• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cincinnati courses

esjaygee

Bogey Member
Hi -

I'm heading to Cincy this weekend with my brothers and we're looking for any advice on local courses. We're planning on playing Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge and Mt Airy for sure. Are there any other courses that stand out in the area that are must plays? The three I've mentioned are all bigger courses, I'd love to play a shorter technical course too. Also, if there are any courses that are unplayable or are in really bad shape I'd love that info too.

This is what I've found from my research:

Top Tier: Idlewild, Mt Airy Forest, Lincoln Ridge Park

Next Tier: Boone Woods Park, Winton Woods, Gardner park, Woodland Mound

Playable: Surge DGC, Heritage Park, William Harbin, AJ Jolly, Fairfield , Amelia

Last options: Embshoff, St. Bernard, Highland Hills, Alexandria, Karl Von Coldeway

Not open/playable: Burnett Woods, Pride Park, Crittenden

Thanks for any information you can provide. I'm very excited for our four day disc golfing adventure!!

Steve

Aside from the big three, I would recommend Woodland Mound for the best Steady Ed course in the city, but it's not very technical. AJ Jolly would be another OK course, but it's more scenic than interesting. Monroe and Turtlecreek north of the city would make for a decent day, as well as Mason Sports Park (nice 9 holer) and Gulley.

Dayton is a short drive away and they also have some great courses up there. If you are just playing disc all weekend I'd suggest doing one day of Cinci courses and one day of Dayton courses. You won't be disappointed.

Dayton is a short drive away and they also have some great courses up there. If you are just playing disc all weekend I'd suggest doing one day of Cinci courses and one day of Dayton courses. You won't be disappointed.

We're staying in a VRBO cottage in Petersburg, KY so we're pretty much sticking to Cincy courses for Friday and Saturday. We might play Boondocks and/or New Creations on the way down. I'll have to check out Dayton later on in the summer though.

If you need/want plastic, head to Mt Airy first, they have an awesome disc golf store on site. I found some choice plastic in there used bins. Expect a mostly long and somewhat open course. There is a very cool 9 holer downtown, Surge, You prob want to use a map, or play it with a local though.

If you need/want plastic, head to Mt Airy first, they have an awesome disc golf store on site. I found some choice plastic in there used bins. Expect a mostly long and somewhat open course. There is a very cool 9 holer downtown, Surge, You prob want to use a map, or play it with a local though.

Yep, their pro shop is sweet. Very well stocked. I picked up my ESP Comets there and found a no tooling proto Wizard in the used bin.

Add the Gulley to your list. It's north about 45 mins from downtown but so is Turtlecreek. The Gulley is fun, only down side is the tee pads suck.

Stick to the big 3 or you'll simply be disappointed unless you have am players in your group. I hated Winton 15 years ago and thought most of Woodland Mound was a joke 2 years ago, Harbin was average this past year when I was in town.

You have to play idlewild and if need you need a local to help you around the course just shot me a PM. I live within walking distance from there and am off Friday and Saturdays

Also, Boone Woods is only a 5 minute drive from idlewild so its easy to play both

Top Tier: Idlewild, Mt Airy Forest, Lincoln Ridge Park
^^I agree completely. Along with these I would add Oxford and the private course Cabin Creek.
Next Tier: Boone Woods Park, Winton Woods, Gardner park, Woodland Mound
^^All of these courses need to be knocked down a couple tiers, you were given bad info here unless you want beginner courses. Boone isn't bad until the back 9.
Playable: Surge DGC, Heritage Park, William Harbin, AJ Jolly, Fairfield , Amelia
^^AJ Jolly, William Harbin then Heritage in that order of most interesting or enjoyable. All three are better then your "next tier" courses above.
Last options: Embshoff, St. Bernard, Highland Hills, Alexandria, Karl Von Coldeway
^^I wouldn't even consider these.
:)

Add Turtlecreek, Monroe and like I said before, the Gulley to your second tier.

Last edited:
Add the Gulley to your list. It's north about 45 mins from downtown but so is Turtlecreek. The Gulley is fun, only down side is the tee pads suck.

Which tee pads are you referring to, the 70s carpeting or the dirt strips? Still a fun course.:D

No issue with the top three. Heed Jay Dubs advice on the courses to avoid and add Amelia to that mix.

If you can finish the top three in one day, go north and play Monroe 24, Turtlecreek 18, Gully 18, or Lebanon 9 and Mason 9. Mason being the best 9 hole course Ive ever played. If it rains at all, skip Monroe unless you do not mind walking in mud.

Another choice would be to play Cabin Creek(private) and Germantown. Germantown is a Red Course 18 /Black Course 27 combo that is enjoyable enough, Cabin Creek is fun, on a paint ball course.

Emshoff, Winton Woods, and Woodland require yearly or daily vehicle permits.

Depends on what you are looking to accomplish on the trip? Quality or Quantity?

Thanks for all of the tips, I've passed them onto my playing partners. We're mainly going for quality, though adding in some quantity, especially an end of the day 9-hole round if it's near where we're heading for dinner. We might even add in a night round, if the course is open and permits it. Boone Woods would make a logical night round spot since we're staying in Petersburg, KY and it's not too far from our cottage.

We're thinking of playing Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge on Friday as we're assuming they'd be more crowded on Saturday. Then we'd head north and play Mt Airy and some of the others from this list on Saturday. Options for the way in/out are New Creations or Boondocks or perhaps something off I-65 in Indianapolis.

Me and my friends were playing night golf at boone woods for the last couple months and last week we were run off by the cops. This park closes at dark. AJ Jolly permitts night golf