• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild Road Trip

toddnick

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I researched the courses in the Cincinnati area and this is the agenda I came up with. Any comments or suggestions? I'm tent camping at East Fork State Park for 3 nights.

Thursday 4/30 - Drive from Buffalo to Columbus, stay with my nephew for 1 night.
Friday 5/1 - Play Idlewild, Play Lincoln Ridge
Saturday 5/2 - Play Osage, Play Williamsburg
Sunday 5/3 - Play Idlewild, Play Mount Airy
Monday 5/4 - Drive to Buffalo

Last edited:
East Fork is pretty far out of the way for anything but your Saturday. I'm guessing that's why you picked W'burg?

Everything is within an hour of base camp; kind of an unofficial distance. Williamsburg is the lowest rated course but I didn't see any other options within an hour....and is pairs pretty well with Osage in terms of location...

If you have a suggestion on a better plan, let me know...

If you haven't, consider Caesar Ford Park in Xenia. New champ level course getting very nice feedback.

I'm more of a woods guy...but Caesar Ford looks interesting...J. Gary design (like two of my favorites...Deer Lakes and Moraine)...about an hour and 15 minutes from camp and not really close to any of the others...we'll see, though a little extra drive for a great course is something I do all the time...

I tried to improve your schedule and couldn't. There are many other nice courses in the area but you hit the best.
Williamsburg has had a lot of work done lately, I haven't been there since they did all the work but reports have been real good so you shouldn't be disappointed.

Yea, the ratings would likely be a bit higher for Williamsburg if they could reset and start over. That course is vastly different than when most of those people reviewed it.

Actually, it doesn't look like its had any reviews since they changed the layout and added the new holes. SO you could be the first to give the new layout a review and rating.

I researched the courses in the Cincinnati area and this is the agenda I came up with. Any comments or suggestions? I'm tent camping at East Fork State Park for 3 nights.

Thursday 4/30 - Drive from Buffalo to Columbus, stay with my nephew for 1 night.
Friday 5/1 - Play Idlewild, Play Lincoln Ridge
Saturday 5/2 - Play Osage, Play Williamsburg
Sunday 5/3 - Play Idlewild, Play Mount Airy
Monday 5/4 - Drive to Buffalo

There's another thing I just thought of. Since you guys are tent camping, go look around for a couple specific sites. While a lot of the sites are sitting in the wide open, there are a few sites spread around the campground that are mostly inside the forest, except for where you park and the electric boxes. If you guys want some privacy while you are there, go look for one of these. Its been a long time since I was there and I can't give you an exact site number but I know there is at least one each in Loop J and Loop L. If you like having electricity, you will need to bring an extra long extension cord and maybe even two if you go this route. There is also at least one on the other side of the campground but can't remember what loops. Though it is possible that the Emerald Ash borer has changed the way things look around there.

Its possible I may be in that area at some point between now and then, if you are interested in one of these, let me know and I can do a quick scout for you if they'll let me.

Also, you might want to think about playing Idlewild on Friday afternoon and Lincoln Ridge in the morning. Lincoln gets quite busy in the afternoon and Idlewild for the most part, doesn't get a lot of heavy traffic unless a tourney is going on. Either way, playing both those courses in one day is a pretty good workout, so grab so snacks at the very least and maybe even pack a lunch if you play Idle in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Interesting to hear that Lincoln gets more traffic. I put Idlewild in the morning on Friday and Sunday because I figured the "top 10" course would be the more heavily played.

In terms of camping, never been to East Fork or the Cincy area before. I prefer more wooded sites. I made my choice based on someone who mentioned they liked the site on a review; it is:

Camp Loop G - Campsite electric - 278

If anybody can tell me if that is a good site; that would be a bonus.

Idlewild gets all the great reviews from the good to pro level players. It is worthy of that, IMHO. But in general, I think it is too long and difficult for the rec player to want to play there much. That's where the crowds come from on a course, the sub-900 players. With dozens of courses in the area, there are lots of choices for the <900 players to go play.

For example, we took the kids to the Winton Woods course last fall, and it was PACKED. At least 12 different groups playing. Putter course. Even my 7 year old got a couple birdies with his 100' max drives. :) He would be lucky to score a double bogey on the shortest Idlewild hole.

Interesting to hear that Lincoln gets more traffic. I put Idlewild in the morning on Friday and Sunday because I figured the "top 10" course would be the more heavily played.

In terms of camping, never been to East Fork or the Cincy area before. I prefer more wooded sites. I made my choice based on someone who mentioned they liked the site on a review; it is:

Camp Loop G - Campsite electric - 278

If anybody can tell me if that is a good site; that would be a bonus.
We have a pretty large casual player population around here and Lincoln is definitely more friendly for that crowd. It may not be too big a deal depending on what time you plan on getting there. If its before 3pm, you would probably be ok.

Idlewild probably gets a bit more traffic nowadays and especially around the Idlewild Open but there are many a times where I haven't run across more than 2 or 3 groups on summer weekends there. Its just a marathon of a round for a group to play 24 longs and not really a great course to play solo rounds considering all the blind shots and places you might have to search for discs. That time of year, the weeds may not be too bad yet, so if you guys typically play fast and don't wind up searching too much, you can maybe get in under 2 1/2hr but look for that round to take 3 1/2hr+ if your a slower group.

Looking at the site map, that one is definitely on the edge of the campground so you should probably be good. If not, I wouldn't think that would be too busy a weekend to look around for something better.

You'll understand why Lincoln Ridge is considerably more crowded when you play both. One's torture. The other's a funhouse.

If you are planning to do anything besides throw when you're in town, East Fork is pretty far away from most visitor activities. I'm not sure what your full intentions are for the area though.

Last edited:
I'm really just planning on disc golf round 1, breakfast/lunch out, disc golf round 2, cook dinner on grill at campsite, campfire every day. Also plan to hit a Skyline Chili and Waffle House (we don't have those in Buffalo). So, being out of the prime Cincinnati attractions area is fine.

Like I said, East Fork State Park is within an hour of all the courses, so should be fine.

I play a lot of multiple round days, played Deer Lakes twice and Moraine once all in the same day in Pittsburgh, so should be able to handle any two courses in a day. I also hike in the Rockies a few weeks a year.

Do they just skip 6 of the holes at Idlewild for the national event or are holes reconfigured to make an 18 hole course?

I'm really just planning on disc golf round 1, breakfast/lunch out, disc golf round 2, cook dinner on grill at campsite, campfire every day. Also plan to hit a Skyline Chili and Waffle House (we don't have those in Buffalo). So, being out of the prime Cincinnati attractions area is fine.

Like I said, East Fork State Park is within an hour of all the courses, so should be fine.

I play a lot of multiple round days, played Deer Lakes twice and Moraine once all in the same day in Pittsburgh, so should be able to handle any two courses in a day. I also hike in the Rockies a few weeks a year.

Do they just skip 6 of the holes at Idlewild for the national event or are holes reconfigured to make an 18 hole course?

They skip 6 holes. Udisc has the map for the DGPT layout I believe. Play all holes long tee to long pin if there's an option.

Anybody know if Mount Airy is open? Headed to Cincinnati area on Friday...looks like Lincoln Ridge, Osage, and Idlewild are open but Mount Airy is currently noted as closed for virus...

Latest posts