• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chicago?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess Bears/Blackhawks fans ain't half bad after all. ;)

Okay, suppose I would be playing with a friend and co-worker for his FIRST round? He was a QB in college and still pretty athletic, but is Highland going to be "too much" (if there is such a thing)?

If he's athletic he will be fine. There is a bit of up and down but there are nice stairs throughout. For his first time playing he might be frustrated as its a challenging course however the views and scenery are awesome and that will make up for it to him. As a frame of reference, I have brought guys from work there after work a few times cause they were curious and wanted to try the game out. They love the place because of the uniqueness. Its a special course. He will have fun.

If he is brand new to the game......I wouldn't take him to Highland first, I would go to Community Park first (I personally wouldn't take a beginner to either one of those first). The Oaks in Mokena IL would be a great course to take someone for the first time (if the pads are clear and dry because they are rubber). If the winter is still rough around the time you come, I would maybe take your buddy to one of the numerous short niners (pick one close to your hotel as there is not a whole lot of difference between most of them) in the area first before you take him for a full 18 or more.......Beginners need to be introduced in baby steps in the beginning IMO. Its up to you though......

On a side note if you really want him to have a miserable time (and yourself for that matter) take him to Summit.......:|

Agree with all the rest.
From Eagle Ridge is Jericho Lake 3.1 miles course friendly and easy to follow. When in Feb are you coming? Don't let the water scare you the water runs along side of fairways only cross over once from longs.
First nine one side back track a little over the bridge for the back nine.

Community from the short pads is pretty darn beginner friendly, short distances and mostly pretty generous fairways. Jericho is also a great beginner friendly layout from the shorts.

If he is brand new to the game......I wouldn't take him to Highland first, I would go to Community Park first (I personally wouldn't take a beginner to either one of those first). The Oaks in Mokena IL would be a great course to take someone for the first time (if the pads are clear and dry because they are rubber). If the winter is still rough around the time you come, I would maybe take your buddy to one of the numerous short niners (pick one close to your hotel as there is not a whole lot of difference between most of them) in the area first before you take him for a full 18 or more.......Beginners need to be introduced in baby steps in the beginning IMO. Its up to you though......

On a side note if you really want him to have a miserable time (and yourself for that matter) take him to Summit.......:|

Summit looks like a great place to lose discs!

Agree with all the rest.
From Eagle Ridge is Jericho Lake 3.1 miles course friendly and easy to follow. When in Feb are you coming? Don't let the water scare you the water runs along side of fairways only cross over once from longs.
First nine one side back track a little over the bridge for the back nine.

I will be up there Feb. 4th and 5th, and then again on the 17th-19th. Best opportunity to play 18-36 holes is probably the first trip up. Really hoping for minimum snow on the ground, but not counting on it.

No one mentioned West Park in Joliet? Maybe not one of the best but definetly still worth your time. Oldest course in Illinois.

^ Natural tee pads and winter can be a rough combo. West park is a fun old school course though. This ain't the time of year for that place though.

Not to mention that some of the lower areas turn into giant muddy swamps when it starts to melt a little.

Highland Park in Joliet is the best in the area currently.

^ Natural tee pads and winter can be a rough combo. West park is a fun old school course though. This ain't the time of year for that place though.

Didn't even think about that. That place could be dangerous even when dry.

What's the weather like over there now? Cold as balls, and 8-12 inches if snow? That's what we have here, but I'm heading to Naperville Monday 2-3.

Also, do you guys have a disc shop over there that I should check out, preferably one that carries Gateway and Vibram?

It's warming up into the 20's today. Enough snow on the ground to swallow a disc, I think. I'm waiting for it to melt a little before throwing again. :\

The only disc shops I have been to are Aces and Chains near West Park and Highland Liquors near Highland.

It's warming up into the 20's today. Enough snow on the ground to swallow a disc, I think. I'm waiting for it to melt a little before throwing again. :\

The only disc shops I have been to are Aces and Chains near West Park and Highland Liquors near Highland.

Cool, thanks. I may not risk it, but I will be getting into Naperville around 3pm Monday.

Booked a hotel in Aurora, so I'm gonna try to hit the course in Oswego or the Jericho course. Awwww yeahhhhh.

Jericho's meh, Oswego is legit.

Latest posts