• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Clash of the Titans part II- G* Corvette vs. G* Shryke

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
In the neverending search to find the holy grail of sheer distance drivers, I decided to put a couple heavyweights against each other today. Shryke is 168g and Corvette is 170g. In addition to these two I had a smattering of other fast, long distance stuff in the mix. However, the Shryke and Corvette were the point(s) of emphasis.

This was a slugfest that didn't disappoint. Overall I felt like the G* Corvette and G* Shryke were pretty much neck and neck. In most instances the Corvette would outdo the Shryke by 10' or so. However, the Shryke would then respond by beating the Corvette a couple times in a row.

There are some subtle flight differences between the two discs. The Corvette is undeniably faster than the Shryke. It simply gets downrange better and on a straighter trajectory. The Shryke seemed more reliant on height and S curve to attain big yardage. Both have 6 glide. The Shryke was a hair flippier, and would drift right more frequently. I had to put a little more hyzer on it than the Corvette.

Top distance with both discs today was roughly 480'. Throwing conditions were good, and I was feeling it. Warm with very little wind. The Corvette achieved this distance more often than the Shryke, but both discs ultimately had very similar max distance throws.

If I had to pick one or the other I'd take the Corvette at this point. Its just a tad more stable than the Shryke. That means I can be more aggressive when I throw it, and I don't need as much hyzer. The Corvette also performs better in breezes. The G* plastic provides a good grip and an absolutely stunning flight. A disc that combines speed, high speed turn, exceptional glide, and mellow fade. I've had my G* Corvette less than 2 weeks, and in that time it has already gone to the very top of the list as far as longest discs I've ever thrown. The Shryke was hardly a disappointment though. It spent the whole session nipping at the Corvette's heels, beating it a couple times. I figure I threw each disc 25 times.

I had the Knight with me today. Gold line 174g. My Knight has become too beat to compete with the G* Corvette. It simply flips over and won't come back anymore. I was still getting it 450' consistently, but the Corvette and Shryke were almost always longer. The Knight penetrates well, but doesn't glide like the Shryke or Corvette. It requires a pretty steep hyzer release to keep from flipping.

Surprise disc of the day, IMO, was a tournament burst King, 173g. I'm not really a huge King fan. I find them too touchy/flippy. They're a chore to throw and impossible to control. Late in the session this particular King ripped off a couple 475' throws in a row, beating the Shryke and Corvette. On the proper hyzerflip line the King was eating up distance with little effort. The Corvette was substantially longer than the King on most throws, but the King slipped past it by 20' a couple times. I'm liking tournament burst plastic. That stuff glides well. I've thrown other discs in that plastic and had similar success.

One last note: All of these throws were hyzerflips. I got tired of trying to anny everything. I was losing distance and lots of consistency. I figured out that a good, low hyzerflip will beat any anhyzer I can possibly throw for distance.

Last edited:
One last note: All of these throws were hyzerflips. I got tired of trying to anny everything. I was losing distance and lots of consistency. I figured out that a good, low hyzerflip will beat any anhyzer I can possibly throw for distance.

QFT

Dialing it in, however, is what I would assume puts many people off of it. Easier to turn over something more (over)stable and have it fade back vs touchy release and nose angles. That said, knowing the latter will out perform the former...unless you're throwing 800' on a windy day;)

Welp, I guess I'm trying a Gstar Corvette against my stack of Cannons lol

QFT

Dialing it in, however, is what I would assume puts many people off of it. Easier to turn over something more (over)stable and have it fade back vs touchy release and nose angles. That said, knowing the latter will out perform the former...unless you're throwing 800' on a windy day;)

Welp, I guess I'm trying a Gstar Corvette against my stack of Cannons lol

I actually enjoy throwing anhyzers, but going for sheer distance I get way better results just tossing low hyzerflips instead. Lately the only time I've been favoring annies is when I'm throwing a beefy disc that won't hyzerflip.

I've thrown numerous Cannons. They're hit or miss for me. The G* Corvette beats all of them EASILY for max distance. The G* Corvette is also a little flippier than any Cannon I've seen.

I've broken 500' with them a few times recently, been throwing way more in 2020 than the past few years and got my distance back. Feels wonderful...hell, parked a 458' uphill over a creek and up a tight fairway like two weeks ago (sorry about the brag:D). If you insist Corvettes fly farther I'll absolutely take your word and give one or three a shot.

You mentioned Gstar being more understable than the Star, IIRC you didn't throw any Champ. Would you say the regular Stars you've been throwing are more understable than the Cannons you've thrown too?

I've broken 500' with them a few times recently, been throwing way more in 2020 than the past few years and got my distance back. Feels wonderful...hell, parked a 458' uphill over a creek and up a tight fairway like two weeks ago (sorry about the brag:D). If you insist Corvettes fly farther I'll absolutely take your word and give one or three a shot.

You mentioned Gstar being more understable than the Star, IIRC you didn't throw any Champ. Would you say the regular Stars you've been throwing are more understable than the Cannons you've thrown too?

Star Corvettes and Cannons seem fairly equal in terms of stability. I wouldn't classify either of them as flippy.

I haven't thrown any champion Corvettes yet.

Star Corvettes and Cannons seem fairly equal in terms of stability. I wouldn't classify either of them as flippy.

I haven't thrown any champion Corvettes yet.

I just got a champion Corvette, and it is the easiest distance I have ever achieved. Granted, I don't throw as far as the other posters on here (300' golf lines or up to 350' in a field) but this disc flies beautiful hyzer-flip to S lines with my forehand. Something that's probably important to note is that the disc weighs 163g, so a max weight one would probably be great for longer throwers than I.

I just got a champion Corvette, and it is the easiest distance I have ever achieved. Granted, I don't throw as far as the other posters on here (300' golf lines or up to 350' in a field) but this disc flies beautiful hyzer-flip to S lines with my forehand. Something that's probably important to note is that the disc weighs 163g, so a max weight one would probably be great for longer throwers than I.

I've had mixed results with star Corvettes. They tend to be on the beefy side. I can push them out to 450', but it isn't always easy to do. They aren't the greatest gliders I've ever seen.

The G* Corvette on the other hand is really easy, glidey distance.

A 163g Corvette would be a super bomber. I'd imagine probably flippy too. Interestingly, my lightest star (166g) is flat and really overstable.

I've had mixed results with star Corvettes. They tend to be on the beefy side. I can push them out to 450', but it isn't always easy to do. They aren't the greatest gliders I've ever seen.

The G* Corvette on the other hand is really easy, glidey distance.

A 163g Corvette would be a super bomber. I'd imagine probably flippy too. Interestingly, my lightest star (166g) is flat and really overstable.

Yeah my 163g champ Corvette is flippy. It has a nice dome, not quite a pop top, but if you press down on the top it does make a very quiet heartbeat like sound.

Latest posts