State Park Rd

Chester, SC 27906

Latest posts